General Rd 10 - Warriors Vs Roosters Preview!

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
slide.jpg

NZ Warriors vs Roosters
Mt Smart Stadium
Saturday 12th May, 7:30pm

Well, last week certainly exceeded my expectations. Broken jaws and a new signing aside, that first half against the Broncos was far and away the best half of football we’ve played all year. It began up front with a rampaging Big Ben absolutely smashing Hannant and his mate Thaiday, and was finished by a few deft touches from Johnson. I could go on all day, so to save time, let’s turn our attention towards this week against the Roosters.

Payback may be what the media talk up for this match, though from my perspective the Warriors need to solidify what they’ve achieved over the past few weeks. A good win against the Bunnies, a competitive loss at Melbourne followed by our best win of the season over the high flying Broncos - a win this weekend will stamp our intent as a serious Premiership force.

Recent form: Not unlike the Warriors, the Roosters have had an indifferent start to the season. They’ve struggled to string wins together and come into this clash sitting just outside the 8. They’ll be buoyed by their solid win over a depleted Knights outfit on Sunday, though confidence isn’t at an all-time high in Sydney city. Concerning for Roosters fans will be their form on the road, going down 50-12 against the Cowboys in Darwin and 44-4 in Melbourne.

The Warriors, on the other hand, look to be playing the sort of football we all expect; Joey Johns even thinks we’re the most dangerous team in the competition. (Read into that what you will.) I thought our defence on the fringes looked better against the Broncos, Henry again impressive in shutting down his opposite number.

Rooster forum stalking reveals they’re not too confident about this trip, though the general consensus seems to be that if there’s any weakness to be exploited, it lies in the outside backs of this Warriors line-up – Vatuvei and Hurrell in particular.

Players to watch: We highlighted last week the importance of matching the Broncos forwards as the key to success. The Roosters gave the Warriors pack a touch up in Sydney earlier this year, and I expect our forwards to come out firing. Matulino was my man of the match last weekend, and I thought Lillyman was outstanding on his return. Look to our pack to continue their dominance.

From a fan perspective, however, I’m looking forward to seeing Alehana Mara get another chance in first grade. I enjoyed watching him in the Vulcans, and I think many of us would agree he hasn’t fulfilled his potential. The next 6 weeks are a chance to show us if he has a future in first grade, or whether he’ll been Vulcanised for good.

Johnson has been steady this season, and I thought he controlled the game well last week. I think he’s been building on his game nicely. If our forwards get on top, look for some SJ brilliance that we all secretly (or not so secretly) crave.

Despite Ricky Stuart’s claims that his NSW Origin side is all but finalised, there will still be a couple of Roosters players looking to impress. Mitchell Pearce appears to be the incumbent halfback, though Anthony ‘the Count’ Minichiello will be pushing for the fullback berth after re-signing for another season.

2-Preview_LineupTxt.jpg
3-Preview_TeamWAR.jpg
4-Preview_TeamRoo.jpg
5-Preview_Bottom.jpg

My prediction: The Warriors at home and coming off a few strong performances should be too strong for the Roosters here. A cold Saturday night in Auckland in front of another hostile crowd, I get the impression this is a trip the Bondi boys would rather not make. I expect us to come out firing, to get the 2 points and to consolidate our recent momentum. Anything less and we’re back to being pretenders. Warriors by plenty: 32 – 14.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
A good win against the Bunnies, a competitive loss at Melbourne followed by our best win of the season over the high flying Broncos - a win this weekend will stamp our intent as a serious Premiership force possibility to make the top 8 .

Reaction score

Danpatmac

I just wanna win 2 weeks in a row.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
Haha thankyou for those changes legoman...premiership force may have been a bit OTT I admit.

Anyway guys, these preview threads are basically meant to be the base of pre-match discussion through until gameday. Feel free to agree, disagree, talk about where you think we'll go well, who their danger men are etc etc.

Reaction score
RobRoyMcCoy

RobRoyMcCoy

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Excellent write up! I think our forward can get over the very strong Roosters pack if we keep our errors low and get an advantage in the metres game. The key to my way of thinking is the distribution from Mara. Friend does a great job with this critical role and like other forumites have mentioned Mara has to be top notch to keep our forwards on top.

Jake Friend will do a fine job for the Roosters unless he is under great pressure so I will be watching this aspect of the game with great interest.

Reaction score
Moz

Moz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Their pack manhandled us last time, home crowd on a cold night or not they still have to be buoyed by that, the opening exchanges will be critical that we must not only match but exceed their physicality to the point that any psychological advantage their pack THINKS they have disappears in that first 15 min.

looking forward to seeing Mara play, also Tinirau Arona play again got a couple of Roosters fans I work with who bang on about him all the time, want to see if he is all that

Reaction score
Warrioz

Warrioz

Waterboy
Reaction score
Really keen to see how Mara goes.
Can't see the performance differing too highly to that of last weeks win. Just hope if the Chooks get it together in the air we don't just hit SJ bombs all night.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
Moz Arona is a beast! Reminds me of a fired up Pritchard.

This is gonna be quite a fiery encounter. All the kiwi boys at roosters are really looking forward to coming home, and doing well infront of their family and friends. Id love to see Ben give JWH a nice shoulder though :)

Whilst head says we will win by 13+, i have a strange feeling it will come down to the last 5 minutes.

Reaction score
Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I have no doubt that we'll come out fired up, we've done that in every match so far... shame is, we're all too often guilty of losing our heads while playing 'pumped up' footy and that leads to the early mistakes, early points, early turnovers, hung heads, stupid offloads and soft penalties. Once we added that wee matter of respect for possession to the venom and smashing, we started playing like we know we can. Lose that respect for possession for just 10 minutes and we open floodgates somehow.

Reaction score
Moz

Moz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I have no doubt that we'll come out fired up, we've done that in every match so far... shame is, we're all too often guilty of losing our heads while playing 'pumped up' footy and that leads to the early mistakes, early points, early turnovers, hung heads, stupid offloads and soft penalties. Once we added that wee matter of respect for possession to the venom and smashing, we started playing like we know we can. Lose that respect for possession for just 10 minutes and we open floodgates somehow.
I agree we shoiuldnt have to be 'fired up' or play 'pumped up' that state of mind fizzles out anyway, but our pack should just be aggressive especially the front row aggressive and physical win the middle and dominate the other pack should be there mantra, compete for every metre. With every team seemingly clamouring over themselves to play like the storm and obsessing with structures we can somtimes forget aggression and intimidation are still A PART of this game.

but yeah I do agree Raurimu aggression without control and well your just your running round like headless chickens giving away penalties and errors its pointless

Reaction score
scottyb

scottyb

Warriors tragic
Contributor
Reaction score
The Roosters ripped our forward pack a new one last time we met so I'm sure the boys will be looking for some payback. I'm very confident we are gonna come away with the points on Saturday.

Reaction score
22 BEAST

22 BEAST

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Im amped for this game, we are starting to hit our straps and i believe tonight could turn into a hiding. (hopefully)

The Beast will break his drought tonight and score a hattrick.

My pick is Warriors 34 Roosters 12

Reaction score
Xt1ncT

Xt1ncT

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Gonna be a hard game that's for sure. Our forwards have to front up real early and start to dominate the ruck and hopefully the territory arm wrestle.

Close one - Warriors 24-18

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
We need to come out shitting rocks and smash the fuck out of them for the firdt 20 minutes - game over.

They rolled us in Sydney, so the guys need to be fired up running onto the field and Ben, Fudge etc need to steamroller the likes of Warea-Hargeves.

Lets hope for 20,000 screaming locals and pissing down, horizontal, freezing rain.

I'll get the beers in.......

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
We need to come out shitting rocks and smash the fuck out of them for the firdt 20 minutes - game over.

They rolled us in Sydney, so the guys need to be fired up running onto the field and Ben, Fudge etc need to steamroller the likes of Warea-Hargeves.

Lets hope for 20,000 screaming locals and pissing down, horizontal, freezing rain.

I'll get the beers in.......
lol can it not piss down though? We're going to the game.. I dunno i feel we'd have an easier time of it if it were dry conditions. I can see us putting some points on them - all other things going well..

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The Beast will break his drought tonight and score a hattrick.
They're gonna have to give him the ball first.. We can't even hope for a try or two from cross-field kicks, now that he's opting exclusively for the bat-back..

I do hope he has another strong game though and that he does get some ball, in order to further quieten the Manu hate.

Though, if a dream i had the other night (more of a nightmare) is anything to go by, he's gonna drop the ball 15-20 times - either cold or he'll lose it in the tackle. Why didn't Bluey take him off after the 10th drop!? nice one brain..

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I was just jks.. me and TD go out in real life

and lol - did you like my post above it because it said my account would be deleted if we lost? harsh..

(soz for spamming)

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
lol can it not piss down though? We're going to the game.. I dunno i feel we'd have an easier time of it if it were dry conditions. I can see us putting some points on them - all other things going well..
Its nice and warm in front of my 90" telly.

Top Bottom