General Promotion - Relegation

ozbash_old

Would it work in the NRL?

The bottom team on the ladder at the end of the season is told to leave the compitition and come back when theyve learnt how to play footy.
They go into premier league and must win that and a playoff series before they can come back.

The winning prem league team is promoted into their vacant spot on the nrl ladder after a series of playoffs.

Would this enhance the competition ?
We have teams in the NRL comp who are just there to make up the numbers (the bunnies immediately spring to mind) so wouldnt a system like this act as a cleanser ?

the only down side that i can see is maybe you would have eg, 2 bulldogs teams ( if the bulldogs prem league team won the prem comp).

The beauty of promo/relegation is that it could open the door to clubs/comps outside of the NSWRL, Qld Cup, Bartercard Cup. These winning teams would play off to decide who was to be promoted to the NRL.

andytones_old

yer ive always thought of that, televise more of the lower grades and make it more like the english premier league

playdaball_old

I do not agree with promotion / relegation for the NRL.
1,One only has to look at the ESL for evidence of the pitfulls of promo/relegation. I would imagine that administrators from this league are hoping that Castleford go down and not Wigan - big crowds, plenty of support, perhaps the greatest RL club in history or London - RL needs this club to survive in order to grow in UK's biggest city, they also attract money via Sky
2, The yo yo effect - some teams continually go up and down between divisons
3, A club needs at least a 5 year window to build a team, club spirit and support , sponsorship etc.

IanR_old

Crap idea.

Look at what it does to the Superleague. It works in most soccer leagues because there is heaps of support at all levels, sponsorship, fans etc. Very different with the NRL. Plus, look at the Knights. They would have been relegated last year, and this year they're challenging for the Premiership.

Skinner_old

Jesbass said:
I don't like the idea. Clubs would go bankrupt all too easily.

Yep - I see this as the major obstacle. Once a club is relegated, it's
unlikely to meet the financial criteria to go back up again.

I see it often in local league.

Cheers

MarkW_old

I have to poo poo the idea too. The points mentioned above I tend to agree with plus the fact that when a side gets relegated their best players get picked off by first division clubs leaving the club with little option but to pick inexperienced young players or old has-beens - either way, they are stuck with players that cant get first grade contracts.
A good example of how relegation damages a club is Counties Manukau in the NPC. They are a shadow of what the team used to be when in first division - and it has really hurt the club since when you consider the players that left the club when they were dropped to the 2nd div.

So, no. I think the NRL is a strong enough comp. Clubs like Souths will improve in time. Let's face it, the fact is someone has to come last every year and no club ever resigns itself to the wooden spoon - they fight like hell not to get that trophy.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Penrith 2003, Tigers 2005, Warriors 2001, Knights 2006 are all teams that have come from near the bottom the year before to at least reach the 8. More importantly those teams all were built on a majority of local juniors who the clubs produced themselves. It takes some short term pain to build a team and with the threat of relegation teams will waste more time and moeny looking for a quick fix.

I've always hated the idea of promotion and relegation and the sooner the ESL get rid of it the stronger they'll become.

Warrioraholic_old

Crap clubs wouldnt be able to sign great players because they wouldnt want to be kicked out. Bad idea

one-eyed-warrior_old

Terrible idea, Thw warriors might get out and the aussies might change the rules so we never get back in. It also might be like union with northland. In one year out the next and so on and so on

tmaster_old

Rather than hitting teams that are stuggling how about creating incentives that will encourgae improvement within the club. I'm a big fan of the way the American sports handle player movement and in this case introducing something like a draft.

Ronnie_7_old

That is a crap idea. Clubs would lose out finacially if relegated meaning that there would be even more drought of leading players and what would you do about which competition the team would get relegated to? You couldn't relegate the Warriors to the Batercard. Promotion relegation would just mean that the weaker teams get weaker and the stronger teams get stronger. An NRL team won't come back playing better from a lesser grade.

JonB_old

tmaster said:
Rather than hitting teams that are stuggling how about creating incentives that will encourgae improvement within the club. I'm a big fan of the way the American sports handle player movement and in this case introducing something like a draft.

I hav been thinking about a draft and at the momenty I think there are to many negative aspects of it at the moment.

ozbash_old

"""Clubs would lose out finacially "" ronnie 7

like souths,,, norths,,, wests,, illawarra ???

Ronnie_7_old

I was mainly thinking of the Warriors for that one. Seriously who is going to pay money to watch them play in the Batercard. Come to think of it you wouldn't have to pay and ontop of that they would lose out on sponsors coz I mean if you're a thriving company are you going to be a major sponsor of a team that got dropped from the NRL to play in the local comp. in a country that's Rugby dominated? They would certainly lose out on players then and wouldn't have a chance to make it back.