Post Match 2023 Penrith vs Warriors - Week 1 Finals (Post Match)

vs

-

MATCH COMPLETE

01 Jan 1970

Match Stats

Tries
Conversions
/ Field Goals /
/ 2P Field Goals /
Try Assists
% Possession %
/ Set Completion /
Time in Opposition Half
Metres Gained
Dropouts
Dummy Half Runs
/ Kicks/Kick Metres /
40/20
20/40
Offloads
1 on 1 Steals
Line Breaks
Line Break Assists
Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Rate the Match !

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
the 10m penalty given by the ref to bring Penrith down our end right before that try- go look at the replay.

Nikoure was behind TMM when he kicked it putting everyone on side when he got to Dylan Edwards first... how is that a 10m penalty...??????

Please explain that one to me ref????????
Hey mate.
That’s a yawnion rule. Only the kicker can put the players on side.

Im a bit perplexed about what Webby is trying to do and why our form seems to be going backwards.

My best guess though is:
- we started the year a prop (or two) short, and I thought we would end up bottom 5. Webby came up with a model involving ball playing middles, but also overloading AFB and Tohu, that overcame that weakness to a point.
- as the year has gone on AFB and Tohu are fatiguing from overwork and other teams have figured our model out and are adjusting
- we always knew we were stuffed without SJ firing. The miracle is he’s lasted this long in this good form
- a number of players have had career best years; after a while you expect a little reversion to mean
- I reckon we heavily front loaded the conditioning work to start well; other top teams build into the year

We’ve had an unbelievably good year and exceeded my wildest expectations. I reckon we’ve run our race though.
Interesting points.

- props, agree we are short in this area. Begs the question as to why Bunty Isn't starting with Barnett coming off the bench. Worked well for us during the season and lessens the load on AFB, even if its just 20 minutes from Bunty at the start of games.
- Tohu and AFB fatigue. as above for AFB, Also need to play Volkman at 7 if SJ is injured for this next game so that that Walker can go back to 14 and that helps out Tohu as well as giving us some better options in attack. We don't have a big forward pack and that interchange of passing in the middle makes up for it. Without it we struggle to open up gaps anywhere.
- SJ is such a big part of the way we play. Not just his creativity and threat with the ball, but his organising, experience, kicking game and defensive efforts are going to be hard to replace in the coming seasons. Be interesting to see the bandwagon fans when we are scrapping it out for 6 - 12 place. This would be the first season in a long time he has played that many games in a row?
- players have had career best seasons. As you say, it is to be expected that they can't maintain that high level of performance. I also think that we have been able to mask over some obvious flaws in players through our results and combined effort against weaker teams. We caught the competition on the hop this season. They weren't expecting what we have delivered and now the good teams have done their homework on us more and exposing our weaknesses.
- I'm not sure if we front loaded the start of the year or not. There may be an element of that. I do think that teams are doing their homework on us more. I think we have a number of players with obvious flaws that we have been able to mostly cover for during the season. I also think that it has gotten a bit much for some of them with all of the work we have had to do to get up to the standard of the top teams in the competition. We seem to have improved on one facet of the game, moved on to the next and improved on that, then moved on to the next to improve and the first thing we worked on has slipped. We have only had the one preseason and this year to work on a number of things that need to be ingrained in to our play. For example our defensive structure and resilience was what we worked on first and that seems to have slipped away in the later part of the season. I do wonder how we will go next season and if we can transform in to a consistent club year on year, or whether some players have reached their level this season and there needs to be a longer rebuild period.

It has been a phenomenal year that has bought a sense of pride back in to the club and fanbase. That also brings increased expectation. Will Andrew Webster have a case of second year syndrome or can we build from here further. I think its going to take quite a bit more than RTS coming in for us to do that.

Im a bit perplexed about what Webby is trying to do and why our form seems to be going backwards.

My best guess though is:
- we started the year a prop (or two) short, and I thought we would end up bottom 5. Webby came up with a model involving ball playing middles, but also overloading AFB and Tohu, that overcame that weakness to a point.
- as the year has gone on AFB and Tohu are fatiguing from overwork and other teams have figured our model out and are adjusting
- we always knew we were stuffed without SJ firing. The miracle is he’s lasted this long in this good form
- a number of players have had career best years; after a while you expect a little reversion to mean
- I reckon we heavily front loaded the conditioning work to start well; other top teams build into the year

We’ve had an unbelievably good year and exceeded my wildest expectations. I reckon we’ve run our race though.
This makes sense, now I’m worried.

These guys got us to 4th when we were hoping for 10th - maybe scrape into 8th.

Bottom line is the Penrith team were just too good.
We have been shown up a few times these last weeks with opposition halves getting outside the defender and creating an overlap - DCE did this with great effect against us, and Cleary last week.

Our absence of an additional penetration prop have been mostly countered this season with our aggressive back rowers being used to punch holes a little wider off the ruck, but last week Penrith showed to great effect what 2 x menacing props can offer up with hard running backrowers too.

The only aspects of the weekends game for me which was head scratching was the late introduction of subs considering how much defence we were doing, and on top of that the very late introduction of Curren when we really seemed to be needing added punch in the first half after weathering that quick succession of conceding points.

I did ask the question recently if Newcastle were going to be a problem.
However, this weekend is going to be massive, SJ will play even if it takes needles and sellotape. There will be no drastic changes in the team but the execution of a game plan is going to be huge. The crowd is going to be seismic and a massive motivator for the guys.

Wonder what the TAB are paying for a Warriors v Roosters GF - a 2002 replay!

These guys got us to 4th when we were hoping for 10th - maybe scrape into 8th.

Bottom line is the Penrith team were just too good.
We have been shown up a few times these last weeks with opposition halves getting outside the defender and creating an overlap - DCE did this with great effect against us, and Cleary last week.

Our absence of an additional penetration prop have been mostly countered this season with our aggressive back rowers being used to punch holes a little wider off the ruck, but last week Penrith showed to great effect what 2 x menacing props can offer up with hard running backrowers too.

The only aspects of the weekends game for me which was head scratching was the late introduction of subs considering how much defence we were doing, and on top of that the very late introduction of Curren when we really seemed to be needing added punch in the first half after weathering that quick succession of conceding points.

I did ask the question recently if Newcastle were going to be a problem.
However, this weekend is going to be massive, SJ will play even if it takes needles and sellotape. There will be no drastic changes in the team but the execution of a game plan is going to be huge. The crowd is going to be seismic and a massive motivator for the guys.

Wonder what the TAB are paying for a Warriors v Roosters GF - a 2002 replay!
I'm still trying to understand what the game plan was over the weekend.

Last edited:
Hey mate.
That’s a yawnion rule. Only the kicker can put the players on side.

What is the logic behind this rule?

Makes no sense and only incentivises me to take out the kicker…

What about short kick off? Bombs? Only the kicker can put the team on side within 10m?

Can someone explain the logic????

My best guess though is:

Very astute analysis.

Lots of things aren’t making sense at the moment.

I thought we tried to step up to finals pace and fatigued out playing right into the Panthers strength. We weren’t going to beat them playing faster then them.

We should have tried to control the tempo and play our game at our pace. Taken a few penalties early for slowing the play if need be. Play a power rather than speed game. I feel we would then have had more even possession, less errors and less panic.

If we were aiming for a close, defence orientated 16-14 scoreline we went about it the wrong way.

But shit happens… hopefully good learnings.
Huh? We chose the smallest lightest bench possible and still got fatigued..

Big and small guys get tired tackling all game.
We got beat. We dropped the ball lots. We turned it over lots. We missed tackles lots. We gave them possession lots. We didn't play our best. They also probably didn't play their best either. Our bench and team would have been ok except for that losing the game part. That was key

We got beat. We dropped the ball lots. We turned it over lots. We missed tackles lots. We gave them possession lots. We didn't play our best. They also probably didn't play their best either. Our bench and team would have been ok except for that losing the game part. That was key
Certainly didn’t disgrace themselves. Would like to have seen how we went if we got those couple of calls go our way after scoring points at 20-6. Panthers a cut above though for sure.

Yeah we could argue until the dogs come home. it won’t change the result… his wrist was on the ball when it was touching the line .. doesn’t that constitute a knock on?…
I would tend to agree.

And I'm quick to blame the refs. But cmon playing Penrith in the finals, you HAVE to know the refs wont give you any love. Klein didn't send a bloke off for biting last night...

The NRL wants a free flowing spectacle, so give them one. If we had been bashing Penrith up, throwing the ball around, scoring tries, the ref would have given us plenty. But we put ZERO pressure on them.

Back