Sports Rugby World Cup 2023

Not Christie's? 😆

The commentators say Christie is a better tackler but from what I've seen of Roigard which isn't very much, he's the much better and faster passer, and reminds me more of Smith than Christie does. Christie has the position at the moment, but I believe it'll be Roigard's to take if he is serious enough about it.

I'm not even sure where Smith's Highlander replacement halfback, Folau Faktava, is in the pecking order either.

The commentators say Christie is a better tackler but from what I've seen of Roigard which isn't very much, he's the much better and faster passer, and reminds me more of Smith than Christie does. Christie has the position at the moment, but I believe it'll be Roigard's to take if he is serious enough about it.

I'm not even sure where Smith's Highlander replacement halfback, Folau Faktava, is in the pecking order either.
Christie has the ‘runs on the board’ but think Roigard will surpass him fairly quickly. Interesting to not the Hurricanes didn’t seem to try to keep Christie but now have Roigard

Christie has the ‘runs on the board’ but think Roigard will surpass him fairly quickly. Interesting to not the Hurricanes didn’t seem to try to keep Christie but now have Roigard
Christie is already 28 whereas Roigard is 22 and Fakatava is 23. Christies hit his development ceiling already, the other two are still rising.

Christie is already 28 whereas Roigard is 22 and Fakatava is 23. Christies hit his development ceiling already, the other two are still rising.
Fakatava I think has been shown up a bit, he was 2nd choice at the Magpies (albeit behind Webber)

I remember watching the 2019 RWC, thinking the game's turned to custard with all the red cards, over-officiating and complicated rules.

It's only got worse over the intervening period and it doesn't fill anyone with confidence that the next RWC will be any better.

They've made their bed unfortunately. Any rule changes require the cooperation of the other big rugby nations and none of them want to agree to anything that might disadvantage their own local rugby union. So I think rugby is in a bit of a death spiral until someone with some balls (er, money) takes these horses to the trough and makes them drink.

No wonder kids are turning away from rugby, in favour of other sports. Plenty of households will continue to switch off, so the supply of rugby talent will dwindle away over time. If the game on TV is boring, the uptake will be low

Awarded a penalty against the AB’s and when questioned by Ardie, Barnes looks at the replay and admits he got it wrong. Doesn’t reverse it and gifts SA 3 points. That’s some Wahs level, Graham Annesley apologetic officiating.
There's a good analysis of this on the Herald website. That it wasn't a "Sorry, I got it wrong" - because he didn't: Ardie didn't clear his hands cleanly enough - but a "Sorry, I didn't see the replay" (that Ardie was referring to when he queried it). https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/wa...our-of-springboks/JL5JXTHV4RBOFNB4GAL4JUJRYA/

Awarded a penalty against the AB’s and when questioned by Ardie, Barnes looks at the replay and admits he got it wrong. Doesn’t reverse it and gifts SA 3 points. That’s some Wahs level, Graham Annesley apologetic officiating.
See El Chuckie's response beneath your comment which is exactly as I understood his comment to be

Turning the yellow card against South African captain from yellow into red. He should have over ruled the bunker.

Is that even something he can do?

I watched the game effectively as a neutral as I've completely lost any emotional attachment to the ABs.

I thought the only thing NZ were hard done by was Kolisis card also not being upgraded. But I didn't think his tackle was as bad as Canes either. But i don't watch much rugby so not sure of the thresholds for cards?

NZ made too many handling errors and were content to kick the ball back to SA all the time.

I had to laugh when the commentators mentioned how both teams knew how valuable possession was. Lol, if it's so valuable why do both teams keep kicking it away?

Also on commentators, Nisbo should've been put out to pasture 10 years ago.

I thought the only thing NZ were hard done by was Kolisis card also not being upgraded. But I didn't think his tackle was as bad as Canes either. But i don't watch much rugby so not sure of the thresholds for cards?
They are coming down really hard on how upright the defender is at the point of contact and at those times give little in the way of 'mitigating factors', even when the player in possession has some responsibility in the contact.

Along with Cane the other big call in the World Cup was the pool game between England and Argentina when Curry got upgraded to a red:

But then there was this one from France's Taofifenua against Uruguay which looked worse than any and only got yellow. When watching it live I thought he was going to be given a red which would have put France under massive pressure as they were not having a good game (play at 1:10):

That one was really confusing.

I would be interested in hearing what decisions you think Barnes bottled in this final
For me the TMO was just as bad, few been mentioned here before but main ones were the inconsistencies between team and decisions. Few standouts;
The Frizzell card - Purely accidental and missed SA intentional elbow to the face of an ABs player in the lead up. Here’s one of my main gripes the tmo is very selective in what they highlight, elbow was ignored and the Frizzell incident looked at. Barnes recommends sanction, upon the red card review period it’s found to be accidental and no fault of player- then why did he go to the bin in the first place. SA scored points during this time of a man advantage.
Ardie incident, wrong decision admitted but not overturned (3 points conceded), contrast this with the ABs disallowed try where Barnes says he saw it and it was ok, then multiple phases reviewed and his decision is over turned, can cop the decision but it highlights the inconsistency on when to over turn and when not to.
Missed a blantant knock on from FDK (actually saw it and said it was fine, it very much so wasn’t) which would have given us good feild position when we were under the pump.
Ignored arm to head contact on de Groot
Canes card- ok but Kolisi should have seen red too.
Last play of game SA delay scrum put in on a (at the time) dominant ABs scrum, minimum free kick to ABs, they then pull down their own maul to kill the ball - should have been a kick able penalty to the All Blacks.
First half was pretty bad at only reffing one side and again my main gripe with the TMO is when they choose to intervene and when they choose to turn a blind eye, damage was done first half but if they examined with the same scrutiny at almost every breakdown you could find something

Back