General Polynesian Culture at the Warriors

Selector

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2015
An interesting article where Feleti Mateo talks about Polynesian players been taken advantage of in terms of the salary they earn because they are to shy and afraid to speak up especially in New Zealand according to Feleti.

Young Polynesian players at risk of being manipulated: former Warrior
DANIEL LANE AND SARAH HARVEY
Last updated 05:00, July 19 2015
1437192825032.jpg

Former Warriors player Feleti Mateo says shy Polynesian players playing rugby league are at risk of being manipulated and underpaid.

Mateo, 31, who is on a two-year contract with Manly after being offloaded by the Warriors mid-season last year, said the shyness of many Pacific Islanders could lead to them being taken advantage of at the negotiating table.

Mateo said player managers could help young stars but many were not being represented well.

"If they have the right management who are looking out for their best needs [yes], but from what I've seen there's a lot of kids that don't," he said.

"Especially over in New Zealand. A lot seem scared to leave the comfort of their family, which is understandable, and they're probably taking less money to stay at home. That's probably also happening in Sydney and Brisbane.

"I think a lot of kids are believing what they're told ... but I also think kids knowing what they're worth has come a long way, there's some big egos coming through."

Warriors chief executive Jim Doyle, however, said the claims by Mateo were "a load of nonsense".

"We spend a lot of time looking after our kids," he said.

"Certainly from an under-paying point of view that's a load of crap. There is no doubt that when we have got players who do well, there's six or seven players in the NRL who would like to sign them, so if we were under-paying them I'm sure they would go elsewhere.

"If you look at the NRL we benchmark with every one of the 16 clubs, we are not under-paying our players. If we did we wouldn't be able to retain them."

Doyle said Mateo would have to "know a lot of our young players and know exactly what they get paid if he is making those statements".

"I would be very surprised if he does."

Doyle, who took over the reins at the Warriors this year, said the club had just upgraded a number of player's contracts.

"If we were doing what he is suggesting why would we have upgraded players, we would have just kept them on the contract they were on.

"He's obviously just trying to make some sort of statement that is completely false."

But Mateo also gathered from talking to young players during his time at the Warriors they didn't feel as though there was help available.

"I'm not sure if Jerry Seuseu [former Kiwi prop] is still the welfare officer over there but [while I was in Auckland] he was doing a great job, doing his best, but I don't think it's looked at enough.

"When I left [the Warriors] it was very results-based, if you weren't getting the job done it was all that mattered. From being around for as long as I have I feel there's a lot more to getting the best out of a player and that's something I want to help guys get through."

The Tongan international, who has played for Parramatta, London Broncos, the Warriors as well as for the NRL All Stars and City Origin, expressed his views because he believed the next generation of stars shouldn't be penalised because of shyness.

"I think it's important young guys speak out, especially the Polynesian kids because they're usually shy and when they want things done, it's hard for them to communicate," Mateo said.

"When I got older, got more confidence and learned things, I spoke out about things but I found things out the hard way. Now I'm older I think I can offer these kids advice not to do the things I did."

Mateo said Polynesian players often had pressure to become the bread-winner for an extended family, who could take advantage of them.

"Hundred per cent [they can be taken advantage of], mate, I saw that first-hand in New Zealand," he said.

"It's dominated by Polynesian's over there and ... living with families ... there's a high expectation on them to make it. If they get the sniff of any hope all the eggs go into one basket for that one kid and when things don't work out so well as they could it's pretty hard for the kids.

"I saw a lot of that over there."

His advice to young players was to get all they could from the game, including an education from courses available through the NRL.

Mateo scuttled rumours he was headed to French Super League Club the Catalans at the end of the season, saying he would honour the year remaining on his deal with Manly.

"I was in a place where I wasn't wanted in New Zealand so it was best for both parties that I moved on," he said. "Coming here I have coaches who believe in me. I know I definitely have more in me, I've been plagued by injuries this year, more so than any time in my career.

"I've heard a few rumours about my future but as far as I'm concerned I have one more year here and I'm going to honour that. I've loved my time so far and with this squad we've got and I feel like we can do good things."

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/...s-at-risk-of-being-manipulated-former-warrior

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: zegy

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
I just can't imagine any manager being ok with letting a player they represent get ripped off.
It means less money for the manager and ruins their rep with other players they would want to represent.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Interesting about extended families of some players being a factor... That certainly isn't something I'd have to deal with. My extended family can take care of themselves...

As for player s not getting paid enough at the warriors, ask RTS about how he's getting ripped by the club....

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
I'm assuming Feleti is talking about juniors here. If I was say a 18 year old, and offered say 20k an extra to move to Sydney and be away from my close family, I would turn it down too. At the end of the day, there is more to life than money Feleti. Have fun being a lazy arse in France.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
After spending 4 years here Mateo is qualified to have an opinion on our club. As a player his team mates are more likely to talk openly with him then openly complaining to management; that would go through their managers. Think about your work place; it's easier to vent with your work mates who might be venting about the same things.

Now after 4 years he is allowed to have an opinion on our club. But the arguments to that would be:
  • He was well paid over here and if we were close to maxing out our cap would he take a pay cut to help out his hard done team mates who were probably out performing him on the field? probably not.
  • What level are the guys he's talking about? Most likely guys just starting out their careers and on their first contracts.
  • There was talk about him being a bad influence on the younger guys. Was that just on the training paddock. This might be part of it as if he was on the outer chances are he's going to be venting and trying to make others unhappy.
He could be right but he also could have an axe to grind with how he left the Warriors. How we got rid of him with yes you can go no you can't go etc probably wasn't the best. But he probably wanted to stay as he'd have been on more money here than elsewhere.

After reading the post earlier about Doyle helping out players outside of their time with the clubs and taking an interest in their lives you can understand Doyle's reaction. Also goes to show how far we have come since Mateo left.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
When are we playing Manly next and how many Tongan rookies will be fronting up for us?

Oh, that would be next weekend, and we're probably going to have 5 Tongan rookies who should be earning more...

Probably just trying to mess with our mojo to get his team an advantage... Is it a coincidence that Manly have fallen to the bottom of the table at the same time Mateo arrived there?

The thing I believe Mateo needs to learn is that the games about more than money. It's about living the dream.

If Mateo starts thinking he isn't getting paid enough maybe he should cast his mind to his mates who play footy after work and get paid nothing..

But his advice about getting an education for life after footy is all good..

Reactions: Freddie Futler

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
One other sign of culture change: one of the comments about Stacey Jones was that when he played there was amongst the club an attitude of "Stacey, save our arses!" The ball was passed to Stacey, everyone sat back and watched, rather than be a runner, decoy etc.

While obviously your playmaker has to be The Man to an extent, I don't feel it's as pronounced with SJ2 - he does it because he can rather than because there's no-one else. Most of the tries he's scored recently, he could well have offloaded/passed to some other available player.

Reactions: jonno

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Is Mateo moving into player mgmt soon....seems like Manly are keen to move him on! Can't see any other reason he would raise this and specifically bring NZ into this. Either that or he is shit stirring in a hope it will destabilise the club heading into the last part of the season.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Is Mateo moving into player mgmt soon....seems like Manly are keen to move him on! Can't see any other reason he would raise this and specifically bring NZ into this. Either that or he is shit stirring in a hope it will destabilise the club heading into the last part of the season.
Our playing squad looked pretty unstable vs the Roosters... Well played Mateo?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Sorry. Had to move these posts from the Club Culture Part 3 - Cappys Reign thread. Wrong culture and dont want that thread going off topic.

Plenty to talk about on this thread with the Warriors and NZ Rugby League being predominately Pacific Islanders (that includes my Maori brothers). Been suggested before that the team relies too heavily on Polys and that is in fact one of the teams main reasons for continually failing.

Anyway, shoot away if it interests you...

Reactions: jonno

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Interesting thread title considering the article...

But the title of Mateos article should really read "Young Gullible Players at Risk of Being Manipulated: Former Warrior".

Insinuating that the Warriors management are taking advantage of Polynesian players is a massive insult...

Some evidence would be nice...

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Feel free to suggest one. Just thought Id broaden it to encompass all discussions along this line now and into the future...
All good.

But I have to admit I don't understand how soft negotiation tactics has anything to do with Polynesian culture? Unless it's the Polynesian way to accept a bad deal?

Or do you guys work on an honor system like the Japanese or something?

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
It just seems like an odd article altogether. You could apply his argument to many young players, regardless of their background. I bet the Broncos pay Dale Copley less than he'd make elsewhere because his family is in Brisbane and he's studying law at a Brisbane university.

There are players staying at their clubs for less money all over the league, whether it be family or just preferring a city over another, or because they want to play for a particular club.

Anyway, bit of a nothing statement that's unlikely to change anything.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
"When I left [the Warriors] it was very results-based, if you weren't getting the job done it was all that mattered.
Geez Feleti....a professional sporting organisation must be a total shambles to have this as an expectation.....totally unfair and unrealistic.....

Players should just be able to cruise along and only put in or give a damn when the planets align and keep soaking up a large chunk of that salary cap that limits the amount that those "kids" playing alongside you can get......wait a minute that sounds awfully like a player we used to have....cant remember who it was now......

Last edited:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
It just seems like an odd article altogether. You could apply his argument to many young players, regardless of their background. I bet the Broncos pay Dale Copley less than he'd make elsewhere because his family is in Brisbane and he's studying law at a Brisbane university.

There are players staying at their clubs for less money all over the league, whether it be family or just preferring a city over another, or because they want to play for a particular club.

Anyway, bit of a nothing statement that's unlikely to change anything.
You'd imagine there would be more pressure on young guns at places like the Broncos, Roosters or Melbourne to take unders. In fact there would be pressure on everyone including the seniors to do so and keep the team together. Worked well at Manly until DCE went rogue. Imagine how much pressure he would have under from all quarters to keep the status quo.

Seems strange for Feleti Mateo to even talk about this. Have a feeling he was asked a very leading question and the authors ran with it. With 2 authors they may have even got the quotes at separate times.

Anyway kind of ironic that this thread would need to be created because of a Feleti Mateo article when he dominated the last club culture thread...

Reactions: ToiletDuck

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
I would suspect most people would take slightly less to stay closer to family and friends, doesn't mean it's Polynesians getting taken advantage of.
Yes they may be getting paid less than they could get elsewhere to stay in NZ but you often see players turning down big pay days (often with us :( ) to stay in Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne etc

Bit of sour grapes coming from Mateo?

Reactions: Defence

Last Game

31 Jul

26 - 20
6.7 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings