General Price Leading The Way On Two Counts

Jesbass_old

From the official website of the Vodafone Warriors, www.warriors.co.nz:

Vodafone Warriors captain Steve Price continues to set the pace in two vital areas after six rounds of the 2006 NRL.

The 32-year-old is the leading player in the hit-ups category with 115 - five clear of North Queensland's Shane Tronc - and he has also gained the most metres (1009), clear of Brisbane's Petero Civoniceva (994).

Fullback Brent Webb is second for the top kick return metres with 368 (Parramatta's Wade McKinnon is ahead of him) and halfback Nathan Fien counts 68 kicks in play - an average of more than 11 a match - which is behind only Manly's Matt Orford (74).

Centre Clinton Toopi (31) and Webb (28) both figure highly for most tackle breaks and centre Tony Martin is sixth top points-scorer with 40.

KeepingTheFaith_old

What that doesn't show is that while he makes plenty of metres on kick returns Webb has one of the smallest metres per return average out of all the fullbacks. Probably highlights that he's not linking with his wingers enough.

As for Fien. 68 kicks, yay, how many of them are effective? I could put up 11 midfield bombs a match and come up with the odd good result as well. To be honest his kicking game is really starting to grate on my nerves.

The rest is good though with Toopi and Webb breaking tackles and Price leading the way.

ozbash_old

Centre Clinton Toopi (31) and Webb (2 both figure highly for most tackle breaks

show what you can do with no support.

Skinny_Ravs82

**big thumbs up** from me to those guys. Well done!

I know lots of people don't like Fien at halfback but even with that stat you'd gotta be happy with

BigD_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:

I know lots of people don't like Fien at halfback but even with that stat you'd gotta be happy with

Yep... The reason why People do not appreciate Fein at Halfback is due to the "IM Missing STACY JONES" factor.

Fein does have big shoes to fill at halfback, so in alot of ways he is the most pressured of the the Team to perform.

If he makes an error he cops it more than the others

KeepingTheFaith_old

All it says is that Fien has made 68 kicks. Every single one of them could have been out on the full but it'd still count as 68. If anything it shows that there's not enough kicking options in support around Fien to relieve any pressure on him.

ozbash_old

you can crunch those numbers any way you want, for me priceys stack up, the rest dont.

webbys metres are usually sideways

feins 11 kicks per game are just that, aimless punts,, hit and hope...

toops and webbys tackle breaks are desparation measures,, if nobody is supporting or running off you, you have to have a go ? right.

the most important number we should read before we bruise our shoulder blades from the back slapping is the one next to our name on the comp ladder. the rest is just feel-good factor.

Skinny_Ravs82

ozbash is probably right. And I agree, numbers are numbers; and you can look at it any way you like. Some interpret it as good and some don't. As some realise I like to look at the good side of things it makes it easy to take from. Not that there's anythign wrong with negative stuff either.

I don't really think Webby's going sidewyas as much as he as ususally does. Toopi has gotten better...especially when you take into consideration the way he was going through the season last year.

Nothing wrong with feel good factor. That's what keeps me going! Haha.

Skinny_Ravs82

BigD said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:

Yep... The reason why People do not appreciate Fein at Halfback is due to the "IM Missing STACY JONES" factor.

Fein does have big shoes to fill at halfback, so in alot of ways he is the most pressured of the the Team to perform.

If he makes an error he cops it more than the others

I absolutely agree alot of it has to do with the Stacey Jones thing. Don't get wrong I still and always will admire the guy for what he's done but life moved on and the fans still hung up on that really need to carry on. But I'm not going to try to change them, but perhaps they need to get with the future a bit more (sarcasm alert incase anyone gets offened)

sebastian_old

I hope fiens numbers reduce due to ravs at 6 cause he unlike fien is a decent kicker. It takes presure off fien & he takes better options, good move cleary.

commonsense_old

of course fien's kick number are high esp when our 5/8ths are nonkickers (ie sione and ropo)

guten targ_old

ozbash said:

Certainly shows that times change and that a culture to support ones team mates to make something of nothing is definately still elusive and hardly seen since it dropped in for a fleeting visit back in 02/03.

Pity I'm looking back to yesteryear after seeing big holes today and praying and kicking the seat in front of me in the hope I see a lot more of what you elude too oz

Pity also that the fire and abilities in some are wasted because they're used to fulfilling some other menial task but the one they're suited too on the paddock

Pity also that...ah bugger never mind

Skinny_Ravs82

commonsense said:
of course fien's kick number are high esp when our 5/8ths are nonkickers (ie sione and ropo)

And yet, there are some fans wanting either one of those two as a 5/8 **sceptical look**

ozbash_old

guten targ said:
ozbash said:

Certainly shows that times change and that a culture to support ones team mates to make something of nothing is definately still elusive and hardly seen since it dropped in for a fleeting visit back in 02/03.

Pity I'm looking back to yesteryear after seeing big holes today and praying and kicking the seat in front of me in the hope I see a lot more of what you elude too oz

Pity also that the fire and abilities in some are wasted because they're used to fulfilling some other menial task but the one they're suited too on the paddock

Pity also that...ah bugger never mind

totally agree mate and it makes me wonder what has changed to such a huge extent, although when i watch saint helens play in the esl i still see the old 'kamikazi flair' even without the polynesian players.

maybe it was the coach after all ? .