Internationals RATE THE PLAYERS

• Thread starter commonsense_old
  • Start date

commonsense_old

NZ

1. Brent Webb - 5 - didnt inject himself in the attack as much as he shouldve. i thought once thomas left the field webby wouldve helped benji with the playmaking.

2. Jake Webster - 6 - defensively did well. rushed out into the wings at the right time. this guys is going to be a really good player. very silent in attack though. not entirely his fault, he didnt see much of the ball.

3. Clinton Toopi - 6 - defensive powerhouse. even shook up orge omerly. but too many stupid errors.

4. Paul Whatuira - 6.5 - shut down gasnier for most of the game. did well defensively but like most of the kiwis didnt step up in attack.

5. Tame Tupou - 7 - awesome debut!! rocked the aussies with his hard defense and runs. helped out the forwards as much as he could. did well when the aussies pressured him with kicks in his direction.

6. Nigel Vagana - 5 - dissappointing game for the veteran. played with passion though but didnt do what he does best which is support in attack.

7. Benji Marshall - 6 - too much pressure put on the kid. unfair in my opinion. he looked pretty good in attack, but like i said there was too much reliance on him. defense he was a liability to say the least. but he did what he could with the time and the situation he was put in.

8. Jason Cayless - 6 - ran tirelessly up at the aussies but made little impact. no venom in his runs that we were so used to seeing in past seasons.

9. David Faiumu - 6 - played solidly but needed to step his game up. didnt run out of dummyhalf enough but then again the play the ball was too slow for the kiwis.

10. Nathan Cayless - 5 - i really do like nathan cayless but his form didnt deserve him a kiwi jumper. today it showed. his runs offered very little but he didnt did work his butt off.

11. David Kidwell - 6 - started well lifting morale in the team with his hard aggression. his 2nd stint in the 2nd half was very quiet and un-kidwell like.

12. Louis Anderson - 7 - didnt do much wrong. he did what he does week in week out for the warriors which is defend defend defend. nothing flash.

13. Sonny Bill Williams - 7.5 - best player for the kiwis. never stopped trying. his defence was a perfect 10 i would say. he had sting in his hits and just tackles all over the park. but i wish he wouldve offloaded more, there were plenty of good support players around him ie benji, nigel, thomas, webby. perhaps the aussies aimed up on sbw well and didnt allow him to do so.

14. Thomas Leuleui - 5 - kicking game was dreadful. benji looked like the best kicker in the world next to thomas. did pull of some strong hits in defence and ran the ball well but a kicking game is essential for a halfback and today thomas "didnt bring it".

15. Roy Asotasi - 7 - had a few errors but like sbw never stopped working. ran hard everytime and defended his ass off.

16. David Faalogo - 5.5 - for someone who was supposed to be solomona's replacement he offered little in attack. defensively he pulled off some nice hits but didnt do much with the ball.

17. Frank Pritchard - 6 - now this rating is not fair at all. when he was on the park he did very well (including knocking hunt's block off) but had little time to give some real impact.

------

Australia

1. Karmichael Hunt - 5 - must say ran couragiously at the kiwi defense. got smacked everytime though. was obvious the sting of the kiwi hits got to him and was pressured into making stupid plays.

2. Matt King - 5.5 - got owned by tame tupou. couldnt really do anything against his opposite number.

3. Mark Gasnier - 7.5 - aussie selectors must be glad they chose him. proved why he is the best centre in the world. absolutely incredible with the ball.

4. Matt Cooper - 8 - attack and defense was great. selectors showed faith in him to pick him over hodges and he repaid in an great performance.

5. Timana Tahu - 7.5 - despite giving a gift try to the kiwis he was one of the best players on field. i dont understand why he doesnt like playing wing when he is so awesome there.

6. Darren Lockyer - 8.5 - very unlucky to not be man of the match. him and joey fused well together today. looked great at fullback.

7. Andrew Johns - 8 - can hold his head up high after a great rep career. didnt play a joey classic game today but did what a mortal halfback did to lead his team to victory.

8. Willie Mason - 8 - i really hoped someone was going to deck him today but he did play well. damaging runs all night.

9. Danny Buderus - 9 - offical MOM and rightly so. defended well as usual and performed magic out of dummyhalf.

10. Petero Civonceva - 7 - nothing wrong with his performance. ran hard and defended well, nothing more to ask from a frontrower.

11. Luke O'Donnell - 6 - thought didnt really offer much but his workrate was high.

12. Nathan Hindmarsh - 7.5 - another great nathan hindmarsh performance. think he topped the tackles count again.

13. Ben Kennedy - 8 - also finished his rep career in style. thought he outplayed his opposite number sbw. its too bad sbw wont get the chance to even the score in a rep arena again.

14. Jonathan Thurston - 6 - like frank pritchard didnt get enough gametime to stamp his authority on the game.

15. Mark Omerly - 6 - thought the kiwi defence was up to the task against the orge. but continued to test the defense all night.

16. Steve Simpson - 7 - great impact off the bench. worked well running off joey and buderus.

17. Steve Menzies - 6 - also didnt get a chance to show some impact due to limited game time.

------------

overall you cant really blame the loss on any one player. the kiwis lost as a team. the aussie were there and on point. as much as i love the kiwis, the aussies never seemed like having the game lost. the kiwis did challenge them but the aussies had the game in their hands after the first 2 points were scored.

JonB_old

I don't think it is fair to rate our team as the balance was so far out, Vagina is not a 6 Benji isn't a 7.
Not enough workers in the pack IMO, people were being asked to play out of there position in lots of places, Sony and Toopi etc.....

warriors4life_old

I think your ratings a bit harsh on our players and a bit of a gift to Australia, even if it was a 50-12 scoreline we were still definitely in the match for 3 quarters of the game...

Kiwi League_old

Nathan Cayless DID work his butt off...I checked his stats at half-time and they were the best of all the Kiwi's.
Paul Whatuira...the guy got through a power of work. A thousand runs out of dummy half.
To say the pack was the problem...I'm gob-smacked....we had made more metres than the aussies at half-time & had a better completion rate, but did nothing with the ball in the back dept.

sebastian_old

Im SOOOOOOOOO happy toopi leaving. Hotheaded,imbosile who does more bad then good. He's mistake on own line WAVED the momentuem back to the aussies. That man has LIABILITY written all over him.
4-10 Great defense is NOT great when your the one actually causing for there to be defense.

ozbash_old

webby - 6
webster - 4
toopi - 7
whatuira - 5
tupou 7
vunguna - 6
marshall - 3
jaycay - 7
faiumu - 6
natcay - 5
kidwell - 7
louie - 5
SBW - 6

thomas - 7
asotasi - 6
fa'alogo - 6
pritchard - 10 :) nah, i mean 6

commonsense_old

yeh i know i was bit harsh BUT i based the rating on performance on the night. i stand by them.

i must say some of the kiwi players werent allowed to play as well as they couldve. either cos they didnt see enough ball or were shut down by the aussie defence.

Sinbad_old

BEST 3 FOR ME AND YOU CAN THROW A BLANKET OVER THEM THEY ARE SOOO CLOSE TOGETHER:

Whaturia
Anderson
Kidwell

In no particular order.

Kav_old

None of them outplayed their opposite - I suppose that was why we lost badly. I think the Aussies were too much on the grog during the Tri series last year but they were particularly focused for this test. I could see we were beaten during the National Anthems - we looked nervous and worried; they looked confident and determined.
I also agree with Nigel Vagana - too much passion can upset the brain.

Kav

Chelsea-Lee_old

ILl just rate Aus, I didn't pay much attention to the Kiwis.

1. Karmichael Hunt - 7 - Solid game really, nothing spectaculur, but did what he could. Ran couragously at the kiwi defence, helped set up a try, cleaned up kicks well, etc etc. Only a frw minor mistakes - wayward pass to King(although King shoulda bene able to hold onto that, and the dropped ball, but hey that was a few secs before halftime)

2. Matt King - 5 - didn't go much, I agree. Some good tackles, nothing great though.

3. Mark Gasnier - 7, well he did what he usually does, could have injected himself into play more. But we had more success down the other side.

4. Matt Cooper - 7.5 - Just outshone Gasnier. Was lucky more ball came down his side, good support play, but didn't do any brilian individual stuff.

5. Timana Tahu - 8, despite his brain explosion to give the kiwis a try, was fantastic.

6. Darren Lockyer - 9 - On Fire. Great at both 5/8 and fullback, set up many tries and grabbed a couple himself.

7. Andrew Johns - 8.5 -Good solid game, the whole game wasn't that creative so he couldn't really show his best game, but had a good one. Boy can he kick.!

8. Willie Mason - 8 - Gosh he fired up tonight

9. Danny Buderus - 9 - Fantastic. Not much to say but taht.

10. Petero Civonceva - 7 - Had some solid runs, was very passionate out there. Couldve involved himself omre, but I guess its ahrd when you have so many other quality forwards running around too.

11. Luke O'Donnell - 5 - Didn't really notice him tbh

12. Nathan Hindmarsh - 7 - Yea solid game, gotta get tighter pants though ;)! But pretty good solid runs, and nice try.

13. Ben Kennedy - 8 - Nice game to finish his career.

14. Jonathan Thurston - 6 - Didn't get enough game time. Was good when he was there though. Lucky we had him on the sidelinds to slot in there.

15. Mark Omerly - 6.5 - NOthing great, nothing bad though.

16. Steve Simpson - 6 - Didn't notice him much either, made some good impact then went MIA again.

17. Steve Menzies - 6 - Once again not that noticeable, I guess this is all down to game time.

PHANTOM MENACE_old

Chelsea-Lee said:

1. Karmichael Hunt - 7 - Solid game really, nothing spectaculur, but did what he could. Ran couragously at the kiwi defence, helped set up a try, cleaned up kicks well, etc etc. Only a frw minor mistakes - wayward pass to King(although King shoulda bene able to hold onto that, and the dropped ball, but hey that was a few secs before halftime)

2. Matt King - 5 - didn't go much, I agree. Some good tackles, nothing great though.

3. Mark Gasnier - 7, well he did what he usually does, could have injected himself into play more. But we had more success down the other side.

4. Matt Cooper - 7.5 - Just outshone Gasnier. Was lucky more ball came down his side, good support play, but didn't do any brilian individual stuff.

5. Timana Tahu - 8, despite his brain explosion to give the kiwis a try, was fantastic.

6. Darren Lockyer - 9 - On Fire. Great at both 5/8 and fullback, set up many tries and grabbed a couple himself.

7. Andrew Johns - 8.5 -Good solid game, the whole game wasn't that creative so he couldn't really show his best game, but had a good one. Boy can he kick.!

10. Petero Civonceva - 7 - Had some solid runs, was very passionate out there. Couldve involved himself omre, but I guess its ahrd when you have so many other quality forwards running around too.

12. Nathan Hindmarsh - 7 - Yea solid game, gotta get tighter pants though ;)! But pretty good solid runs, and nice try.

14. Jonathan Thurston - 6 - Didn't get enough game time. Was good when he was there though. Lucky we had him on the sidelinds to slot in there.

16. Steve Simpson - 6 - Didn't notice him much either, made some good impact then went MIA again.

17. Steve Menzies - 6 - Once again not that noticeable, I guess this is all down to game time.

Your ratings are laughable

Chelsea-Lee_old

PHANTOM MENACE said:
Chelsea-Lee said:

Your ratings are laughable

As is that post, how about instead of just saying 4 words, you give a constructive insult :roll:

Last time I checked Aussies came out on top, hence the better ratings. I didn't rate them all perfectly. I know the main thing is my Hunt rating which y our "laughing" at, he juts scraped a 7 for me. Its not a fancy 7 though, j ust a solid one, because he really did nothign wrong, did everythign he was suppose to do, a litttle hiccup in his pass to King. Even the footy panel said he did well. Its not just my "bias eyes"

hoanihorsfall_old

CLINTON TOOPI is a moron !! ... I cant stand him ... and he just plays dumb foot ball ... like Sterlo said on TV he's a mistake waiting to happen.

All I want in a centre is someone who marks his man well (i.e. Whatuira) and can feed his winger. Is that too much to ask??? I cannot see what CLEARY or MCCLELLAN see in him. Maybe demote his ass to the Bartercard Cup might kick his ass into gear.

GOOD riddance send his ass on a one way ticket to the UK following those other chumps Meli & Betham.

The Johns / Lockyer combo killed us aswell us Buderus. Cant wait to get to work on Monday to cop all the flak. The good thing is that we wont see Johns again in a test.

just my 5c

Hoani