TeamList Team List Tuesday (2023 Finals Week 3) - Broncos vs Warriors

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Afternoon
12:00

Team Lists

IMO Suncorp is like a home game for us. Maybe not as feral as MSS but the players seem to be comfortable there and we have had some classic wins over the years. SJ getting the try of the year and burning the best backline in the comp in 2011. I know we lost by a point but this time around he gets to kick the winning penalty

Maybe just me but Suncorp doesn't seem as far removed from home as say AAMI park.

Anyone got any stats as to which Oz venues we have played the most?
We have played 22 at Suncorp for 6W 14L 2D
7 of those games were not against Brisbane
Against Brisbane 17-4-9-2

Oz venue we have played most at is the old SFS 26-15-10-1

This game has Melbourne Prelim final 2011 vibes for me. No one expects us to still be here let alone win the game. We were also bashed in week 1 in 2011 but came back to make the GF.
Hadn't watched this game in a few years now, just chucked it on Youtube from your comment.

Geez Rabs and Sterlo will probably the best calling pair to ever do it for mine. Rabs the best caller and Sterlo the best colour.

The most professional 80mins i'd ever seen us play, maybe even still? Lets hope Saturday can top it!

How good! And the NY Times of all rags! When I was in college in the US they would put out the local Houston Chronicle and NY Times on the tables in the dining room and I remember the 1 time there was an article about the All Blacks but never once did I see any mention of rugby league, let along one about the mighty One NZ Warriors. That's epic. Well done

For those that cant get past the paywall...

As a National Favorite Fumbles, New Zealand Falls for Another Rugby Team​

An improbable run by the New Zealand Warriors has offered some excitement to counter the All Blacks’ recent misfortune.

Two rugby players run behind one player who is holding the ball.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad of the New Zealand Warriors scoring a try during a rugby match in Auckland on Saturday.Credit...Fiona Goodall/Getty Images

Two rugby players run behind one player who is holding the ball.

By Pete McKenzie
Reporting from Wellington, New Zealand
Sept. 20, 2023Updated 1:16 a.m. ET
Sign up for The Interpreter newsletter, for Times subscribers only. Original analysis on the week’s biggest global stories, from columnist Amanda Taub. Get it with a Times subscription.
The New Zealand fan was despondent. He had just witnessed history in Paris, where rugby’s greatest team, the All Blacks of New Zealand, had suffered its first loss in the group stages of the World Cup. But when asked if he had a message for his compatriots back home, he looked into the TV camera, grinned and cheered: “Up the Wahs.”
That would be a reference to the New Zealand Warriors, long a footnote in this rugby-mad nation’s sporting lore. But in recent weeks, as the All Blacks, the once-mighty national team, have struggled, New Zealanders have found inspiration in the Warriors, a professional outfit.
A rare streak of victories has brought the Warriors within reach of their first title in Australia’s National Rugby League, where they are the only overseas team. Their ascendance stands in stark contrast to the recent fortunes of the All Blacks.

“The All Blacks are performing at a World Cup, and everyone at home is wearing Warriors jerseys,” said Uzair Kalim, a longtime Warriors fan who lives in Auckland. “It’s amazing to see.”

Three people in a crowd watching a sporting match hold up three signs that, together, read “up the Wahs.”

Warrior fans raise “up the Wahs” banners.Credit...Fiona Goodall/Getty Images

Three people in a crowd watching a sporting match hold up three signs that, together, read “up the Wahs.”

As Warrior mania has gripped New Zealand, home games at their 25,000-seat stadium in Auckland have consistently sold out. Even casual fans are emblazoning themselves with the team’s tiki mascot, a team dance has gone viral on TikTok, a local brewery has produced and sold an unauthorized tribute beer, and the “up the Wahs” cheer has become a part of everyday conversations, even proclaimed in Parliament by the speaker.
Although both teams technically play rugby, in many ways, they could not be more different. The Warriors play rugby league, a variant of the game that is effectively a different sport than the rugby union played by the All Blacks. They have a much smaller profile, whereas the All Blacks play on an international stage.

The All Blacks sport a monochrome look, while the Warriors wear an eclectic blue kit striped with red, white and green. And the All Blacks perform their famous, ceremonial haka before each match, while the Warriors typically have fans perform it only before big games.

A line of rugby players in black walk between two rows of players in white applauding them.

The All Blacks after losing to France in a group stage match at the World Cup in Paris this month.Credit...Thomas Samson/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

A line of rugby players in black walk between two rows of players in white applauding them.

In their three-decade existence, the Warriors have not won a single league title. The All Blacks are one of the most successful teams in sports history, with a win record of nearly 80 percent.
But to some fans, the Warriors’ underdog status is the point.
“They’ve endured some harrowing lows, but they have a hold on you,” said Will Evans, the co-host of a fan podcast called “This Warriors Life,” who cried with happiness as the team took to the field at its most recent game. “There’s a sense that you want to be there for the success that seems so tantalizingly close.”
The Warriors have reached the championship game twice before — in 2011 and 2002. They ended last season almost at the bottom of the ladder. The new season brought with it a new coach, Andrew Webster, who came with limited experience in the job. But with his guidance, the skill of key players like captain Tohu Harris, and no small amount of luck, the Warriors now find themselves in the league’s semifinals this weekend.
“It’s one of the great turnarounds,” Mr. Evans said. “It was so amazing that they were there, with the stadium packed out and with that sense of unity. It was euphoric.”
The team has even become a talking point, however small, in national politics ahead of next month’s election. At a recent news conference, Prime Minister Chris Hipkins was quizzed over his preferred chant — he chose “up the Wahs” over the less popular “let’s gone Warriors” — and agreed to appear in a video with his main political competitor to nudge the team on.
Several rugby players hug and cheer each other.

Warrior players celebrating a score during a match on Saturday.Credit...Fiona Goodall/Getty Images

Several rugby players hug and cheer each other.

For many longtime Warriors fans, the sudden support has been disorientating, but gratifying. “Everyone loves an underdog, and the Warriors are a perpetual underdog,” Mr. Kalim said. “I’ve got no problem with it. Welcome to the bandwagon!”
While many fair weather fans and recent converts seem to take for granted that the team will succeed in its quest for its first league title, some veteran supporters have found the cynicism bred by years of losses harder to shake.
“We’re winning, but we don’t trust it,” said “Fonzie,” Mr. Evans’s anonymous co-host. “It always feels like something is going to go wrong and we’ll fall off the wagon.”
Encouraged by the wave of enthusiasm, however, he couldn’t help but be hopeful. “The analyst in me says we don’t have a snowball’s chance in hell, but all your prior assumptions go out the window on the day.”
As Mr. Kalim put it: “Anything’s possible, right?”

Jazz > Bunty anyday

what do you think about that forward pass try?
Jazz was a little slow to close the gap imo.
How long after that try before he was subbed?

Jazz gets obstructed by the Knights stopping in the line, he still makes that tackle with Tohu, Berry and CNK can't stop the try.

Jazz stays on after that try and doesnt get pulled till Walker scores, making a twenty minute playing stint all up for Jazz which sounds like a planned time slot to me.

I don't disagree however my analysis came from spending over an hour rewinding, counting sets, marking meters watching individual plays from fifteen minutes or so of tape.

Our opinions are not in opposition, mine was based off a legitimate afternoon wasted on finding our why Webster et al are all Jazz and no Bunty because a lot of fans here are struggling with that, as such I hope I have given them an answer to their angst.
They have set distance on the NRL stats. The trouble is now that is at the end of the game.
Being a trainspotter I have my phone on through the game watching for everything and see it evolving.
You can ask Citygirl, she has seen me do it!!
I heard Billy Moore (I think) espousing your theory on Fox tonight.
He agrees with you, you can take comfort in that. I think he doesn't know shite ;) .

Young girl at work knows nothing about league but loves Reece Walsh, particularly his hair and eyes 🤣
Everybody loves the kid, I cannot understand it.
Do they not remember how useless he was at our club?
Kalyn Ponga is a much better fullback and the Warriors had him totally shut down last week.
Just saying like.

Where do you rate Jason Costigan on the commentator ratings list
As long as a gnats dick was one of his quotes!!!
Costo was pure class. We got used to quality, specially with the comments guys.
I remember Warren Ryan after a particularly bad refereeing performance when we played a super league game in Perth once just not holding back!!!

Defensively he still has work to do, but its the 22 try assists and 18 linebreaks this season that sticks in peoples minds.
Yes he has speed, and in the right team he can use it. So has Kalyn Ponga...mate.

Back