General Warriors Preseason 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newstalk zb are talking about a new south island nrl team, have I missed some important announcement? Who's the big star fronting the bid, Jason Gunn?

The consortium came together last year - maybe around September or a bit earlier. All been pretty tight lipped since then.

The major news being the consortium will make a public and official bid to be an NRL expansion team in 2026 during this Las Vegas event. Does the bid need a hollywood star? fuck no but the NRL seem to want to deal in the limelight these days so I guess it helps the bid.

Quite frankly, with a new stadium being delivered the same year and the current buzz about the Warriors, NZ will simply never ever have a second team if this bid is not successful. If not now, then when?

My guess is they have been told by the NRL if they can get a proper bid together, it will be theirs to lose - it sounds like that is happening.

It was no hidden secret the Dolphins had been greenlit for their bid long before the process ended.

The consortium came together last year - maybe around September or a bit earlier. All been pretty tight lipped since then.

The major news being the consortium will make a public and official bid to be an NRL expansion team in 2026 during this Las Vegas event. Does the bid need a hollywood star? fuck no but the NRL seem to want to deal in the limelight these days so I guess it helps the bid.

Quite frankly, with a new stadium being delivered the same year and the current buzz about the Warriors, NZ will simply never ever have a second team if this bid is not successful. If not now, then when?

My guess is they have been told by the NRL if they can get a proper bid together, it will be theirs to lose - it sounds like that is happening.

It was no hidden secret the Dolphins had been greenlit for their bid long before the process ended.
I hope it comes through but just maybe 2028... a few more years of total wah dominion

We can send Jacinda Ardern 🤭😉

Two NRL teams to support.

Gee imagine that.
Alas, I think it will be a cold, snowy day in Hell before then...

The general support for the Warriors isn't "rusted on" enough, as they like to say in Aussie, to make a second NRL team viable.

Just watch as soon as the boys lose their first regular season game...

On top of which, how many non-Auckland Warriors fans would jump ship as soon as the non-Auckland NRL team is announced? That's not growing a crowd, it's cannibalizing it or at best just moving it around...

Alas, I think it will be a cold, snowy day in Hell before then...

The general support for the Warriors isn't "rusted on" enough, as they like to say in Aussie, to make a second NRL team viable.

Just watch as soon as the boys lose their first regular season game...

On top of which, how many non-Auckland Warriors fans would jump ship as soon as the non-Auckland NRL team is announced? That's not growing a crowd, it's cannibalizing it or at best just moving it around...

I couldn't disagree more.

This country comfortably supports 5 super rugby teams, all of whom have won Super rugby in the last decade.

A second team would also force Sky to pay more for the broadcast rights, a major part of the decision making criteria from NRL.

A second NRL team in NZ would be the biggest threat to Rugby, and the biggest boom to the kiwis - doubling the catchment area of junior talent to stay in NZ.

You would also get two derbys each year which I think would very quickly become two of the biggest games in the sporting calendar.

Anyone that attended those Blues V Crusaders games at Eden Park in the early 2000s will know what I'm talking about.

We'd be in league heaven bro, hope it's real.
Nah mate, I was listening and it was just Roman Travis doing his usual BS rants. He admitted that NRL will most likely award it to PNG as the Chinese are pouring money into PNG with the hope of setting up a base on Australia's doorstep. Vlandy's will be getting pressure from Politicians to give team to PNG. Shame really as Christchurch would be the obvious place to help us retain a few more of the abundant Kiwi talent.
And those Cantabs (Who mated with Cyclops) are a very loyal bunch to anything South Island.

Nah mate, I was listening and it was just Roman Travis doing his usual BS rants. He admitted that NRL will most likely award it to PNG as the Chinese are pouring money into PNG with the hope of setting up a base on Australia's doorstep. Vlandy's will be getting pressure from Politicians to give team to PNG. Shame really as Christchurch would be the obvious place to help us retain a few more of the abundant Kiwi talent.
And those Cantabs (Who mated with Cyclops) are a very loyal bunch to anything South Island.

Could be that a PNG is next and another NZ team then follows that? Also would need some assurances around a PNG bid that players would be willing to reside there, have enough issues getting players to NZ let alone PNG who doesn’t enjoy the luxuries of other places.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world-news/...a-new-guinea-tribal-violence-australian-state

Think this sort of thing still going on is too much of a threat to be having an nrl team based here. Probably nowhere near where players would potentially be staying or playing but the threat of a group being able to get a platform in some way is possible? I know aussie teams have toured there plenty in the past and recent times but drafting players to stay permanently could be a barrier? With it looking like there’s perhaps 4 or more possible additions to the nrl, leading I think is PNG, NZ2, Perth, Bears? They could amalgamate PNG and Perth so players reside in Perth? Could be a tough sell with home games needing to be split between Perth and PNG? And NZ2 and bears being the other with NZ2 being a South Island team.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world-news/...a-new-guinea-tribal-violence-australian-state

Think this sort of thing still going on is too much of a threat to be having an nrl team based here. Probably nowhere near where players would potentially be staying or playing but the threat of a group being able to get a platform in some way is possible? I know aussie teams have toured there plenty in the past and recent times but drafting players to stay permanently could be a barrier? With it looking like there’s perhaps 4 or more possible additions to the nrl, leading I think is PNG, NZ2, Perth, Bears? They could amalgamate PNG and Perth so players reside in Perth? Could be a tough sell with home games needing to be split between Perth and PNG? And NZ2 and bears being the other with NZ2 being a South Island team.
I think the plan would be to be based in QLD, most likely Cairns. The tribal fighting and riots are not a good look, and if PNG gets the nod would confirm that the decision is political.

I think the plan would be to be based in QLD, most likely Cairns. The tribal fighting and riots are not a good look, and if PNG gets the nod would confirm that the decision is political.
The tribal fighting is in the highlands, which isn’t accessible by road from Moresby. The highlands are like their own little world.

The riots in Moresby are more concerning and I agree they will primarily be based in Aus.

Hey I’m having issues accessing tickets on my phone. I can log in easy enough on the laptop but can’t seem to find where I need to go to download my ticket to my phone (I’m a member). Can anyone assist pls?

FYI have moved 36 pages from this thread to its own Tigers trial game thread so it has its own stand alone thread thats easy to find. We'll do the same for the Dolphins game too. Tigers thread has team list and full game in the first post. This thread will remain our 2024 preseason thread as is customary...

FYI have moved 36 pages from this thread to its own Tigers trial game thread so it has its own stand alone thread thats easy to find. We'll do the same for the Dolphins game too. Tigers thread has team list and full game in the first post. This thread will remain our 2024 preseason thread as is customary...

You're a legend!!!!

Chur bro.

Can we have a thread for this weekends game too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back