Post Match Rd 13: Warriors Upset Manly 18-16!

minute

01 Jan 1970 12:00 PM

Match Stats

Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
Maraea

Maraea

Have to admit I was a bit scared coming into this game because it was the one to justify my love for my team, the Warriors.

Matt Elliott. Today I am (still a little grudgingly) his number one fan. That is how you beat the best defensive team in the comp!! Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful.

Who would dare take it to Manly without a line breaking tackle busting Konrad Hurrell? (Anthony Wot Now?? That’s how!) Canberra didn’t have a Hurrell, and that’s why they lost.

They also didn’t have a Matulino (phenomenal), a Lillyman (ditto!), or a Mateo (superstar!).

I look forward to the rest of the season now, I feel so justified.

Thank you Warriors my TEAM, thank you.

Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

My MOM was Friend, tackled his heart out and never gave up, also saw much more defensive work from Johnson, still a little flawed in his technique but vast improvement. Just loved beating the worst sporting team in Australia, and I go way back to bash fests of Souths vs Manly.
Just hope that injuries dont decide our future as we are looking so good now.

Reactions: Sup42
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
just heard someone on Radio Sport mentioning the win loss ratio at Mt Smart and if the owners would be looking at taking more hoime games away from Mt Smart as we just don't win them.

4 out of 5 this year I think it was. Anyone know what we do statistically at Mt Smart vs other "home" games?

been saying this for ages, why would a team give up its only advantage when its been struggling? I wrote this after the Knights game

"Ive said this before ill say it again, this has to end all debate on playing home games away from home. that's 2 more games we could have won at home that were thrown away. Why give up your advantage when your struggling for form. Once the team is settled and winning more than 50% of away games then and only then would you consider moving home games to alternative venues. Although to be honest I didn't see much advantage given by playing at home in this game, bloody refs, but still I believe that games at home give you an edge even if it is just not wanting to disappoint your mates and your true fans "

Read more: https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/warriors-vs-knights.13123/page-12#ixzz2VnYtp83A

Reactions: OMG

kos

On you Maraea.
Living in a godforsaken AFL ridden place like Melbourne just keep up that love.

Herbie Hind

Anyone know how many minutes Matagi played? He didn't seem to feature much.

Was very impressed with Fish - ran really strongly. Also like the way Peryroux is being brought in to stiffen up the defence in the centres late in the game.

kos

13 minutes for Matagi according to another forum. Theory was Mutts looked so good and the stats bear it out that Mutts played longer.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Some concerns from the game...

Have to say that the refereeing at that game was the worst display I have ever had the misfortune of witnessing live. The refs were trying to penalise us out of the game. Sheer incompetence would be putting it lightly. Borderline corruption is what I really believe.

Our last tackle bombs are bombing! Countless times I was in despair as yet another kick went straight to the oppositions hands with little pressure. I'm resigned to the fact now that we simply don't have a competent kicker in our team who can place the ball where they want at will. Shaun Johnson can when going for the 40/20 but he hasn't learnt the art of getting a ball to bounce back or stop dead. Only seems to be able to get it to roll forward which us why he kicks it into touch rather then risk having it go dead. TL has a margin of error of 5 metres either left or right which is why he kicks so far infield. We either need to recruit a kicker, play Siejka or get in a former rugby union first five like Grant Fox as a mentor.

Few too many ineffective tackles for my liking. They made Hiku look good.

Watching Mannering cramp up with the ball in hand was torture. I only remember watching Hurrell and Laumape combine once for a good run in the first half. He either needs to play lock or Hurrell needs to stand a little deeper so he can receive a cut out ball. Either that or Simon needs to step it up. How the hell did he ever play centre?

Bar the bias referees and the odd bad call from the touchie we are still too ill discipline. Mannering's penalty count is unacceptable for our captain. Another example was when we were on the first or second tackle and Rapira decides to pop an offload that goes straight to a Manly player. Its bad enough that we make so many errors but when it comes from your senior players it feels so much worse.

At the end of the game it was great to get the win. Not very often we get one over on Manly. Also very rare for both DCE and Foran to have off games. Usually one will fire.

Despite my concerns there was also a lot of positives to take out of the game. The last quarter surrender is starting to become a faint memory. Peyroux is becoming a handy bench player. I really like the enthusiasm he injects into the game. TL is really starting to own his role. Glad to see him do so and also glad the vast majority of people have stopped this Siejka over TL nonsense.

Still a way to go but its been a long wait to see some real results after the disaster of last year. Trying to stay calm but I have to admit to being optimistic...

Kendrick

Kendrick

Lillyman and matulino especially would get a start in nearly any other team, why not ours? Does any other team play their two best props off the bench? They make a hell of an impact off the bench but some of that would be handy in the early grind

Reactions: frankspence

warriors4sure

you sit very close to us. we are 3 rows from the pitch on the 40m line, and they were in front a lot. Matai in paticular
i must sit few rows above you...great seats..took 2 of my mates along cause my other mates coldnt go, hardcore manly fans and they copped it from the fans around us...loved it....they deserved it haha[DOUBLEPOST=1370854552][/DOUBLEPOST]
We seem to be getting more and more away fans in the west each week. Not sure if that's significant or the more we loose the more turn coats we see.
Belief in the stands I don't know about that, but I will say the people that sit around me have had enough of the shit and respectable people (old ladies, mothers with small children, my principal from intermediate school called bull shit on something, small girl no older than five just making random noise as loud as she can too) are starting to yell when something pisses them off.
Mt Smart is our fortress we have only lost one at home this year.
quite a few fans from oz came to support the seaeagles...they even had the nerve to start a manly chant...great to see...more the merrier...coming here to support there teams play us should be heavily promoted...creates a great atmosphere

Reactions: mt.wellington
SomehowStillKeepingFaith

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

3 Matulino
2 Friend
1 Mateo

What a game.
I'm happy to accept this season of misery, just to relish in defeating the Manly scum.

HM: Elliot. Perfect use of the interchanges, willing to make the big calls when we need them, instilling genuine attacking options and a very good defensive structure. I like.

That game showed just what our squad is capable of when they all go hard and follow the game plan.

Mannering had some great moments, but continues to be an attacking roadblock and makes uncharacteristic errors. I flipped out over his offload to Manly early in the game, and his 3 penalties.

Fish was solid at the back and injected himself well hen required, threatening the line a number of times. Locke is still our number 1 number 1, without the slightest doubt.

Congratulations Taylor on a solid game. Still not defensively dominant, still not running as hard as I would like, still confusing at times... But he made a couple of great runs, one of which resulted in a fantastic try right when we needed it. Because of this, I will not diss him this week. Well done.

Next season we are going to be BADASS.

Couldn't figure out why but Mannering ran back infield quite often rather than feeding Hurrell and Laumape on his outside. Was the Manly defence too good on that side, does Mannering not have any faith in his outside men on attack or is he just braindead on attack?

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Manly fans reconed one Reff had money on the Warriors and his opposite had money on Manly.

Crazy See Saw penalty bouts

Pretty much determined the game

Well played Warriors Reff you got the other pink prick in the last ten minutes

warriors4sure

Last week I though Elliot's tactic of throwing Ikahihifo (presumably as a prop) and Peyroux on at the same time was weird. And I admit, when the camera panned the bench yesterday and showed Mateo and Matulino both chilling, I stressed the fuck out. But then I looked at the clock and realised Elliot did the double swap to allow Mateo and Matulino to rest, and synchronise their return in the final stages for a veritable bolt thrower of impact.

He was gambling, but from what I have seen of Elliot that is part of his nature - and I like it. A nice change from Cleary and the tidy whitey tacklebot mafia.

The gamble was on our team not collapsing while he prepared his final assault. Seb and Dom needed to come on and run and defend like madmen, which they did. We of course lost momentum, but Elliot was assuming:

-With Mateo and Matulino tiring, we could not close out the game and Manly would run us down.
-If he rested these two and re-injected them at the same time, their impact would win us the game.
-We could hold things together long enough to allow this tactic. Gamble worked - win to Elliot.

The bench swap I really admired though, was pulling Hurrell for Peyroux after his try. Peyroux showed his true value in rock solid defense against Matai and we managed to defuse the raids Manly were throwing down that flank. I can't view parallel universes unfortunately, but I believe if Hurrell remained, we were a massive chance of conceding on that side. He was tired and looking sketchy as.
I also admire the fact Elliot stashed an interchange for this possibility.

We simply cannot underestimate this win in terms of importance to our club. Beating a hoodoo team is a HUGE lift, and I am jealous of all fans who were in attendance.
really impressed with ME use of the bench..seems like hes getting his head arond the players on field performances ..ive been the first to put the boot into Taylor and hes stepped up bigtime...still got issues with his defence and hes put his one hand carries away for the time being...interesting when lowrie is back into the frame

Miket12

Miket12

Couldn't figure out why but Mannering ran back infield quite often rather than feeding Hurrell and Laumape on his outside. Was the Manly defence too good on that side, does Mannering not have any faith in his outside men on attack or is he just braindead on attack?
One of Matai's defensive traits is to rush out of the line to spot tackle the second receiver. By running back in field, Mannering was possibly trying to avoid this.

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

Tough combination coming at him Budd, he either needs someone that is a good talker or someone everyone is scared to run at..Mannering doesn't do him any justice with his ball watching, it holds Kon up. Even in the 2nd Manly try Manners held up the line which made Kon come in for that tackle, Hurrell isn't the best defensive reader but Simon put him in a position where he had to move in because the runner did look very likely, if Simon was as good as some claim he would have been pushing up and sideways and taking the line with him, that's what the really good Captains do and they scream out at the refs the 50-50 calls as they happen, making the ref do his job properly, any sort of indecision that can be created in a referee's mind that can make them pause before they make a decision is vital to ensure you get your share of 50-50 calls. We do have a distinct lack of good talkers in the team, which is why Locke is crucial to the defensive line.
Imagine having half a team of them, the current Ozzie mob are all silent achievers, the actions speaks louder than words kind, which really is the last thing the Nesians need..
The more talkers in the team the easier it gets for the defensive line and offensive structure.

I had a crack up of a facebook conversation with my uncle today during the game yesterday, his claim to fame was being binned and then sent off in a televised Tusk cup quarter final, head butting lol Go Mangakino..
His first comment "they r playing like dumb coconuts" hehehehehe, the old schools who played good footy for a long time know what we are talking about lol..then I mention Manners ball watching and Uncle types "oh he's a coconut in disguise":D muahahahahaha..
No offence intended here, we both have many many very close island friends and family these days, some of my oldest and dearest friends of Samoan and Tongan ancestry will say the same thing "bloody coconuts and dam Hori's...:p

There were a lot of offloads against us today at one stage, our scramble defence got us home.

Yeah Jamie Lyon is very good at getting in the refs' heads, and he slowed play down at vital times by questioning the ref and getting away with it. We need a captain like Lyon.

Reactions: OMG and mrblonde
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Some concerns from the game...

Have to say that the refereeing at that game was the worst display I have ever had the misfortune of witnessing live. The refs were trying to penalise us out of the game. Sheer incompetence would be putting it lightly. Borderline corruption is what I really believe.

Our last tackle bombs are bombing! Countless times I was in despair as yet another kick went straight to the oppositions hands with little pressure. I'm resigned to the fact now that we simply don't have a competent kicker in our team who can place the ball where they want at will. Shaun Johnson can when going for the 40/20 but he hasn't learnt the art of getting a ball to bounce back or stop dead. Only seems to be able to get it to roll forward which us why he kicks it into touch rather then risk having it go dead. TL has a margin of error of 5 metres either left or right which is why he kicks so far infield. We either need to recruit a kicker, play Siejka or get in a former rugby union first five like Grant Fox as a mentor.

Few too many ineffective tackles for my liking. They made Hiku look good.

Watching Mannering cramp up with the ball in hand was torture. I only remember watching Hurrell and Laumape combine once for a good run in the first half. He either needs to play lock or Hurrell needs to stand a little deeper so he can receive a cut out ball. Either that or Simon needs to step it up. How the hell did he ever play centre?

Bar the bias referees and the odd bad call from the touchie we are still too ill discipline. Mannering's penalty count is unacceptable for our captain. Another example was when we were on the first or second tackle and Rapira decides to pop an offload that goes straight to a Manly player. Its bad enough that we make so many errors but when it comes from your senior players it feels so much worse.

At the end of the game it was great to get the win. Not very often we get one over on Manly. Also very rare for both DCE and Foran to have off games. Usually one will fire.

Despite my concerns there was also a lot of positives to take out of the game. The last quarter surrender is starting to become a faint memory. Peyroux is becoming a handy bench player. I really like the enthusiasm he injects into the game. TL is really starting to own his role. Glad to see him do so and also glad the vast majority of people have stopped this Siejka over TL nonsense.

Still a way to go but its been a long wait to see some real results after the disaster of last year. Trying to stay calm but I have to admit to being optimistic...

Well said. As far as the refs go Manly were moaning as well about the penalties. I really think we need to keep video evidence and keep hammering Daniel Anderson. There is still a bias against bottom 8 teams in general. There seems to be an attitude of' too sad too bad' as far as NRL bosses regard these concerns. It is a major worry for a number of teams and the Warriors are the worst affected. There are skilled and competent people such as retired Barristers etc that can put together a good case to show that there is an ongoing prejudice against the Warriors by the officiating. It will also help out other clubs in the same boat and achieve an even playing field and a better competition.

As far as the game went like MtW I am a little concerned about some of the silly mistakes, but that is just keeping cool and they are steadily improving in that area. Also good idea to get someone like Fox in but it probably wouldn't have an immediate effect. Another option is to pass a bit wider and have centres/Mateo/Locke chip or grubber into corners and contest the hell out of it.

Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

The really important part that Johnson played in this game has not been highlighted, he slotted every goal which ended up winning us the game.
When you look back over the last three seasons at the amount of times we have lost by two or three points it is staggering to believe that they have not invested in a first rate kicker. Even Maloney who was a good kicker is now an excellent kicker with the Roosters.

warriors4sure

My MOM was Friend, tackled his heart out and never gave up, also saw much more defensive work from Johnson, still a little flawed in his technique but vast improvement. Just loved beating the worst sporting team in Australia, and I go way back to bash fests of Souths vs Manly.
Really hope they can fit him for one more year..if it is true that the Pommy fullback is the reason why theyve had to not take friends option then im pissed off...we have 2 quality fullbacks with great upside in terms of age...if anything we should be looking for another centre/winger..and another prop would do me...recruitment department needs an overhaul..dont want to be stuck with another andy platt

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

Compare Rene Maitua vs Nathan Friend - both told they are not needed next year, one sulks and refuses to play, the other mans up and plays his heart out for the team.

Haydos

I to feel the refereeing against the warriors is rigged...annoying little dick Brett suttor can go get...
Referees know theres less pressure when penalising the warriors, less scrutiny from oz media and officials so they penalise freely

ME did point this out after the dogs game. He needs to keep chipping away and get others to back him up. Mannering is HOPELESS with the refs

Reactions: 1 person
Bluecat again

Bluecat again

Contributor
Friend will be a big loss but it wouldn't be the first time a good hooker was told he wasn't wanted. The last one the powers that be at the Warriors decided was no good and was let go was snapped up by Wayne Bennett and went on to get a win in a grand final with the dragons. Hope it goes as well for Friend

Reactions: mt.wellington