General Your 2024 lineup

Discussion starter;
I seem to be one of the odd ones out in regards to picking Adam Pompey over Rocco Berry and having Bunty in my line up.

The Pompey v Berry issue is just a preference (experience), I’d be very happy with Rocco getting the right centre position come round one.

It’s the no Bunty (or Ale) that’s really got me scratching my head.
For the record, I don’t think Bunty is some “must have” gun that’s just gonna run a muck. But I also genuinely believe that we would have been more competitive against Penrith and Brisbane with him in our side. Haas and Carrigan ain’t blasting their way through him like they did with Jazz and Sironen. They’re not, for all his faults (there are plenty) he can at least defend well.

Although Brisbane were clearly the better team straight from kickoff, it was when our bench rotated on where I feel they really got on top.
A bench of Walker, Jazz, Sironen and Curran didn’t work, and frankly got crushed.
I just question if a bench consisting of Walker, Jazz and CHT would do better that’s all.
For me, despite all his heart (I’m a big fan). Jazz is the one who makes way, for Bunty or Ale. Or both…
They’re just bigger, especially Bunty. That’s it, that’s the reason I’d pick him. Walker is the only absolute must have for me. Maybe CHT.

Just asking. Why are you picking CHT/Lussick, Walker AND Jazz on the same bench?
No right or wrong answers, genuinely just asking.

Last edited:
Metcalfe

Montoya
RTS
Berry
DWZ

TMM
CHT

Harris
Ford
Capewell
AFB
Egan
Barnett

Niukore
Walker
Afoa
Jazz

Not a round 1 team. But with this starting lineup I looked at what would happen if SJ and CNK got injured. I think it would be interesting to see this team go. Pace and skill.

Discussion starter;
I seem to be one of the odd ones out in regards to picking Adam Pompey over Rocco Berry and having Bunty in my line up.

The Pompey v Berry issue is just a preference (experience), I’d be very happy with Rocco getting the right centre position come round one.

For the record, I don’t think Bunty is some “must have” gun that’s just gonna run a muck. But I also genuinely believe that we would have been more competitive against Penrith and Brisbane with him in our side. Haas and Carrigan ain’t blasting their way through him like they did with Jazz and Sironen. They’re not, for all his faults (there are plenty) he can at least defend well.

Although Brisbane were clearly the better team straight from kickoff, it was when our bench rotated on where I feel they really got on top.
A bench of Walker, Jazz, Sironen and Curran didn’t work, and frankly got crushed.
I just question if a bench consisting of Walker, Jazz and CHT would do better that’s all.
For me, despite all his heart (I’m a big fan). Jazz is the one who makes way, for Bunty or Ale. Or both…
They’re just bigger, especially Bunty. That’s it, that’s the reason I’d pick him. Walker is the only absolute must have for me. Maybe CHT.

Just asking. Why are you picking CHT/Lussick, Walker AND Jazz on the same bench?
WWWD?
What would webby do?
He seems to like people who inject leg speed and are fast over 10metres of the bench , guys who will speed the game up like Jazz and Walker. He also seems to like having a back rower like Curran who can play edge or just through the middle near the end of games. Then he usually has a Utility like Sironen or I the panthers case a Tyrone may or a Mitch Kenny on the bench.

Discussion starter;

We do need a good bench

8 AFB
9 Egan
10 Barnett
11 Niuokre
12 Capewell
13 Harris

14 Walker - locked in
15 Jazz - locked in whether you agree or not
16 Ford - he can learn to be an impact player off the bench
17 is the issue

Choices for the 17th spot
a) Lussick - As Egan usually gets injured if he tries to go 80
b) cht - as hooker cover plus general utility
c) Afoa or Ale - offers more middle cover

I would make Jazz be hooker cover and really work with him on it this season. We just need 12 minutes a game from him at hooker.

We are probably short a good bench prop in our 30.

Or maybe you ask Niukore and Capewell to play a full 80. use Walker as second row cover and drop Ford

14 Walker
15 Jazz
16 Afoa
17 CHT

That looks like an NRL standard bench all of a sudden by dropping Ford and getting 80 out of Capewell

Battle of the stand offs

TMM
10 for experience
10 for Defence
0 for Kicking
8 for Distribution
1 for running
29 out of 50

Metcalf
2 for experience
5 for Defence
2 for kicking
3 for Distribution
10 for runnng
22 out of 50

CHT
Is an unknown as to how he will bounce back after a year off so these are guesses
5 for experience - most of it experience losing so not very valuable
9 for Defence
10 for kicking as offers goal kicking as well
5 for distribution - better than Metcalf
1 for running - never had a running game
30 out of 50

WWWD?
What would webby do?
He seems to like people who inject leg speed and are fast over 10metres of the bench , guys who will speed the game up like Jazz and Walker. He also seems to like having a back rower like Curran who can play edge or just through the middle near the end of games. Then he usually has a Utility like Sironen or I the panthers case a Tyrone may or a Mitch Kenny on the bench.
Ok fair enough, but you’d agree that it failed in the end right? Disappointingly, correct? Against the better teams it simply doesn’t work. Which is why against Penrith, Brisbane even Melbourne and Roosters i think that Bunty and/or Ale would make us more competitive, especially defensively.

We do need a good bench

8 AFB
9 Egan
10 Barnett
11 Niuokre
12 Capewell
13 Harris

14 Walker - locked in
15 Jazz - locked in whether you agree or not
16 Ford - he can learn to be an impact player off the bench
17 is the issue

Choices for the 17th spot
a) Lussick - As Egan usually gets injured if he tries to go 80
b) cht - as hooker cover plus general utility
c) Afoa or Ale - offers more middle cover

I would make Jazz be hooker cover and really work with him on it this season. We just need 12 minutes a game from him at hooker.

We are probably short a good bench prop in our 30.

Or maybe you ask Niukore and Capewell to play a full 80. use Walker as second row cover and drop Ford

14 Walker
15 Jazz
16 Afoa
17 CHT

That looks like an NRL standard bench all of a sudden by dropping Ford and getting 80 out of Capewell
I get your thinking bro, round 1 I’d go.

8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Bunty
11. Capewell
12. Ford
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. Barnett
16. Niukore
17. CHT/Jazz (hooker cover? As you stated. I like it given some training)

That’s the best bench in the comp. With a very good starting pack.

As I’ve wrote in other posts Bunty starts and all I want is carries and tackles, that’s it. He can do more than 20 minutes at the start.

A 3 piece combo of Walker, Niukore and Barnett? Fuck me.

I get what you’re saying about Jazz and I actually agree. Unfortunately Egan gets a little banged up when asked to play long minutes.
If we can turn Jazz into a hearty Sironen that would be marvellous. CHT is probably the safer option in regards to skill set and/or needs.

I get your thinking bro, round 1 I’d go.

8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Bunty
11. Capewell
12. Ford
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. Barnett
16. Niukore
17. CHT/Jazz (hooker cover? As you stated. I like it given some training)

That’s the best bench in the comp. With a very good starting pack.

As I’ve wrote in other posts Bunty starts and all I want is carries and tackles, that’s it. He can do more than 20 minutes at the start.

A 3 piece combo of Walker, Niukore and Barnett? Fuck me.

I get what you’re saying about Jazz and I actually agree. Unfortunately Egan gets a little banged up when asked to play long minutes.
If we can turn Jazz into a hearty Sironen that would be marvellous. CHT is probably the safer option in regards to skill set and/or needs.
Ford is a good depth player and although he started last season like a house on fire,, he decended into mediocrity.

He is a neutral player if he plays 80 minutes. We neither gain anything or lose anything by having him on the field. He is best dropped from the 17 all together. Unless you believe in his second year with Webster he can learn to get his penalties under control as last year he was a walking penalty magnet and one of the most penalised players in the NRL.

Ford is a good depth player and although he started last season like a house on fire,, he decended into mediocrity.

He is a neutral player if he plays 80 minutes. We neither gain anything or lose anything by having him on the field. He is best dropped from the 17 all together. Unless you believe in his second year with Webster he can learn to get his penalties under control as last year he was a walking penalty magnet and one of the most penalised players in the NRL.
He seems like one of Webby’s favourites, that’s why I picked him lol.
I see Ford as a competent player but nothing exceptional. I also don’t see his long term future here. He just came for an opportunity, and in fairness he took it with both hands. Either start him or drop him for me

I’d like to see him eventually making way for Sifakula or Laban, I’d be happy for round 1 but it’s not happening. Hopefully by end 2024, realistically 2025 (end).

Last edited:
Question for the fam that have a better knowledge than me

But maybe a key to our improvement of bench rotation is not just about who is ready to come on, but how we adjust and move the players already on the field

Longer minutes across different middle roles allowing a smarter use of rotation ?

He seems like one of Webby’s favourites, that’s why I picked him lol.
I see Ford as a competent player but nothing exceptional. I also don’t see his long term future here. He just came for an opportunity, and in fairness he took it with both hands. Either start him or drop him for me

I’d like to see him eventually making way for Sifakula or Laban, I’d be happy for round 1 but it’s not happening. Hopefully by end 2024, realistically 2025 (end).
Few assumptions there, who's to say he doesn't want to stick around and become a Michael Luck, I don't know the bloke but he could be one of the few sane aussies and never want to leave.

Fullback: CNK (replacement Taine Tuaupiki) then Setu Tu
I am of a mind to keep RTS and DWZ in the three quarter line and use the young guns at fb if CNK is out.

Right Wing: DWZ (Replacement Ed Kosi) third Setu Tu as my third option Right wing, Tu has the speed to replace DWZ but Ed has proved himself as a reliable filler.

Right Center: Rocco Berry (back up Ali Leiatua)

Left Center RTS (back up Ali, I would prefer Ali gets settled into one side at center, but he is good enough to be given either berth as a developmental challenge.

Left Winger Montoya

Stand off:
Really tough split for me between TMM and Metcalf. I would go TMM first to see how he looks after a full preseason (although I read about the moon boot).
I have no complaints if they go with Metcalf.
Third option CHT.

Halfback: Shaun Johnson (back up gets a bit trickier, CHT played like a 7 when he was at 6) But I am guessing I would put TMM at half and Metcalf at six, with CHT being the next halfback option over Metcalf.
I know Metcalf fancies himself as a seven, but we did not see any flavor of it in his Six play.

Props: Gonna bundle left and right prop together because the reality is that we are thin on Fg experience at Prop apart from the no brainer selection of AFB.

The other starter I would roll out is Barnett. I do like the idea of Marata coming off the bench and giving the starters big minutes to suit. Or we go all in on Zyon Maiu’u as the premier bench prop option over Marata, or....we use both these big hard runners off our bench...now I really like that option, but it makes things trickier as far as leaving only two bench spots for a lot of good players to miss out.

Hooker Wade Egan. I would run Walker as the back up hooker and try make Wade an eighty minute dummy half.

Edge backrowers: Kurt Capwell, Jackson Ford.

Lock: Tohu Harris back up Walker if Tohu is injured.

Bench:

Jazz Tevanga (Bald bros come on together to spell Tohu and Capwell/Ford).
Walker
Marata Niukore
Zyon Maiu’u

Last edited:
Fullback - tmm
Centers - cnk & rts
Wingers - Monty & dwzu
Halves - sj & metcalf
Hooker - cht first 20 and cover all Egan after that to close game.

Think this could actually be deadly but won't happen obviously.
I see a few people laughed, probably the same ones that laughed at the posts years ago calling for RTS to be tried at Center.

I can see what you are aiming for here, all out attack with apex Centers that can tackle as well as break the game open on both flanks being fed by one fast half and one tricky old halfback. TMM can and has played Fullback so there is nothing crazy in your picks as far as I am concerned. I like outside the box thinking.

Would like to see it, but yeah as you say it won't happen

Last edited:
Back