General Predictions for next season.

Reaction score
Robster

Robster

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
I know this season hasn't finished but how do you feel the Warriors will go next season? Dane Nielsen and Thomas leuluai being our only signings so far - I think Thomas Leuluai is a good super league player but he is no Maloney and do think he will struggle at NRL Standard. Nielsen is solid (better then Benry) but not special , perhaps one of the less quality players to put on the Queensland Jersey. I think for the Warriors to be a force next year we will need much better signings because I'm predicting us not to make the 8. But then again anything could happen.

Reaction score

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It all depends on outside back recruitment for mine...if they are planning on using the same wingers next year, we are going to be torn apart out wide like we have been
this year.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I still don't get why there are still some people that doubt Leuluai's calibre. The guy's defence is solid, he is the only super-league player that consistently makes the Kiwi's, he's the half-back of one of the very few super-league clubs that would be able to manage in the NRL in Wigan. Whilst Maloney's support play is definitely going to be missed I think a fully fit Locke will fill in the gaps whereas Leuluai will strengthen us in other apartments. One of those apartments being less headhighs, less miss tackles (i'm hoping) and just general intelligence.

I also agree with Facey, seriously I feel like the only club that when see's a problem in the side just sticks with it anyway. Even before our messiah came.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

We will not get better until attempts are made to change whats wrong.

* Fitness
* Wing/Centre defence
* Missed tackles in general
* New coach (i wish)

Reaction score
jsmooove

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
depends on preseason. like they did in 2010/2011 they should not be touching a footbal, till the new year. everything should be fitness focused. and some players should be bulking up while others trimming down,

If Mclennan is back next year i'd like him to stop being so matey with everyone.

Reaction score
Ryan

Ryan

Heritage Member
Reaction score
I still don't get why there are still some people that doubt Leuluai's calibre.
Because International and SL evidence counts for jack in the presentation of a case for NRL newbie's potential (despite pedigree elsewhere, he will still be a relative NRL newbie), as seen with Bluey this season. Being good in a competition outside the NRL could mean success in the NRL (as their are a few obvious examples, MacGuire, Burgess, Ellis, et al), but is far from guaranteed. The only way we can really assess a team member's worth in the NRL is if they have NRL experience.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

Because International and SL evidence counts for jack in the presentation of a case for NRL newbie's potential (despite pedigree elsewhere, he will still be a relative NRL newbie), as seen with Bluey this season. Being good in a competition outside the NRL could mean success in the NRL (as their are a few obvious examples, MacGuire, Burgess, Ellis, et al), but is far from guaranteed. The only way we can really assess a team member's worth in the NRL is if they have NRL experience.
The issue I have with criticism of Leuluai is "who are you comparing him to?' Who is a better option?

Is he going to be better than some inexperienced kid from our nsw cup or u20s?

Yes.

Is he going to be a better option than some back up player from another NRL club who isn't good enough to play FG at that club?

Highly Likely.

Are we going to shell out 800K a season for a Cronk or Thurston?

No.

Then I will happily go with 27yr old Leuluai and his the experience of 30 nrl games, 150 ESL games, 30 tests and multiple ESL titles and a World Cup win.

No brainer.

We will not buy a star, he will be better than a kid. I'm confused at how this is not a good move?

Reaction score
Ryan

Ryan

Heritage Member
Reaction score
No brainer.
I didn't say anything about whether I think the choice to recruit TL was a good one, or not (for the record, I love it and I personally think he will go well in our team). My response was simply an answer Fanrrior's question as a likely reason why some fans do not rate him to fit well with the Warriors. Rating TL as a player in general, and rating TL as a player in the NRL, and rating TL as player for the Warriors can all be mutual unique standpoints.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

and my point is simply that he is the best available player in the price range we are willing to spend.

Reaction score
Ryan

Ryan

Heritage Member
Reaction score
and my point is simply that he is the best available player in the price range we are willing to spend.
So why did you quote my post? I don't understand what your point had to do with my answer to Fanrrior.

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
All hope is gone, its 2009 revisited. As with 2010 the best case scenario is just making the top 8.

Like this year we have more new players in key positions, there have been no improvements at all this year with the same mistakes and problems as the start of the year. Why should we expect a miracle next year.

As you can tell Im beyond depressed today.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

You said: Because International and SL evidence counts for jack in the presentation of a case for NRL newbie's potential

I think those thing DO count but only when you are making comparisons between 2 or more options.

If a coach or player is up against another for a position in the NRL and neither have much or any NRL experience then it seems illogical not to go with the one who has experience of international or ESL.

In the Leuluai case the other options a not as good based on his experience.

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
We will not get better until attempts are made to change whats wrong.

* Fitness
I don't get how this is even a factor with the warriors.. i'm sure we've had the same fitness/conditioning coach for the last squillion years.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

I don't get how this is even a factor with the warriors.. i'm sure we've had the same fitness/conditioning coach for the last squillion years.
perhaps complacency

Reaction score
Ryan

Ryan

Heritage Member
Reaction score
You said: Because International and SL evidence counts for jack in the presentation of a case for NRL newbie's potential

I think those thing DO count but only when you are making comparisons between 2 or more options.

If a coach or player is up against another for a position in the NRL and neither have much or any NRL experience then it seems illogical not to go with the one who has experience of international or ESL.

In the Leuluai case the other options a not as good based on his experience.
Right. I understand.

Although the way I worded that, and how it reads at face value to yourself, is not exactly as I intended. Perhaps I should have said, "it's likely that fans want to reserve their opinions on TL until he actually starts playing the NRL".

That said, I totally agree with you. I'd rather an experienced head (even if it meant from outside the NRL) over a newbie because the team has too much inexperience right now.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I suppose that's fair enough for why one would think he's going to suck here, or those that aren't sure whether he will play well.

What I meant is specifically Leuluai's calibre, I didn't mean whether he will play well for us or not, though I might have accidentally implied it in the rest of my post. Leuluai is a good player imo, as much as I hate the "lets blame the coach" excuse I think that if he doesn't succeed it will be because he wasn't used properly.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
About fitness, surely playing most weekends over a long season increases fitness? Some here are making it sound as if the fitness level of the team as of round one is where the fitness level stays all year. Aerobic fitness must increase by default over the course of the year simply because of playing, let alone further training. For me it seems to be a combination of inexperience, poor decisions by coach and players and like last night some bad luck, eg every Manly kick bouncing perfectly into the arms of a Manly player. Either way for me right now the biggest concern is not whether they make the 8 but rather how far they fall.

Reaction score
Ryan

Ryan

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Right. I understand.

Although the way I worded that, and how it reads at face value to yourself, is not exactly as I intended. Perhaps I should have said, "it's likely that fans want to reserve their opinions on TL until he actually starts playing the NRL".

That said, I totally agree with you. I'd rather an experienced head (even if it meant from outside the NRL) over a newbie because the team has too much inexperience right now.
I should have added that I, by mistake, skirted around addressing the the first part of my post, the part you responded to. And that is to say, I am wrong. Yes it does count for something. My personal low opinion of SL, in general, allowed me to make that invalid statement.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
We have, and off memory it was Wiki wasn't it? The saddest part is we were one of the fittest clubs last year.

I heard rumours that bluey wanted to spend less time on it and more time on attacking plays. But without an article that means very little.

Top Bottom