Post Match Rd 14: Warriors Beat Roosters!

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
Poor bastard can't win! Question his captaincy when we lose, question his captaincy when we win. Look what he has had to put up with. Shit for brains players who think they know it all and better than everyone, a muppet of a coach last year, piss poor attitude from a large group of our players. It seems to me that he is only starting to get help since Elliott has arrived and it has taken a number of rounds to get anywhere. I would say the burden of all the above has taken its toll so much that he is struggling to enjoy it now it is starting to happen. I have been in a similar situation working your ass off to get things changed/happening and when it finally does you are drained and left wondering why has it taken so long for you guys to see the light. He was and still is best option as captain. That is all.

It's nothing new with Simon though, he is into his 4th year and after all we have just 6 wins from the season.
It can be a very mentally draining job, it isn't hard to find one of my posts on the subject, being such a young Captain has hindered his development as a player, over thinking shit, not wanting to make an error, not wanting to be the one that lets the team down.
He would have loved playing for the Kiwis in the past and just being able to play football without any cares or babysitting duties.
The Captaincy is a privilege that can be emotionally draining on and off the field, when times are good it can be all gravy, but when they aren't you can take it very personally.
I love the way Simon can play but he hasn't been done any favours by having the Captaincy IMO, he also hasn't been done any favours by playing right hand side, because he overcompensates for both his deficiencies (left shoulder)and others and has never really had the chance to learn one position that he is comfortable in. League is a simple game that can get over complicated for a number of reasons, as you age you never stop learning, this goes for Rugby League too, you get to 30 and think why the hell wasn't I doing that when I was 20.
No he isn't the best option for the Team at the moment, but there also isn't any one candidate suitable for the position, the role should be shared. I do think a move to the 13 is where he will be comfortable and help ease his mind making him a more efficient Captain and would bring out the best he has to offer, taking the Captaincy from him would bring out the real ugly monster in him but I don't see this as an option either. We do need him and hopefully he has had a chance to get over the niggles he has had.
Taylor is going great guns at 13 but is a better communicator than Simon and would be of greater assistance to Shaun Johnson and Kon playing there IMO.

Reactions: Inruin and Jay M
Poor bastard can't win! Question his captaincy when we lose, question his captaincy when we win. Look what he has had to put up with. Shit for brains players who think they know it all and better than everyone, a muppet of a coach last year, piss poor attitude from a large group of our players. It seems to me that he is only starting to get help since Elliott has arrived and it has taken a number of rounds to get anywhere. I would say the burden of all the above has taken its toll so much that he is struggling to enjoy it now it is starting to happen. I have been in a similar situation working your ass off to get things changed/happening and when it finally does you are drained and left wondering why has it taken so long for you guys to see the light. He was and still is best option as captain. That is all.

Personally, I think he has done the best he can. But right now - I don't think he is the right choice. I think that the things you mention above (players not putting in, coaches who were useless, etc) have taken a toll on him, and he needs to learn to enjoy the game again. Until he learns to enjoy the game again, we'll see him continue to stifle our right side attack (let's be fair - who thinks Hurrell is seeing enough quality ball in the attacking red zone? and no, it's not all Mannering's fault, but he doesn't help by putting the ball under his arm and hitting it up). He is a very different player right now, to when he took on the captaincy.

I think ME needs to sit down with Simon, and ask him if he WANTS to be captain, or if he thinks he would enjoy it more if he was just one of the boys again. Because there are other leaders in the team - Friend, Leuluai, Mateo, Nielsen, Packer, Rapira... Do I think any one of them would necessarily be better than Simon? No. Do I think we could benefit more from having Co-captains and sharing the responsibility? Yes. One captain can try to take on too much and it can take too much of a toll on him (e.g. Gallen at Cronulla can sometimes try too hard, and sometimes they perform better when he's not playing)... Co-captains, or a leadership group can result in several players all stepping up and playing with maturity (e.g. Souths)...

If Simon still wants to be captain, then ME needs to ask him how the rest of the side can help him to take some of the responsibility. Personally, I suspect Simon doesn't want the role anymore. A few weeks ago when we were losing, he offered to step down if people thought it would help the team. A captain who thinks he is the best leader in the club shouldn't need to do that. I couldn't see JT, or Smith, or Gallen ever suggesting it... If his heart isn't in it - then he might just keep going through the motions.

I'll repeat what I started with - I think he has done the best he can. But if his heart isn't in it, and if he doesn't want the job anymore (and based on body language on the field - I think these questions need to be asked) - then we need someone else, and if he is adamant he wants the job and wants to do it - then how can the rest of the side help him out... Because there were times only a handful of our players were putting in (Locke was another) - and no captain should ever be the lone ranger - it's a team game. Players need to know the captain's got their back (not necessarily in a fighting sense, but not necessarily a bad thing either - so please don't hold Rusty's arms again ;) ), but the captain also needs to know the players have got his back too...

Reactions: OMG
^^^Bang on about enjoying the game, that should be first and foremost, Simon is looking 30+ these days but is just coming into his prime.
It all lands back on Elliot and his decision making which to say the least I am a tad bit unhappy with, I was supporter from day one but some of his decisions have been woeful, I could live with Taylor at Hooker, but some abysmal decisions have seen us struggle most of the season, even the Roosters game where at one stage it looked like he might do something smart, but instead brings in Lowrie who despite what some have said is just very average, a momentum killer, who was nearly like a 14th man for the Roosters. He was a game changer all by himself. Lucky we do have some good forwards and our halves and backs had their best games of the season and what do we hear from the box FFS..Taylor has been playing like a loose forward should but nothing incredible, great tackle counts solid with the ball.
Lowrie is nothing better than a typical storm journeyman, trying to fit into a structure that doesn't suit, surprise surprise someone leaves the storm and is average..

Reactions: Jay M
I honestly expected to hear of him leaving the club in the off-season. I'd heard a few things through the grapevine that he was ready to jump ship last year due to frustrations with the way things were going. Maybe he doesn't really want the captaincy, but it's one of those things that's difficult to turn down, and more difficult to let go. Nobody wants to be the guy who gave up captaincy of a bunch of shit-for-brains players, only to see the next guy succeed.

From what I gather about the guy (please note, it's based on appearances and second-hand accounts), he's very much a no-fuss kind of character. The way players used to be before they started cuddling one another every time they did something good. Now, I'm not saying that Mannering shouldn't have gone over to congratulate Koni, maybe with a hug, peck on the cheek or a discrete dry hump, I'm just saying that doesn't seem to be his way, more like: "Yeah, kid, you did good, don't act like you've just won the game. You've got 60 more minutes of doing things correctly ahead of you. "

I'm not sure if we need the non-emotional captain, or the dry-humping, cheerleader captain. If the players chose Mannering, maybe they think they get enough bum-patting from their team-mates.
That's gold.

I just about Russelled myself