General Poor crowds.

Northern_Union

Yeah you sort of lose me on that one Skinny.

As 2Black2Strong says there are 1.3 million people in Auckland and only 7 to 8,000 are turning up. This in a city where rugby league has a 100 year history in the game. A city where 47,000 turned up for the world cup final at Eden park between NZ and Australia.
Now, you take the Warriors games to Wellington, Christchurch or Hamilton and you get somewhere bewteen 15,000 and 22,000 for the match. You add the populations of these cities together and you don't have as many people as you do in Auckland. Admittiedly they all have proud histories in rugby league as Auckland does but the population base is a lot smaller.
So as i've been saying, it's time these games were played before all of New Zealand and not just Auckland seeing as it is the New Zealand Warriors as we kept getting told.
Aucklanders it would seem don't care about our team.

Sueb_old

RS_Dragon said:
Now, you take the Warriors games to Wellington, Christchurch or Hamilton and you get somewhere bewteen 15,000 and 22,000 for the match. You add the populations of these cities together and you don't have as many people as you do in Auckland. Admittiedly they all have proud histories in rugby league as Auckland does but the population base is a lot smaller.
So as i've been saying, it's time these games were played before all of New Zealand and not just Auckland seeing as it is the New Zealand Warriors as we kept getting told.

Dont forget though that alot of Aucklanders go to the Hamilton game. Also, don't forget that there are 7 to 8000 Aucklanders / New Zealanders at the game each fornight. It is yet to be tested that if the games were taken out of Auckland, how many "fans" would turn up each and every fortnight without fail.
My two cents worth.

Skinny_Ravs82

I'm not justifying anything I was just saying what I thought. And it's true, none of my friends know what rugby league is. Our family friends don't have a damn clue. Eg; I was talking to one a few weeks ago and I was rambling on about the warriors and he had NO idea what I was talking about. Yes, many of them are bandwagoners I agree none more so than others.
But if you ask me, its better to have a fair hardcore mob turning up, then a bunch if idiots not having a clue what they are watching.
Yes the side does deserve a big crowd and more aknowledgement but in saying that alot of kiwis in nz (no offene to anyone at all) aren't always in tune with that.

warriorfaithful*_old

RS_Dragon said:
Yeah you sort of lose me on that one Skinny.

As 2Black2Strong says there are 1.3 million people in Auckland and only 7 to 8,000 are turning up. This in a city where rugby league has a 100 year history in the game. A city where 47,000 turned up for the world cup final at Eden park between NZ and Australia.

Yeah it would be pretty awesome if the warriors played at a different NZ venue for there home games. They arent the auckland warriors any more lol. But to be honist i dont mind them playing at erricson so long as they get the crowds coming in.

Skinny_Ravs82

RS, while I know what you say is very true I also have to consider how much a draw it would be if they went to hammy, welly and cchurch. They have done those places...what once a year. Ok maybe deserves more but how can you prove on evidence of just 'one' game in those places that they would get the same big crowd every week? There is no proof of that. You also shouldn't draw on the rugby union factor because that code has been travelling on for years, the difference our nz union sides perform better on every faset to the league team.

AmeriKiwi_old

2 things need to be done to fill more seats at Ericsson... keep winning games as they`re doing, which will erase the losing Warriors image in about 1.1 Aucklander`s memories.
Secondly, they need to improve the fan entertainment level at Ericsson in order to make attending a game a fun and memorable experience that people will want to see again. They`re currently running the pre-game and halftime entertainment as a low budget, bare basics operation and it shows. Add some excitement, become a consistent team, as they`re beginning to do, and the seats will fill themselves.

2big2strong_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
RS, while I know what you say is very true I also have to consider how much a draw it would be if they went to hammy, welly and cchurch. They have done those places...what once a year. Ok maybe deserves more but how can you prove on evidence of just 'one' game in those places that they would get the same big crowd every week? There is no proof of that. You also shouldn't draw on the rugby union factor because that code has been travelling on for years, the difference our nz union sides perform better on every faset to the league team.

their is a lot more proof that crowds AREN'T coming to erricson then there is anything else. i say give it a go. we'd be losing massive ammounts of $$$ sitting back waiting for a crowd at erricson.

Skinny_Ravs82

2black2strong said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:

their is a lot more proof that crowds AREN'T coming to erricson then there is anything else. i say give it a go. we'd be losing massive ammounts of $$$ sitting back waiting for a crowd at erricson.

On a side note, I also know for a fact the NPC game crowds last year in auckland and in most other cities were crap. so league wasn't the only one suffering

warriorfaithful*_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Inregards to the entertainment side of things...what do you suggest?

I reckon what they did at the start of the year was good, having fat freedys drop as pre match entertaiment! I reckon have top kiwi bands or what have you to do a concert before the game. Just a suggestion lol.

Esoj_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
2black2strong said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:

On a side note, I also know for a fact the NPC game crowds last year in auckland and in most other cities were crap. so league wasn't the only one suffering

yeah maybe. was pretty full at the final in auckland though.

and this year in the super 14 with a crap blues team there still were 25.000 odd showing up.

I think it comes down to the style and also the blues had some superstar like rokocko and howlett that everyone knows.

the warriors really don't have many too well known players like an andrew johns from newcastle. also have to factor in the salary cap scandal and recent season's performance. didn't exactly get off to a flier this year either so the remaining faithful slowly left.

they will return though. with the team wining and runs like ah van's will get the crowd back

AmeriKiwi_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Inregards to the entertainment side of things...what do you suggest?

There are lots of little things they can do and a few bigger things, as well... people go to watch the game, of course, but they also want an overall "good feeling" when paying to see any event...
Cheerleaders - fun to watch and lead the cheer for the rest of us - bring `em back for sure.
School band competitions - junior bands would love a chance to strut their stuff before a large crowd and it adds to a family oriented theme.
Professional bands - well known kiwi bands/artists are a big draw card for any professional sporting event... hell, even amateur bands like bagpipers would be a good idea - nothing quite like the eery, battle call sound of bagpipes to put people into a winning mood.
Food vendors - part of the fun of going to American sporting events is to have vendors with trays of hot dogs, burgers and chips, soft drinks and beer, etc., walking up and down the aisles... a nice convenience for the fans and definitely a way to increase food sales/increase revenue.
Raffles - a free raffle for one lucky fan to win a Warriors cap and jersey... just another little thing to add a little fun.
Music - never underestimate the power of energetic, winning theme music... should be hearing it playing loud and proud before you even enter the gate.
Tailgate party b.b.q.`s...... love those at NFL games. People set up b.b.q. grilles hours before the game begins and mingle with fellow fanatics ahead of time. The management could do a similar thing inside the stadium while showing clips of great Warriors moments on the big screen.

There are plenty of other things they can do, of course, which would also add excitement and fun for the fans and would make attending a Warriors game something people would want to do again and again... and word of mouth would spread fast around Auckland. Of course, continuing to win games is also necessary, but it`s really a combination of both winning and the overall experience that makes going to games fun for everyone.

Skinny_Ravs82

Hey guys, for your knowledge I've set up a thread in the debates forum about wheather the warriors should move or not. So now you can take all your comments about that to that thread ;)

*Kimmy*_old

2black2strong said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
You guys sound jealous! hahahaha. Again people forget everyone has a life. they can't spend every weekend going to just about everything that is happening. If the public and media were a little more helpful and made these things open and knowledge to people about what is happening.

1-work commitmnet
2- family life
3- do people actually know what rugby league is? half the peopple I know back home can't tell the difference! (of course they think i'm mental that I can tell which is which)
4- peole have this perception of winning, they forget going to a game isn't just about winning its about having fun, turning up with your mates..etc and having a ball (win or lose. nothing better than sticking it in into the opposition)
5- sometimes when you're at a game you get put off by other annoying people. ex: last game at home against the Knights, where I was there was this damn annoying dickhead yelling out. **** moron.

whaaaat????

Auckland has NZ's largets population (aprox 1.3 million - a third of the counrty's population) and you're saying 8 000 people turning up to a game is justified by what you just said?

the truth is Kiwi's are the biggest bandwagoners in the world. when a team is winning it's "thats my team" when they're losing its "bloody useless, im switching to....sailing!" i remember when the all blacks got beaten in 2003 WC, at telstra there were people taking off their AB's clothing and leaving them in the stadium because they didn't want to be on a losing team. bad bad bad attitude, even saw one guy burn his jersey.

I've (and most of us on this forum) have been going for the warriors since day 1 win or lose but te fact is the rest of NZ doesn't unless they're at the top of the table. disgusts me

also WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING IN AUCKLAND???? rugby is over, there is 1.3 million people in auckland, 0.3 of that is probably at KFC while the game is on.
there is 140 thousand people in Newcastle and they still get 20,000 to their games win or lose
Grr i hate people like that. Your either with your team all the time..through the good times and bad..or not at all.

GRRRR..btw im in a very sad & angry mood at the moment (don't mind me)

AmeriKiwi_old

RS_Dragon said:
yeah but what about the naked big breasted cheerleaders?????

I was leading up to that RS... if you read the first line it says "a few bigger things, too". :D

Jesbass_old

2black2strong said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
You guys sound jealous! hahahaha. Again people forget everyone has a life. they can't spend every weekend going to just about everything that is happening. If the public and media were a little more helpful and made these things open and knowledge to people about what is happening.

1-work commitmnet
2- family life
3- do people actually know what rugby league is? half the peopple I know back home can't tell the difference! (of course they think i'm mental that I can tell which is which)
4- peole have this perception of winning, they forget going to a game isn't just about winning its about having fun, turning up with your mates..etc and having a ball (win or lose. nothing better than sticking it in into the opposition)
5- sometimes when you're at a game you get put off by other annoying people. ex: last game at home against the Knights, where I was there was this damn annoying dickhead yelling out. **** moron.

whaaaat????

Auckland has NZ's largets population (aprox 1.3 million - a third of the counrty's population) and you're saying 8 000 people turning up to a game is justified by what you just said?

the truth is Kiwi's are the biggest bandwagoners in the world. when a team is winning it's "thats my team" when they're losing its "bloody useless, im switching to....sailing!" i remember when the all blacks got beaten in 2003 WC, at telstra there were people taking off their AB's clothing and leaving them in the stadium because they didn't want to be on a losing team. bad bad bad attitude, even saw one guy burn his jersey.

I've (and most of us on this forum) have been going for the warriors since day 1 win or lose but te fact is the rest of NZ doesn't unless they're at the top of the table. disgusts me

also WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING IN AUCKLAND???? rugby is over, there is 1.3 million people in auckland, 0.3 of that is probably at KFC while the game is on.
there is 140 thousand people in Newcastle and they still get 20,000 to their games win or lose

I am a proud Kiwi, and I refuse to be thrown into your gross generalisation. I consider myself incredibly loyal, and have supported the Warriors since their inception. I was there at their opening match. At the age of 17, I bought my first season ticket - that was in 1999. I have been a season ticket holder ever since, and have made every home game except for the odd occasion, such as my wedding. I am not a bandwagoner. I am a loyal fan who, despite a British bloodline, considers rugby league to be my chosen sport, and the Warriors and the Kiwis are my teams. I have not missed a single game this season. I was there in 2004, even at the back end when we had to wait with baited breath to see whether the wooden spoon would go to us or the Rabbitohs. Do not label me a bandwagoner, and someone who only supports the Warriors when they are winning.

Kaiaua krusher_old

Just heard on Radio Sport that the Eels V Warriors match at Hamilton incurred a loss of $144,000 for the City Council - maybe more detail in the Waikato Times.

AmeriKiwi_old

Jesbass said:
2black2strong said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:

1-work commitmnet
2- family life

whaaaat????

I am a proud Kiwi, and I refuse to be thrown into your gross generalisation. I consider myself incredibly loyal, and have supported the Warriors since their inception. I was there at their opening match. At the age of 17, I bought my first season ticket - that was in 1999. I have been a season ticket holder ever since, and have made every home game except for the odd occasion, such as my wedding. I am not a bandwagoner. I am a loyal fan who, despite a British bloodline, considers rugby league to be my chosen sport, and the Warriors and the Kiwis are my teams. I have not missed a single game this season. I was there in 2004, even at the back end when we had to wait with baited breath to see whether the wooden spoon would go to us or the Rabbitohs. Do not label me a bandwagoner, and someone who only supports the Warriors when they are winning.

Excellent post, JJ. There are plenty of good Aucklanders and I`m proud to make Auckland and New Zealand my chosen permanent home, as well. 95% of kiwis are fine people and it`s not the people of Auckland or anywhere else in NZ who`ve let the Warriors down. The Warriors owners and the NZRL are responsible for promoting the team in the same way Union has done with the All Blacks. A huge part of drawing fans is to build a winning team, which they`re in the process of doing... but they must also instill a sense of entertainment value and excitement around the game, which has yet to be done as well as it could be done. Build it and they will come.