General Post Canberra Trial Thoughts

Wiki_old

Here is the commentary :D https://www.nzwarriors.com/viewtopic.php?t=6777&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I am happy with what I have heard from the game. The boys skills lacked a bit - thats nothing that cant be improved easily or without too much trouble.

I didn't care if our boys won or lost. To me it was about us playing well in the halves to get that combination right and for the new boys to show us what they can do.

As well, Martin sounded ok and kicked well.

And rememer there was no Wiki, Price or Webb. Especially, Wiki and Price. Thats huge. Thats our front row nearly. Thats our captains. Thats our leadership. And they are both solid on defence and were top props in the NRL last season. Need I say more.

I'm happy :)

mosh_old

I think if we have learnt anything from this trial is that we need to start Cooper Vuna who was outstanding and created the play of the match with his solo effort.
Seems like the old handling errors are still there. Im glad we lost as if we won 44-10 most of our defencies would have been overlooked. Now we have a month to shape up into a top8 side.

Wiki_old

Where are we going to put Vuna though?

Wing? We have two solid wings.

Centre? We already know Toopi and Martin will be there.

Fullback? Webb is there.

I'm frustrated because I want Vuna to start / be in the squad. Since he can play all 3 positions maybe he will come off the bench as a utility player and use some of that power to really take it to the boys.

In fact maybe he will be better off the bench? He sounds like he is an impact player. Especially in his first season maybe thats where we need to play him.

AmeriKiwi_old

I haven`t heard the final score yet, but from reading the posts here, sounds like they lost today. Doesn`t mean a thing, though... pre-season is all about finding out which players are the best fit for a team, and as Wiki said, the star players sat this one out. No problem, no worries... the Warriors will be good to go March 12th!!

Jesbass_old

The final score was 28-16, AmeriKiwi. Five tries to three, though one of Canberra's shouldn't have been awarded, in my opinion. In a proper first grade match, it would have gone to a video referee, who would have had a much more accurate view of whether or not it was a legitimate try.

Poor handling was what lost the game for us today. We'd gain some momentum, only to knock the ball on or lose control after a hasty pass. Our defence was solid, but even that can only keep the opposition out for so long if you're constantly giving them the ball.

The new recruits stood up well. Tuakura was solid, and made a couple of very impressive offloads. Cooper Vuna's try was outstanding, in my opinion. He intercepted a chip kick from 60 metres out, stepped half a dozen defenders, and scored a try. That was my pick for play of the match.

da mad maori

C'mon guys, of the three games we have in pre-season, this would have been the easiest to grab.There is no better way of boosting young guys confidence than by winning. Excuse me, but our leaders [Wiki and Price} should have been there. Solely for the newbies to learn off, and to follow. Training with them dont bring results on the field. Its about gametime together. Now its all uphill.
Trust me, I wont be far from the truth.

KeepingTheFaith_old

And once we beat the Cowboys next week followed by the Bulldogs the following week then we'll have all the confidence in the world. Having said that I've probably condemned us to 40 point thrashings now.

PB_old

Well, that was interesting. Overall impressions? The Warriors development side showed they are just that, individuals with talent who were in a team that needs to develop. The North Harbour selection looked similar except they knew where to be in relation to each other. Those combinations resulted in a thrashing. Well played.

Now the main event.

Very Good.

Martin. Very sound, scored a good try and kicking was OK. He is accurate, but doesn't get a lot of distance. Boys need to ensure they score a couple of metres in on the RHS of field as he is less confident there. Most importantly, NOT INJURED!

Vuna. Sensational solo effort. Good wheels backing up in general play. Nice in-goal clean up from a Raiders kick-through. Needs to be on the bench.

Luck. Sowed up a bench spot. Tidied up others errors. Good in defence, especially a 5th tackle ball-in-all followed by a one-on-one strip.

Good

Lance Hohaia. Looked confident, and starting the trek back to last years form.

Toopi. Came in on defence causing a hole once that I noticed, but aside from that his acceleration seemed sharp, and his head was up. A confident Toopi is needed this year.

Impact defence. As opposed to organisational D, there were some big hits again. Good to see some sting. Villasanti especially.

Rapira and Tuakura. Solid start to their careers. Rapira (I'm presuming he was number 23) looked especially keen.

Needs work.

Organisational Defence. Inability to deal with someone cutting back on the angle when drifting wide, as highlighted by Schifcofske carving us up or react quick enough generally. This improved as the game went on, however.

Execution. This will come with more play, of course, but last pass/kick options were poor. Koopus' slack pass to his outside man after making a good break an example of that.

Ball security It's early on, so no real issue but the ball is number one priority. Losing too much of means days, like today - a mediocre team winning.

Faumuina. Obviously needs more time in the position. Looked like he was struggling to figure out where he should be on the field.

Ummm...probably not good.

Lauaki Couple of hit and spins. Glory dive to attempt to score after a good break when he lacked the wheels and so made himself an easy target. Offload in traffic to a Raiders player. Knocked on in a sloppy play the ball and blamed anyone else. Standard day at the office for the Lauaki family.

Tuimavave. Lost two balls when hitting up. Adequate otherwise, which pretty much sums it up. Prospects given there being better bench players around are slim.

A pass mark for everyone else, although a few needed to look for more work. Vatuvei was one of them but he didn't look right to me. Rovelli, looked keen but needs lots more time to gel with the other players.

Vuna put his hand up and a bench spot may be on the cards. He could then come into fullback as cover for Webb when Hohaia comes off, maiking Webb the dummy half option. If Luck plays like that again he'll nail a bench spot too.

Only the first trial so I'm not overly concerned, but I noticed the crowd lapsing into typical NZ self-depreciation mode. To paraphrase, "Looks like the same old Warriors." "Is the psychological distress from watching them covered by ACC." You've all heard it. Success is the only way to defeat that sort of talk so that is what is needed.

The Raiders, much maligned but fielding their second string outfit were better than us for sure. Given, as I state, their 2nd stringers ARE mediocre there is much work to do. No doubt it will get done, but it will have to.

I look forward to the next trial and the improvement it must bring.

2big2strong_old

I have to say I'm really dissapointed, Raiders are favourites for wooden spoon this year and they played with a near premier league side today. we had a near full strength side and got sassed. two words. BALL SKILLS, maybe bring out the medicine ball at training. in the words of jake, 'too much weights, not enuff speed work'

PB_old

Wiki said:

Cheer up boys. Its a trial and your already bagging the boys.

Typical.

I'm happy enough Wiki.

It's a trial and it pointed out things to work on, so no stress there. But it was a trial for Canberra too and trial or not, they should've been spanked with the team they put out.

Onward and upward, judgement is reserved for Round 12. :D

Wiki_old

Polar Bob said:
Wiki said:

Cheer up boys. Its a trial and your already bagging the boys.

Typical.

I'm happy enough Wiki.

It's a trial and it pointed out things to work on, so no stress there. But it was a trial for Canberra too and trial or not, they should've been spanked with the team they put out.

Onward and upward, judgement is reserved for Round 12. :D

Quite true, but it also depends on the goal that they were trying to achieve man.

Ivan could have gone out there and said I want everyone to show me their best individual performance or whatever.

Haha, I know ...far fetched. Whatever ;).

But hey, I'll reserve judgement till Round 12 as well.

ozbash_old

I go along with DMM.
Time the warriors got serious and develope a killer instinct EVERY time they wear the jersey.
All this "it was only a trial" b/s is just that, a b/s losers attitude.

time some of these developemental players were shunted up the order to give some of our "reputation" players (villa,lauaki,toopi) the shake up they need.

its time some of our senior members pulled finger and started to earn their spot.

why wasnt pricey (the teams captain ffs) and wiki not playing ?

LeagueNut_old

Wiki said:
I was thinking that today as well. Frankly, if I was picking the team, I'd put him in Todd Byrne's jersey. Nothing against Toddy, but Vuna showed a lot more than he did today.

I know it's only one match, so I'm probably being a bit hasty. But realistically, where else can he fit into the team?

mosh_old

old kiwi said:
I go along with DMM.
Time the warriors got serious and develope a killer instinct EVERY time they wear the jersey.

time some of these developemental players were shunted up the order to give some of our "reputation" players (villa,lauaki,toopi) the shake up they need.

its time some of our senior members pulled finger and started to earn their spot.

You make a good point.

Two of our senior props. Rotate them in these trials. Price to miss one game while Wiki plays, Price to play without Wiki and both to appear together in the 3rd and toughest trial against the Bulldogs away.

Thats how they operate in an NRL match, when Price is off the field Wiki is usually on. There needed to be atleast 1 senior prop.

LeagueNut_old

old kiwi said:
I go along with DMM.
Bollocks mate. A trial is not a "win at all costs" match by any stretch. In saying that, any of the players that went in with a "b/s losers attitude" won't find themselves in the team for Round 1.

old kiwi said:
Because Cleary already knows what they can do, therefore they don't need to prove themselves. I guess he's saying to the team "the #8 and #10 jersey are taken, get out there and try and earn one of the others".

Kiwi League_old

I was at the game and thought Lauaki added a lot to the team when he was on.

Kav_old

LeagueNut said:
Wiki said:
I was thinking that today as well. Frankly, if I was picking the team, I'd put him in Todd Byrne's jersey. Nothing against Toddy, but Vuna showed a lot more than he did today.

I know it's only one match, so I'm probably being a bit hasty. But realistically, where else can he fit into the team?

Fullback? (with Webb at stand off and Faumuina at loose forward)

LeagueNut_old

That's creative thinking Kav!

Personally, I reckon shifting Webb from #1 is similar to shifting Sione from #13 ... why move a player from their best position to fill another weakness in the team?

Wiki_old

It should be interesting.

Also, I do think some of you guys have unrealistic thoughts on a trial. It is not a win at all costs. No way.

You guys push for the young guys to get a run and when they rest Price and Wiki who are already a guarantee to play, you start moaning :D

All will be ok come round one.