General Positional Experiments You'd Like To See

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
A thread to discuss what sort of (hypothetical) positional experiments you think might be interesting, including experiments that you would never do. I.e Locke to wing

Personally, even though I would never risk changing arguably our best prop, I had been wondering what Matulino would be like if he was put back in the second-row.

Reaction score
jsmooove

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Subtle change would be mannering at lock. I think he is perfect to replace Luck.

Reaction score
OMG

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
A thread to discuss what sort of (hypothetical) positional experiments you think might be interesting, including experiments that you would never do. I.e Locke to wing

Personally, even though I would never risk changing arguably our best prop, I had been wondering what Matulino would be like if he was put back in the second-row.
It's costing him a fortune being a Prop, wasted at Prop really he was on target to be one the best ball players the club has had, people have all but forgotten his Ali like offloads and he has some nice footwork for a big boy and even at Prop he still runs the nice line for a hole instead of trying to run over the top of them. It isn't a risk to put him where he should be playing, imagine having a fringe running 2nd rower that's there just to punch holes in the line just like every other team has.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Matulino is a a metre eating prop and thats where I'd like him to stay. Just because a person is a prop that doesnt mean he cant be a ball player. Sam Kasiano was the best example of that last season.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

I would like to see the Warriors change their traditional approach to outside backs and give a few forwards a chance to play at wing and centre. :I

Reaction score
Magic Stick

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Id like to see John Palavi/Sam Lousi and Seb Ikahihifo tried in the centers...And Bill Tupou too take his dads Tony's position as waterboy

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It's costing him a fortune being a Prop, wasted at Prop really he was on target to be one the best ball players the club has had, people have all but forgotten his Ali like offloads and he has some nice footwork for a big boy and even at Prop he still runs the nice line for a hole instead of trying to run over the top of them. It isn't a risk to put him where he should be playing, imagine having a fringe running 2nd rower that's there just to punch holes in the line just like every other team has.
I think our problem is that we only have two genuine props: Rapira and Packer
Say what you want about the performance of Lillyman, Lousi and Matulino, not too long ago they were all 2nd-rowers and they all can make the switch back if Elliot wanted.
What would you say to this forward pack?

8. Packer
9. Friend
10. Matulino
11. Mateo
12. Mannering
13. Lowrie

14. Rapira
15. Lillyman
16. Lousi
17. Tuimavave

With our converted props switching from the front-row to 2nd row throughout the game.
Whereas Tuimavave and Ropati can cover all the backs' positions in the case of injury.

Reaction score
iago

iago

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Get off the grass. Matulino wasn't a SBW/Ali clone that was carving up in the backrow until Ivan decided we needed an extra prop. He was a sub-par second rower, especially on attack. His leg speed wasn't quick enough and he was getting chopped down in first-time tackles. What he does possess however is footwork and ball skills superior to that of the majority of props running around. Last year was a breakout year in terms of becoming one of the premier props in the game, but his progress prior to that had been steady.

I also don't understand the man-love for Mannering at lock? Yes he's capable of playing there, and he'd probably be quite good. But what benefit is he likely to give that team over Lowrie in that position? Or more importantly, what are we likely to lose with having Lowrie playing second row? It just seems like an unnecessary change. Simon has spent his entire life at centre or second row. He hasn't been spectacular on attack, but he still runs good lines and knows how to defend sandwiched between less-than-adequate outside backs and halves.

Lillyman came across as a backrower but the guy has bulked up since then and he's no longer a tacklebot Luck clone. He's built for the front row and he should stay there. Again there seems to be sweet fuck all gain in moving him from his current position back to a backrow role years after he's made the transition.

As for the original question. I'd like to see as many players as possible have a shot on the wing during the trials. I don't care who they are, within reason. If Jerome can survive longer than 5 mins then he should get time there, as should Nielsen, as should Peyroux (though I suspect Peyroux is closer to a backrower than a winger, but hey so is Manu). Fisiiahi should be an automatic option to be trialed there also. If Hurrell isn't being moulded as a certain starter at centre then throw him on the wing too.

And I think the positional experiment that is far and away the most overdue is Manu in the backrow.

Reaction score
bigstu

bigstu

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
my changes i want to see would be to have fisiahi bulk up and play a year in the centres at the vulcans. dane neilson to play wing in the top side, peyroux to be centre with konrad.

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Return of the halfback playing as a sweeper behind the D line.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Return of the halfback playing as a sweeper behind the D line.
Yes!! combined with an up and in rush umbrella defence with dual drop back wingers.

Reaction score
Ref

Ref

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'd like to see us put most of the backs to the blind side of the scrum and leave just Hurrell/Manu and Locke/Fish on the open.
With all that room, the strong one should almost bust the tackle and create the space for the fast one.

Reaction score
eX | Machina

eX | Machina

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Several positional experiments interest me

6. Locke - he'd cause havoc close to the ruck with more ball
Manu - off bench 2nd row - IMPACT
13. Ropati - runs good lines and is still pretty quick and powerful when fit. Would make for an interesting 13
13. Mannering - much more similar player to Todd Lowrie then Michael Luck
7. Packer - obligatory ridiculous suggestion for lolz

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to see if we could address Bill Tupou's defensive issues with a positional change. Possibly a switch to Left-Right Out?

Somebody had to.

Reaction score
BA-AD Luck

BA-AD Luck

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I've always like the idea of Locke playing in 6. I've put Tuimavave in the halves with Locke, as I can only see confusion between Locke and Johnson. Since this is is a hypothetical team; here is my dream team copy catting ex Machina's thought of playing Ropo in 13.
Johnson
Fisiiahi
Hurrell
Nielsen
Vatuvei
Locke
Tuimavave
Matulino
Sjeika
Rapira
Mateo
Mannering
Ropati

Godinet
Packer
Sam Lousi if he is faster and fitter than previous years or even Matagi (although I've never seen him play)
Ikahihifo

Reaction score
mode81

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Probably a reversal in Warriors trends over the years in playing backrowers in the centres but I think Hurrell would make a destructive second rower just a bit of a hunch

Tuimavave at 6 with Johnson at 7 always been my preferred seniors halves combo

Would like to see Leuluai and Godinet switched between halves and dummy half for some variety and creativity a bit more frequently but not discounting Friend's influence just when the need arises

Steve Rapira to focus on second row only and find something extra in his game maybe a focus towards attack and offload to add to his grunt and leg drive

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Fixing the problem wings would warrant a bit of this kind of gambling ( as others have said already )

Hurrell has a playing style like Taniela Tuiaki , fast powerful.

Hurrell has proved a quick learner in his transition and with his deft / confident little kicks to the in goal last year he showed a weapon that could replace the loss of Vatuveis arial game.

It would be entirely dependent on putting him outside a player with top rate ball playing skills in lieu of less high balls ) Tuimavave as his inside man makes that possible.

Peroux on the right wing would mean Manu could finally run over people in the forwards. But I don't know if Peroux is up to it , just speculating for the sake of making Billy a back up center option ( Neilson / Tuimavave pairing......Ropati back up and the kid from the panthers...Tupou back up for both wing and center)

It would mean that we would be playing two wingers who can switch to Center mid game in an injury scenario....but then with Manu playing in other positions the imbalance would be a lack of injury cover at wing.

Not really a position switch...but Pita Godinet is the most versatile player the Warriors have......how about giving him a position period.

Reaction score

warriorworkhorse

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'd like to see ropati in the centres if fully fit alongside Dane nielson because isn't that why we bought him? Vatuvei will definately be one wing and the other will be a toss up, bill tupou doesn't offer much at all, hurrell can't be trusted under the high ball, teams will bomb him like they do to utai, and peyroux would is below average the games I saw him for the titans were terrible. Don't know who will fill that wing spot. Shaun Johnson and seijika to run the halves with Gordimer as backup, tuamavave just can't control the team around to play halves and is not quick or elusive enough for any back position like to see him in vulcans until improvement is made.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I'd like to see ropati in the centres if fully fit alongside Dane nielson because isn't that why we bought him? Vatuvei will definately be one wing and the other will be a toss up, bill tupou doesn't offer much at all, hurrell can't be trusted under the high ball, teams will bomb him like they do to utai, and peyroux would is below average the games I saw him for the titans were terrible. Don't know who will fill that wing spot. Shaun Johnson and seijika to run the halves with Gordimer as backup, tuamavave just can't control the team around to play halves and is not quick or elusive enough for any back position like to see him in vulcans until improvement is made.
We pretty much just finished posting the opposite of each others arguments , I think what you said about Hurrell under the high ball would be the biggest test for him, i was just making a hypothetical couple of leaps e.g he's from union , catching kicks is a fundamental of that game , I also made a dodgey leap from Hurrells adaptability to league so quickly equating to him being able to be molded on wing play ( a lot of if's but then this is one of those threads )

As for Tuimavave being too slow .....well Jamie Lyon is slow speed but the ball skills kills opposition defences

Top Bottom