Post Match Rd 13: Warriors Upset Manly 18-16!

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
but a 'hey ref, they aren't back the 10 either, can you keep an eye on them too?' doesnt hurt

For sure, you have to moan about absolutely everything or your not doing your job as a Captain, Refs are far far from perfect and need assistance, that is what a Good Captain does bleets and whines and points out the obvious, if anyone else does it, it's 10m and a penalty..Simon is a woefully inadequate talker and is often moved off without an explanation when he should be demanding one and furthering his own claims of inconsistency. A good Captain is very smart and can push the boundaries verbally..Simon has yet to show these qualities, he is mostly treated with contempt by the referees.

Reactions: 1 person
For sure, you have to moan about absolutely everything or your not doing your job as a Captain, Refs are far far from perfect and need assistance, that is what a Good Captain does bleets and whines and points out the obvious, if anyone else does it, it's 10m and a penalty..Simon is a woefully inadequate talker and is often moved off without an explanation when he should be demanding one and furthering his own claims of inconsistency. A good Captain is very smart and can push the boundaries verbally..Simon has yet to show these qualities, he is mostly treated with contempt by the referees.

I reckon Ennis has to be the best at it

did you see Broncos vs Dogs when Ennis not only questioned a blatantly obvious call that needed no clarification whatsoever slowing the game and buying his big pack time to compose and set themselves but when Peter Wallace headed towards Ennis and the ref, Ennis very loudly said " go away please go away " and flicked his finger at him dismissively stalling Wallace to which the ref chimed in and waves Wallace away, Wallace stood their for a few seconds in pretend defiance before turning and walking away fuming ... pure gold the man is the master of the jedi mind trick

did you see Broncos vs Dogs when Ennis not only questioned a blatantly obvious call that needed no clarification whatsoever slowing the game and buying his big pack time to compose and set themselves but when Peter Wallace headed towards Ennis and the ref, Ennis very loudly said " go away please go away " and flicked his finger at him dismissively stalling Wallace to which the ref chimed in and waves Wallace away, Wallace to stood their for a few seconds in pretend defiance before turning and walking away fuming ... pure gold the man is the master of the jedi mind trick

Footy smarts can be learned but generally it's genetic material that determines how well you use it and there have been a lot of smart footballers that were limited physically, brain always beats brawn..

Reactions: Jay M
I hate Manly so damn much. So glad we won, even better that we had a close win. Just to let them know that they were close, but not close enough. I was furious at the onslaught of rubbish penalties they were getting in the first 20 mins. We aren't that undisciplined, there is no need to have penalty after penalty like that in any game. Let the boys play ffs.

Highlight of the game was Lyon missing that third conversion. How the heck did he manage that?! The angle seemed okay, it was the distance that he failed.

Reactions: Pharris
Highlight of the game was Lyon missing that third conversion. How the heck did he manage that?! The angle seemed okay, it was the distance that he failed.
probably saw this in the corner of his eye

ai4.ytimg.com_vi_OOUoo99qHeU_hqdefault.jpg

he sits on that side of the field as well

I gave it to Matulino. He and Bull turned the game around. I was seriously concerned about the lack of go forward from Rapira and Matagi and I still am if they are lining up against the Roosters. Hopefully the Package is available and back to his aggressive best.

Mannering's injury really worries me. I think he does a great job for us and must be one of the first names on the teamsheet every week (not just as Captain :) ) Lot's of criticism for him here over the past week or so but considering he played injured and we won, I am supporting him 100% and I hope he is right to play against the Rooters. Lowrie does give us good cover is he is fit but the stocks are a bit bare after him!

Having Locke back will strengthen us also, fish to the wing.

Agree having Locke back in and Fish to the wing is good. Fish had a good game on Sunday but probably better on the wing. Think its going to be a more expansive style this Sunday much like the game against the Broncos. For the time that Matagi was actually on the field he made good metres, don't know about Rapira, but yeah for the time he was on thought Matagi was solid. It was good that he wasn't on for long too actually being only his second time out. Hope he gets more game time this Sunday.

This call may be premature - but how would anyone else feel about Mateo stepping up to being either Captain or Co-Captain? He's re-signed for another three years, and his performances in the last few weeks have been exceptional. I think it could help take the pressure off Mannering's game - which seems a bit stifled at the moment. There's a general feel (to me anyway) that when Mateo plays well and is confident - so are the warriors. He's been putting in bigger minutes in the last three weeks (60-80 mins depending on the week), and I feel the referees have more respect for Mateo than Mannering. He's also vocal and has a lot of mana in the side. He has captaincy experience from leading the Tongan team (yes I know it's not an NRL team).

If you ask me, in the last three weeks - the on-field leaders have been Leuluai, Mateo and Friend as opposed to Mannering. And our results have been the best we've seen this season... Coincidence?

(I'd also be happy with Leuluai and Mateo being Co-captains, but can't see ME making that decision in the next 12 mths)
Meateo would be a standout as capt...by all accounts hes the off field leader so the progression would be hard...has the respect of the players and personality wise he would be a good fit...signing a 3 year contract..starting a family..points to a maturity which wasnt there in the past...ive never had issues with mannering as a player bt as capt i think he was talked into it and being the person he is he has just gone along with it...spot on about the on field leaders..theyre starting to fill the vaccum left when Luck retired

Buck777

Meateo would be a standout as capt...by all accounts hes the off field leader so the progression would be hard...has the respect of the players and personality wise he would be a good fit...signing a 3 year contract..starting a family..points to a maturity which wasnt there in the past...ive never had issues with mannering as a player bt as capt i think he was talked into it and being the person he is he has just gone along with it...spot on about the on field leaders..theyre starting to fill the vaccum left when Luck retired

You could be right about Mateo. I've been a bit dark on him since his STFU text last year, but last year was a dark time period. Talking about last year the assistant vulcans coach told me that Mateo had to go into town and rescue Inu who was hitting the turps and getting offside with bouncers. I remember thinking Mateo showed a team concern to make sure Inu got home safe. That shows captain qualities to me. My only check is that he's been inconsistent in the past. Can't have a captain not showing up.

You could be right about Mateo. I've been a bit dark on him since his STFU text last year, but last year was a dark time period. Talking about last year the assistant vulcans coach told me that Mateo had to go into town and rescue Inu who was hitting the turps and getting offside with bouncers. I remember thinking Mateo showed a team concern to make sure Inu got home safe. That shows captain qualities to me. My only check is that he's been inconsistent in the past. Can't have a captain not showing up.

Isn't Inu a Mormon, didn't think they got on the booze?

Footy smarts can be learned but generally it's genetic material that determines how well you use it and there have been a lot of smart footballers that were limited physically, brain always beats brawn..

So when Manu's brain tells him that the best way to score is smashing thru all defenders in his path is that a victory for brain or brawn ?
How does brain beat brain ?

Reactions: Maraea
So when Manu's brain tells him that the best way to score is smashing thru all defenders in his path is that a victory for brain or brawn ?
How does brain beat brain ?

You have to get the ball there in the first place, it doesn't appear in his hands by magic..
It's a bit like a street fight against a big dummy , the smart little fulla will run away and make the big boy chase him, then grab the best weapon he can find and beat the shit out of the tired big bastard-

Reactions: charlie bobmarley
You have to get the ball there in the first place, it doesn't appear in his hands by magic..
It's a bit like a street fight against a big dummy , the smart little fulla will run away and make the big boy chase him, then grab the best weapon he can find and beat the shit out of the tired big bastard-
bit of smokescreen answer, but I saw almost that exact scenario at my local, the Treetops Tavern last year. Big black fullah chased little WASP twice round carpark then WASP turned into dancing Duran, 1 2 lights out. Love this place

Buck777

Isn't Inu a Mormon, didn't think they got on the booze?
Yeah he is/was. My 'mole' reckons that his very strict Mormon family/friends in Sydney were major concerned about his slipping moral (!) behaviour and were putting massive pressure on him to return to the fold...and Sydney.