Player Quentin Pongia

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Quentin Pongia
52 Quentin Pongia - Personal Trainer at Fitness First (Link) and even played some league for Hay Magpies this year at 43yo. Link
Quentin has his own training company and is still fit as hell.
Pongia.png
https://www.meanteamtraining.com/biography/

Heres a recent clip of him talking about his involvement in the personal training industry.

He was also called into the Kiwi camp for the Four Nations...

League: Pedal still hard to metal
5:00 AM Sunday Oct 26, 2014

Clinton Toopi.

Kiwis test time always brings old players out of the woodwork but Clinton Toopi and Quentin Pongia took that to a new level last week.

Often former greats are involved by giving a speech, offering time as a mentor or presenting jerseys to new caps but the two former Warriors rolled back the years by taking a full part in last Wednesday's training session, the most intense of the week.

No one held back. Pongia was almost knocked off his feet by a charging Jason Taumalolo - who wasn't born when Pongia made his international debut - and Toopi managed a solid hit on Kieran Foran that equalled anything seen last night.

"I got called in to do them a favour and I didn't want to let them down," Toopi said. "I wanted to support the boys as best I could. I didn't want to come here and treat it like a joke."

Said Pongia: "I was like a kid again and it's always good to help out. When Mooks (Kearney) asked me to come down, I jumped at it. I'm a pretty serious kind of guy and hope it rubs off on the players around me."

Both were impressed by the camaraderie and spirit with Toopi rating it among the best he has seen.

"The Kiwis have always had a great environment but it has been taken to another level now," says Toopi. "The signs for the future are good - the youth is there, the maturity is there, the energy is there, and they seem to have the 'one percenters' there."

Toopi didn't have the longest Kiwis career - he wasn't selected beyond the age of 27 - but made a big impact and still holds two important records, one of which may never be broken. He has scored more test tries against the Kangaroos than any other New Zealander and is the only player - on either side of the Tasman - to grab two hat-tricks in transtasman tests.

The first came at Albany in 2003 (a 30-16 win) and the second two years later during a shock 38-28 victory at Sydney Football Stadium over an Australian team containing Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer.

"We did the one percenters well," remembers Toopi, who now works as an ambassador on the Titans for Tomorrow programme. "We pushed in for each other, chased kicks, turned Australia around, which they weren't used to. As well as changing our mindset, we changed theirs. We had a theme for that night - 'bully the bully' - because they were known to be bullies."

Pongia, who won an NRL premiership with the Raiders in 1994, was one of most punishing forwards of his era and, despite being well on the wrong side of 40, still enjoys the physical side of the sport.

"You miss that contact, hitting blokes [and] being hit," he said.

"I'm 45 but feel it's an excuse to say you are too old. Who says you are too old to do anything? As long as you are fit and stay healthy you can do anything in life."

Pongia runs a personal training company in Brisbane and is also a defensive coach for local QRL side Easts. He still plays, and has assembled a team for the upcoming Pan Pacific Masters (over 35 years) tournament on the Gold Coast.

"It's a great outlet. It's also therapeutic and calming and I will keep doing it as long as I can," said Pongia, who has roped in former Bulldog James Pickering.

"We have been training for 10 weeks so you can tell we are pretty serious."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11348405

Reactions: Murraytd and Harlz

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Slightly off the target, I saw photos and a news clip about the ex Kiwis get together which coincided with yesterday’s game. It was good to see players from various teams . I saw a picture of Quentin Pongia ( I think) .. he looked very trim. What is he up to now? He reminded me of Stan Walker, having lost a lot of weight.

Reactions: Murraytd and bruce

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
Slightly off the target, I saw photos and a news clip about the ex Kiwis get together which coincided with yesterday’s game. It was good to see players from various teams . I saw a picture of Quentin Pongia ( I think) .. he looked very trim. What is he up to now? He reminded me of Stan Walker, having lost a lot of weight.
Mad butcher has a photo of him on his IG. Doesn’t look recognisable. He looks sick. Last I read he was a welfare officer at manly just last year

Reactions: Murraytd and bruce

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I was really pleased to hear David Kidwell attended too.

Said he just loves watching and being around the Kiwis.

Humbling and a bit sad really.

Fullah belongs to the fraternity of Kiwi Legends...has every right to be there.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Mad butcher has a photo of him on his IG. Doesn’t look recognisable. He looks sick. Last I read he was a welfare officer at manly just last year

My thoughts too. I hope he is okay.

Link below in that very photo. QP has the beard and moustache as well as the baggy trousers.

Reactions: bruce

RiceOwl

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2015
My thoughts too. I hope he is okay.

Link below in that very photo. QP has the beard and moustache as well as the baggy trousers.

Great photo playdaball. I dont know any background here and am only making assumptions but he does look (skinny) sick. Really hope he is ok and passing on my best wishes (if that is the case). Hell of a player.

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
Perth, Australia
Brother Quentin has cancer mate.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
League: Former Kiwis hardman Quentin Pongia opens up on battle against cancer
14 Nov, 2018 2:00pm
2 minutes to read

Quentin Pongia in action for the Warriors in 1998. Photo / Photosport

Former Kiwis hardman Quentin Pongia is in a battle to overcome cancer.

The former New Zealand test front-rower recently underwent bowel surgery and is working towards making a full recovery.

"I'm in hospital at the moment recovering from a fairly lengthy operation to remove a tumour from my bowel," Pongia told Australia's Wide World of Sports.

"I'm on the mend now and pray I can overcome this moving forward."

Originally from the West Coast, the 48-year-old played 35 tests for the Kiwis throughout the 1990s, during a 13-year career in which he carved out a reputation as one of the game's toughest players.

Former Kiwis front-rower Quentin Pongia carts the ball forward against Great Britain during the 1993 tour of the UK. Photo / Photosport.

His uncompromising style of play saw him make an immediate impression when he arrived in the NRL after joining the star-studded Canberra side in 1993.

Pongia went on to win a premiership title with the Raiders the following year before going on to play stints with the Warriors, Roosters and Dragons as well as English glamour club Wigan.

He was last year appointed as Manly's Wellbeing Officer and works closely with the Sea Eagles' young indigenous players.

Pongia is understood to be receiving support from former teammates and the Men of League Foundation, an Australian rugby league charity.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/warriors-league-team/news/article.cfm?c_id=360&objectid=12160005&ref=rss

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
"carved a reputation as one of the game's toughest players"

Aint that the truth.

I can remember the time when Gordon Tallis absolutely murdered Ben Ross he claimed it was because Ross (a young buck at the time) showed him no respect so had to be taught a lesson, Tallis likened it to when he was young buck coming into grade and how you would never disrespect the toughest bulls at the time who were Canberra's Johnny Lomax and Quinten Pongia. Truly hard buggers who always tread that fine line.

Here's hoping he's on the mend.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Shocked to hear of the death of my hero as a young Raiders fan, then for the Kiwis and Warriors. We were the same age but I was still playing club footy in Chch when he was making his mark in the Winfield Cup, they'd just started broadcasting the matches on tv in NZ and every time I watched him play I wished I was him. RIP brother Q.

Last edited:

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings