Team List Rd 14: Panthers Vs Warriors - Locke Back!

Reaction score
KingBubz

KingBubz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
slide.jpg

Kevin Locke has been named at fullback while one Rapira comes in for another for the Vodafone Warriors’ 14th-round NRL match against Penrith at Centrebet Stadium next Monday night (9.00 kick-off New Zealand time).
Locke scored a try and kicked three goals from three attempts in his first full game in more than two months when he turned out for the Auckland Vulcans in their 18-32 New South Wales Cup loss to Newcastle last Saturday.
He comes in for Glen Fisiiahi, who was off the field for more than 20 minutes with a knee injury midway through the Vodafone Warriors’ 12-22 defeat by Melbourne on Sunday.
Returning to the side for the first time this season is front rower Steve Rapira, replacing his older brother Sam, who played just five minutes against the Storm before a triceps rupture in his left arm forced him off. He faces surgery and three months out of action.
The injury again denies the Rapira brothers the chance to play in an NRL match together for the first time, Sam being side-lined with a hand injury when Steve made four first-grade appearances last year.
“It’s encouraging to know Kevin came through the full 80 minutes for the Vulcans last weekend,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Brian McClennan.
“He’d had next to no football for more than two months so it was important that he was able to play a full game.
“Once again it’s a tough time for Sam. He was just getting back into his work after time out with an ankle injury and now he’s out for a long time. It’s so disappointing for but Steve has been working his way back, getting minutes in for the Vulcans and he’s ready now to come back into the NRL.”
The tough-tackling younger Rapira (23) missed the start of the season with a serious ankle injury he received in the Vodafone Warriors’ trial against South Sydney in Coffs Harbour in February. He had to wait until May 12 for his comeback, appearing for the Vulcans against Windsor; since then he has played for them against Canterbury-Bankstown, Cronulla and Newcastle.
Locke played the first four games of the year before leaving the field with a leg injury late in the encounter with Gold Coast on March 24. He returned against Melbourne on Anzac Day but lasted just six minutes before being forced off with a sternum injury.
While Locke and Rapira are starting all over again, 11 players will be maintaining their sequence on Monday night of appearing in every match so far this season. Playing their 13th straight games of the season will be Bill Tupou, Ben Henry, Manu Vatuvei, James Maloney, Russell Packer, Ben Matulino, Elijah Taylor, Simon Mannering, Feleti Mateo, Lewis Brown and Sione Lousi. Matulino, Mateo and Mannering were also the only players to appear in each of the club’s 28 games in 2011.
Matulino (23) will play his 99th NRL match next Monday night, leaving him in line for his century of appearances when the Vodafone Warriors play Cronulla on Saturday, June 16.
Front row partner Russell Packer, a foundation Vodafone Junior Warrior with Matulino in 2008, plays his 90th match next week while Vatuvei edges towards his 150th when he brings up game No 145. With his try on Sunday, he now has 95 career tries.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v PENRITH
Centrebet Stadium, Penrith
5.30pm, Monday, June 11

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 KEVIN LOCKE
2 BILL TUPOU
3 BEN HENRY
4 KONRAD HURRELL
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 JAMES MALONEY
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 RUSSELL PACKER
9 ALEHANA MARA
10 BEN MATULINO
11 ELIJAH TAYLOR
12 SIMON MANNERING (c)
13 FELETI MATEO
Interchange:
14 LEWIS BROWN
15 STEVE RAPIRA
16 SIONE LOUSI
17 JACOB LILLYMAN
18 GLEN FISIIAHI
COACH: BRIAN McCLENNAN

warriors.co.nz

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Warriors 5th Grader
Reaction score
Surely Godinet deserves a spot in the 17 after injuries to the backline during the game has shown our deficiencies time and time again

Reaction score
ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Surely Godinet deserves a spot in the 17 after injuries to the backline during the game has shown our deficiencies time and time again
Yeah I'm happy Steve is getting a run to be honest but I would love Godinet to be in the 17 somewhere. Who would you have taken out? I would look hard at taking Lousi out becuase I want Steve to have a chance and think if Brown is played as just a back rower then he offers plenty of value.

Aside from that, I'm happy with the side named.

Reaction score
Numbnutsnz

Numbnutsnz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Solid team. Happy to have Steve in there. Hopefully he takes on the enforcer role of the bench.

Reaction score
Est95

Est95

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think we lose our way when Brown goes to hooker, his passing game out of dummy half is to slow. I would prefer him to play second row bench, drop Lousi and have Mara/Godinet hooker combo. Godinet could cover some backline injuries aswell.

How will Steve go at prop? I thought he was more second row

Reaction score
BA-AD Luck

BA-AD Luck

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Agree with previous posts. Our team went missing while brown was at hooker last weekend, some godinet spark linking with Mara would be primo. I'd drop Lousi for Godinet but I can't complain too heavily with this team.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Bluey made it very clear early this season that he doesn't consider Godinet an option at hooker. Lewis Brwon is his preferred back up hooker to Nathan Friend, followed by Mara, while Godinet is only halves cover.

I think Bluey needs to stop pidgeon-holing players. Brown even admitted himself last year that he is not an NRL quality hooker, but Bluey thinks different.

My choice would be to leave the team as uninterrupted as possible, so Locke would come in for Fish and Godinet would come onto the bench as a swap for Rapira, and would interchange with Mara as well as being injury cover for the halves and FB. Lousi would be prop number 4 and Brown would be a straight 2nd row interchange with Mateo.

Steve Rapira would miss out, and I would allow Fish to return to Vulcans rather than downtime as 18th man.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
this is bluey's clever name the team and change it tactic. fish will be on the wing and manu to the bench as impact forward.lousi or rapira to drop off bench

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
this is bluey's clever name the team and change it tactic. fish will be on the wing and manu to the bench as impact forward.lousi or rapira to drop off bench
I can't see it. He will think he is being cunning simply by putting Fish at 18th man. Then everyone will wonder if its just in case Locke doesn't come through training OK.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't see it. He will think he is being cunning simply by putting Fish at 18th man. Then everyone will wonder if its just in case Locke doesn't come through training OK.
you see, its working already. bluffed you out. just wait and see. bluey is the man. its classic son at the zoo stuff.

Reaction score
Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I would love to see a mara/godinet combo. I think giving godinet 20 "purposeful" mins and getting mara to play a consistent 60min would be great for the team. As others have mentioned, godinet acts as halves/fullback cover.

Reaction score
KingBubz

KingBubz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Great to see Locke back at the back again... Stoked to see Steve named on the bench, hope he has a huge game

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Brown being there for bench hooker is the only problem for mine. It's a real shame that Mara will probably drop out of the team when Friend comes back, even though Brown is horribly out of form.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Also, is Hurrell usually named on Manu's side or is that a new development?

Reaction score
OMG

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
We cant afford to play godinet when maloney and johnson are on the field imo it would be foolish,

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
luck was on radio sport today and said they had some issues on tupou and hurrells side on defence in the storm game. he mentioned they just had their post match video session so maybe its something they identified and discussed and blueys swapping them around to fix that

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score

He's been named on that side since the Broncos game.

Reaction score
Sir Bluey

Sir Bluey

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
panthers will be without Jennings and Lewis if that helps

Reaction score
joose

joose

Waterboy
Reaction score
Like Nobby is gonna solve the Warriors problems......

Not to mention, umm.... whats Steve gonna do?

Top Bottom