General Warriors Preseason 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 1 is confirmed to be the weekend of March 2nd/3rd as that's when the Vegas games are scheduled.
NRL GF is usually/always the first Sunday of October (day before Labour Day in Sydney) so that would be 6th of October.

My maths tells me that there would then be 28 rounds next season, and 4 weeks of playoffs.
Round 1 01 March
Round 28 06 September
NRL GF 06 October

Unless, round 1 is a split round where the Vegas teams dont play the next weekend. Has anyone heard?
Years ago when they were originally talking about two teams with a sponsor either connected to Asia or America there was talk of having them play the weekend before. I'm guessing this is what they'd do or have them come back and play one of the other. They should play one of the other teams anyway, similar to after ANZAC Day.

If it isn't played the weekend before I'm not sure where the extra week is going to be used.

I'd be surprised if there was 28 rounds as the players already pushed back on extra games with the last lot of negotiations.

The Vegas teams will play then the rest of round 1 will be the following weekend.

In round 2 the Vegas teams will rotate partners so there's no clear advantage/disadvantage.

Whose playing in Vegas?

RotoVegas? aka Rotorua?

Surely its not the mecca of sex, sin and gambling.... USA!

My breakout picks for 2024.
Berry - I think with this year's , another preseason and a bit more bulk he is going to be the shit.

Ford - will peak in the next couple of years because he works too hard not to. It's all in his head.

Barnett - he was good this year but I think his role changed and his body wasn't right for it. Next year he will be better suited to a middle role to support AFB.

Then we got any of the youngins who might make it - I.e. halasima, sifakula, leiataua etc. But anything could happen with them.

CHT is also in the back of my mind but I just don't know how that's going to pan out, might be good and at least he will fold some........
I'm going to call out Leiataua, he's definitely one for me that will be starting centre next year over Berry. I haven't been this excited for a rookie since SJ, he's that good!

Could we see Berry on the wing 2025?

I'm going to call out Leiataua, he's definitely one for me that will be starting centre next year over Berry. I haven't been this excited for a rookie since SJ, he's that good!

Could we see Berry on the wing 2025?

I can't see us splitting up the Berry/DWZ combo if all are fit and healthy.

It's been noted that we generally kick to the right because of how well that combo kick/chases.

On top of that the backline cohesion when moving the ball is something you don't just plug and play with someone new. Whether he's passing to DWZ or providing a decoy for CNK out the back, Berry plays his role well.

Oh - and as always.....All hail, The Berrysiah.

It's been noted that we generally kick to the right because of how well that combo kick/chases.

On top of that the backline cohesion when moving the ball is something you don't just plug and play with someone new. Whether he's passing to DWZ or providing a decoy for CNK out the back, Berry plays his role well.

IMO Berry doesn’t do anything special in DWZ’s tries. Any centre playing first grade should be able to do what he does.
Any outside back should be able to kick chase.
Berry is a solid player but we need more than that to win it all.
I hope Ali does step up.

IMO Berry doesn’t do anything special in DWZ’s tries. Any centre playing first grade should be able to do what he does.
I hope Ali does step up.
I agree. Berry is solid without being spectacular. We need more X-factor to push the very top teams and Ali provides it.

Berry with another preseason could be exceptional and he has a decent first grade career ahead of him but I feel we’ve stuffed up with 4 first grade centres, meaning some good players development will suffer.

There was a glaring difference in the Broncos game between elite and middle of the pack. Farmworth looked dangerous everytime he held the ball. Just unpredictable and fast. Clinton Toopi had the same attributes . Neither Pompey nor Berry have that speed or aura of unpredictability. Definitely good enough to get the bus in top8 but not if we’re hoping for glory. Look at the Panthers and Crichton, so hard to contain and control out wide

Definitely a major game plan in 2023, perhaps we will see more variety next year with Roger very able to offer good kick chase on the left.

I hope Ali does step up.

And yet so many centres wouldn't or won't do it. So many will just jog down on a kick chase or go themselves when they have a man outside.

Should is a hypothetical, what's on tape is reality.

There are players who are individually better or more talented, but just aren't reliable.

The closest comparison to Berry currently would be how Wayne Bennett felt about Mick Devere. Nothing flash, he was just reliable

That right hand side is reliable. I can't see us breaking that up for potential. Ali or anybody else is going to have to show that same reliability first.

Last edited:
And yet so many centres wouldn't or won't do it. So many will just jog down on a kick chase or go themselves when they have a man outside.

There are players who are individually better or more talented, but just aren't reliable.

The closest comparison to Berry currently would be how Wayne Bennett felt about Mick Devere. Nothing flash, he was just reliable

That right hand side is reliable. I can't see us breaking that up for potential. Ali or anybody else is going to have to show that same reliability first.
I think Ali will push for it but I doubt Pompey gets a shot without injury

Still think Berry has that ability to beat a man on the outside with his strength and fend. Even a half break and arms free gives DWZ that half yard to get in. They seem very comfortable together and that goes a long way with confidence.

I think Curran will have a big off-season too and be really pushing to start next year. He was quoted a couple of times this year as saying he wasn't happy with his off-season and fitness and was disappointed not to be starting.
Playing for a contract too ..

There was a glaring difference in the Broncos game between elite and middle of the pack. Farmworth looked dangerous everytime he held the ball. Just unpredictable and fast. Clinton Toopi had the same attributes . Neither Pompey nor Berry have that speed or aura of unpredictability. Definitely good enough to get the bus in top8 but not if we’re hoping for glory. Look at the Panthers and Crichton, so hard to contain and control out wide
I was just thinking this week about Farnworth’s style of play - and how RTS could be that type of player for us.

Still think Berry has that ability to beat a man on the outside with his strength and fend. Even a half break and arms free gives DWZ that half yard to get in. They seem very comfortable together and that goes a long way with confidence.
Berry will most certainly field offers for 2025 in November, hope the club is clear with him if they see him in their future past next year.

Is there any centre that can stop Dallin being so lost on his edge? Has he ever jammed successfully? Haha

100% this.

And it's common sense.

People thinking just get rid of Berry, aren't watching the Dally M winger of the year scoring tries for fun or whose leading the kick chase or listening to the coach.

I'd be very surprised if Berry is replaced considering our right side was on fire.

I'd be looking over my shoulder if I was Pompey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back