General Rd 18 - Titans vs Warriors Preview!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score

NRL - ROUND 18 PREVIEW

Titans vs Warriors
Skilled Park
Saturday 7th July, 7:30pm

Underwhelmed? I know I was. Who else was hungover, sitting around the TV doing shots last Sunday afternoon with their mates? I know I was. I had fleeting moments of cloudy optimism, however at the end of the day I couldn’t help but feel this was very much the same old shit sandwich. Anyway, now that the Origin fap-fest has come to a close it’s time to move on to Skilled Park, I’ll be there…will you?

RecentForm.jpg

What a way to make that under-strength Cowboys team look good. All they had to do was wait until our few form players left the field, complete a few sets, kick a few balls, and wait for our inevitable mediocrity to set in. Kudos to them and all that, but in reality if we were a team capable of anything decent we would have shut the gate a lot earlier.

The Titans had the week off though there’s doubt they’ll have all their Origin boys back. Despite a terrible start to the season, this team seems to be getting it together at the right end of the season. They’re a better team than what we encountered at Mt Smart earlier this year, don’t expect this result to be similar.

PlayersToWatch.jpg

Nathan Friend was excellent in his return last weekend. We finally looked like we had a clue out of dummy half. It seems our fortunes rely very heavily on the form of a certain few players, and whether or not they’re actually on the field.

Who else loves Konrad Hurrell? The Kondom is a try scoring machine and is fast becoming a fan favourite. I’ve been impressed with the way he’s improving on the little things in his game every week.

I’m not entirely sure what’s happening with Michael Luck…but this week on/week off stuff we’re seeing can hardly be beneficial to the overall flow of the team. I love the guy, but perhaps with 9 rounds left, and a body that clearly isn’t coping, it’s time to say enough is enough? Not sure, but this bench role and further time off is surely not the way forward for this team (for the rest of this year, or in preparation for next).

As for the Titans, well who could miss the massively overweight sight of Jamal Idris? None the less, he’ll be a handful. I expect Nate Myles to backup and the return of Bailey should help them front up to Matulino and co. Of concern specifically is Greg Bird – a player who seems to step up a level during and after Origin football, here’s hoping his injury gets the better of him this weekend. Scott Prince will be on song, and he knows where our weaknesses lie – repeat sets and solid, unspectacular football. We don’t associate them with scintillating attacking football, though that’s hardly what’s needed against our swiss cheese model of defence (to borrow that term from a friend).

Prediction.jpg

Well, let’s be honest. If we lose on Saturday, it’s season over and the forum will implode. Okay the latter isn’t true, but the only thing I expect to be even on the night is the crowd. The Titans haven’t been playing bad football over the past month, and there’s a genuine belief here they can make the finals. For whatever reason we’re favourites, don’t put your house on it. Home advantage to get them over the line in a tight one: Titans 26 – 18.

Revised prediction: Alright I usually wouldn't do this as I like to stick by my initial thoughts. But I can't ignore the players that are now out of tomorrow's game (Bird, Bailey, Myles...). So as a revised prediction , I still think it'll be poor quality, but the Warriors should get up through a superior forward pack. Warriors 28 - 22.

[TD2]Preview_WARTIT_NEW.jpg[/TD2]

Reaction score
Moz

Moz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Titans vs Warriors
Skilled Park
Saturday 7th July, 7:30pm

My prediction: Well, let’s be honest. If we lose on Saturday, it’s season over and the forum will implode. Okay the latter isn’t true, but the only thing I expect to be even on the night is the crowd. The Titans haven’t been playing bad football over the past month, and there’s a genuine belief here they can make the finals. For whatever reason we’re favourites, don’t put your house on it. Home advantage to get them over the line in a tight one: Titans 26 – 18.
not sure about how much of an advantage it will be at home gonna be a hell of alot of Warriors supporters there, either way should get a decent crowd for this game which is probably just what the accountants at Titans HQ need.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The way I see it, this game will decide our season. If we play well, and our coach learns lessons from last week about gameplan and picking your timimg for interchanges, and win (and also have the Tigers lose, thus thrusting us into the bottom of the top 8), it could start our season. If we go on and beat the Broncos, I believe we will ontinue to build toward the finals and possibly go deep into the finals. If we lose this week, we will definitely go down to the Broncs and our season will be over.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
Btw guys we're quite happy to have anybody do the 'official preview'. It's a weekly thing that we decided this site would produce, a fan written preview. I've been doing them to kick it off, but missed last week due to my stupid job getting in the way. If anyone is interested, fire me a PM. Doesn't have to be anything brilliant, it's just something to pump out late in the week when talk dies down a bit pre gameday.

Reaction score
warriors8

warriors8

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Dont know if this is on forum but are the boys staying in qld or coming back home then going back

Reaction score
iago

iago

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Luck needs to fuck right off. And it isn't season over if we lose on Saturday, it's season over right now.

Oh and Greg Bird is out, torn his pec.

Reaction score

Waiting For Premiership

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
My guess is that they will be staying, close to any theme parks seems the main area. Bluey will say that team bonding is required after the boys lost their way in the second half to lose after leading by 16 points withonly 17 mins remaining !!!!

Reaction score
Hitman82

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Luck needs to fuck right off. And it isn't season over if we lose on Saturday, it's season over right now.

You don't think we are a chance to make the 8?

Yeah good news about Bird; not the injury as I like him, but it's great we will play a weaker Titans team.

We need to beat the Titans and Broncos to show we are real contenders this season. These two wins would display the starch and mana which have been missing all season. But I don't think we will.

Hopefully Bluey plays Friend for the full 80 - apparently he was spewing about being benched last week, and rightfully so.

And, ToiletDuck ToiletDuck, hell yes I was overwhelmed by last week's performance. However, the individual efforts were mostly very good; I think bizarre bench rotation was the cause of our lapses. Johnson in particular impressed me - now let's see him do the same against a half decent team...

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

jesus.. bad day yesterday was it?

I don't even know the extent of his injury and how many weeks away he is, but i'd prefer him not to play until he's 100% and capable of the full 80 minutes. I think that should involve playing a game for the vulcans to make sure he's not just to fall apart again.. because as much as he lifts this team, his value is as n 80 minute player and as TD says it can't be helping the flow of the team. If he has played his last game for the club then that would be very said.. He has been a tireless servant for this club and would do anything for this team.. he certainly deserves a lot more respect than being told to "fuck right off". I know it's a fan forum but i really don't see the point in putting your thought in the harshest possible terms..

Reaction score

Jordan G

Our performance against the Cowboys was what you'd expect from a young side. Up 16-0, and then later on 22-6, and they go to sleep afterwards thinking they can cruise until the end.I didn't take a lot else from it to be honest.

Encouraging to see Johnson and Maloney take control with a good kicking game to force repeat sets (as well as both of them almost going through to score tries during that period) and then Friend taking advantage of tired defence. Good to see the spine doing their job when the games there to be won.

As I said last week on a different forum. If we don't beat the Cowboys and Titans then you can put a line through us this year and I stand by that statement. Our remaining 4 home games are very winable, but we need to pick up at least 1 away win (maybe 2) and this one should be at the top of the list.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
Btw guys we're quite happy to have anybody do the 'official preview'. It's a weekly thing that we decided this site would produce, a fan written preview. I've been doing them to kick it off, but missed last week due to my stupid job getting in the way. If anyone is interested, fire me a PM. Doesn't have to be anything brilliant, it's just something to pump out late in the week when talk dies down a bit pre gameday.
but Dr Faggot, I enjoy reading your previews. you have a knack of summing up the general feeling of the fans and give an honest voice of reason type analysis. oh and the eloquent terms like shit sandwich are good to! i hope you stay on. very hard act to follow.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
And, ToiletDuck ToiletDuck, hell yes I was overwhelmed by last week's performance. However, the individual efforts were mostly very good; I think bizarre bench rotation was the cause of our lapses. Johnson in particular impressed me - now let's see him do the same against a half decent team...

It was actually a difficult game for them, I mean other than a flawless performance from them...none of us would have been overly pleased given how under-strength the Cowboys were. So the result was exactly as predicted, a sub-par win that left us in limbo all week (in terms of how the team is actually performing).

The bench usage has been a mess all year. Guys like Matulino should be starting. If there's issues with the bench in other areas, then at least have your top players taking the field at the start of a match and go from there. Don't start benching them every 2nd week with weird plans involving the last 20 mins etc. Work that shit out around your best players playing in their best positions and starting the game. His bench use just seems so reactionary, like he decides how to use it based on what happened the week before, rather than how he plans to attack the coming game.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
What worries me is that after so many weeks, this team is playing nowhere near to its potential. In past seasons, we have shown what this team could do with a solid 80 minute performance. When has that happened this year. The team has gone backwards at a speed of knots, and not withstanding some great individual performances ie Johnson, Mateo, Matulino, we would be lower down the standings than we currently are.

Reaction score
Hitman82

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What worries me is that after so many weeks, this team is playing nowhere near to its potential. In past seasons, we have shown what this team could do with a solid 80 minute performance. When has that happened this year. The team has gone backwards at a speed of knots, and not withstanding some great individual performances ie Johnson, Mateo, Matulino, we would be lower down the standings than we currently are.
HURRELL. Without this guy, we would be bereft of any enthusiasm and penetration at certain parts of many games, not to mention also being down a try per game. Sometimes lately I've considered him our most important player on the field, for portions of a game. One major thing which stats won't tell you about, is his ability to pull out a try or a line break or a classy kick or an inspiring run at a time when the rest of our team look lethargic and disinterested. He stands out as a real "trier" in our team, which is a bit of a worry when you think about his rookie status and look at all the other guys who should be the ones leading by example.

We lack mana.

But yes, I agree we are nowhere near our potential, which is kind of ironic considering Bluey is noted as this amazing man motivator who can inspire the best performances from his teams.

Reaction score
OMG

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
What year was that?
We came through the Origin period last year with one win and then won 4 on the trot against terrible teams, IMO we played 2 solid 80 minute performances last year, both against the Storm, the year so far has a very similar feel about it and I don't think we have gone backwards, just the average age of the team has got younger and is lacking the experience to stay on task. Last week we went out to 16-0 so easily it was ridiculous and in that time we looked like real contenders and then came our usual 20 minute period without Russell and Ben where we look painfully inadequate. It's unexplicable to me how much direction we lose when these 2 aren't playing at the same time. This year Bluey has tried a number of starting and bench options, Ben and Sione starting was horrible, as was Russell and Ukuma, Russell and Sione wasn't so so bad, I believe Ben started on the bench because of the sternum injury, but it could have been to stop the 20 minute horror period. IMO we have dominated the best teams this year for long periods of time and once and if we sort out the 20 minute scramble we will surely go very very close to winning a maiden Premiership.
sidenote-boy have we missed Friend and Locke..

Reaction score
Sir Bluey

Sir Bluey

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Bird,Harrison,Myles out ...Bailey, Meads 50/50
Warriors by 6

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
I've revised my prediction given those injuries (see above). I actually agree with Sir Bluey.

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
this game wont even be close. Blow out to the Warriors.

Reaction score
22 BEAST

22 BEAST

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Reaction score
warriors8

warriors8

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
I'd rather lose against a full strength side then win against a side missing players to injury. Some of the talk that we will win easily against the Titans now that Origin players are out just seems like the only way we will make the 8 this year. I agree 50/50 but id rather see my team the Warriors win because they played hard, played well and deserved it 100%. Warriors to win by 2 and to scrape into the 8 hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom