General Player Playoffs

Which player would you recruit for our 2020 Warriors team to play when the competition restarts?

• Cameron Smith

• Cooper Cronk

• Andrew Johns

• Jonathan thurston

Results are only viewable after voting.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
This is a little lockdown fun. Every day or 2 I will post 2 players from different eras and we will compare them and debate their respective strengths.

There is no right or wrong comparing different eras but hopefully we get some debate and learn a little about some players.

So first up we are comparing 2 of the Warriors and Kiwis best fullbacks.

Mathew Ridge was a competitor. Tough defender who was one of the best kickers in the comp. Played with intensity and a never give up attitude. Love him or hate him his talent was unquestionable.

RTS... no introduction needed. Commitment and contribution is unquestionable. Still only 26 and yet to reach his prime.

So come on armchair selectors... who would you select for your dream team and why?

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
For me I’m choosing Ridge.

Premiership winner with Manly
Exceptional 80.22% NRL kick rate
Captain of the Warriors
25 tests for the kiwis

RTS will probably surpass him but he’s not there yet.

edit: on reflection RTS will inspire the team to victory, Ridge could single handedly win the game - come up with the clutch play.

Last edited:

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 12, 2017
Really close battle. I went with Ridge too. I feel Ridge is the more well-rounded player.

Both are good leaders. RTS has more speed, acceleration and better footwork.
Ridge was a great defender and goal kicker with good positional play. He was a tough player.

As wizards rage said RTS will probably surpass Ridge later in his career.
If personality affected the decision RTS would win by a country mile.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
For me I’m choosing Ridge.

Premiership winner with Manly
Exceptional 80.22% NRL kick rate
Captain of the Warriors
25 tests for the kiwis

RTS will probably surpass him but he’s not there yet.

edit: on reflection RTS will inspire the team to victory, Ridge could single handedly win the game - come up with the clutch play.
When is RTS going to inspire us to Victory ?
Just give me a heads when ...As I don't want to miss that game.
Hopefully season .
The only one man band IV seen with my own eyes
Was Jarrod Hayne an Moimoi was the unsung hero that year
So it was a team effort.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
The syle of fullback Ridge was looked to go out of fashion as soon as he retired. Manly got Brett Stewart a fast player, good on kick returns and Ridge was pretty much replaced pretty quickly. Funny how things go round in cycles as Ridge would probably suit the modern fullback play chiming into the line as an extra man.

Used to love watching him play with his competitiveness. The try he setup in the 96 Grand Final with the short kick off sums him up perfectly.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Rts
Played more games- scored more tries. Won a premiership to go with his Dally m and golden boot.... and he still gives 110% every week even in this shit team- ridgey turned it up in the same situation.

Plus I picked him in my team on that other thread 😝

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Ridgey had that great competitive (borderline arrogant) attitude and was courageous in defence as anyone going (can remember one of his early games after he switched where he lined up former Bronco's beast of a winger Brett Plowman and almost knocked himself out leveling him out before the tryline...it was apparent early on this guy had guts). Great goalkicker as well (altho may never have come to pass if he had stayed in rugby given he was playing 2nd fiddle to Grant Fox)...made it en vogue to start signing union goal kickers.

For mine tho given the huge improvement in his last line defence over the last couple of seasons which now makes him the better all round player, i went with Roger. So consistent and his efforts are always 100%. The way he can pull out that quick step at near top speed always amazes me. Does bug me tho at the Warriors that he's reduced to largely a hit-up merchant and i would love to see him sniffing around the ruck all the time like Tedesco does, but i put that down to the team he's in and the coaching.

RTS for me.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Ones a cock,ones a good guy.
One was a great defender ones a great attacker (although blunted by his team strategy).
One is a captainwho tries to will his team along, the other set high standards and let his team know in no uncertain terms if they didnt achieve them.
One could goal kick and that made a difference in a lot of games, wouldnt help us right now because we cant score but one day who knows...

Roger has more skill and natural ablity but, it hurts to admit it, Ridge was better because he was a competitior who made his team better.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
As mentioned, both are so good and yet so different.

I’d probably go for RTS. If he was at the Roosters playing full back he’d be a legend - they would have been no need to but James Tedesco. . Ridgey was fortunate that he played in a good team, Manly.

BTW ... why does his ex Wife, Sally still keep the Ridge name?

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Rts
Played more games- scored more tries. Won a premiership to go with his Dally m and golden boot.... and he still gives 110% every week even in this shit team- ridgey turned it up in the same situation.

Plus I picked him in my team on that other thread 😝
your spot on RTS every day of the week. Ridgy was good in a good team like Manly. RTS outstanding in a shit team like the Warriors

• Love
Reactions: Defence

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Round 2 and we are comparing 4 dominant halves from eras.

Gary Freeman (1983/96) - Whizz’s strengths would include being a tough competitor and leadership in captaining NZ. 1992 Dally M medalist!

Stacey Jones (1995/09) - the little generals strengths would include great organisational skills and kicking game. Golden boot winner 2002.

Benji Marshall (2003/...) - creative genius earlier in his career who has evolved to a competent organiser later. 2012 golden boot winner

Shaun Johnson (2011/...) - strengths include his running game and solid defence. 2014 golden boot winner!

So come on armchair selectors... who would you select for your dream team and why?

Last edited:

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Clash of styles - what’s more valuable an organiser; individual brilliance or a competitor?

For me I’m going for Freeman. I know Jones is the obvious choice but Freeman was one of my role models as a youngster. Loved it how he wouldn’t pull up his socks - hit a note with the rebel in me 😂

Probably the most competitive and driven of the 4 although that’s probably the era which was less professional.

Arguably the highest decorated with long term kiwis captaincy and Dally M player of the year which pushes him just above Jones in my opinion. Benji and Johnson are just different individualistic style of players that to me don’t always translate to team success

Last edited:
Reactions: Tragic and Lenrat

Upcoming Match

Melbourne Storm AAMI Park, Melbourne

Last Game

18 Apr

20 - 14
7.1 Total Avg Rating
4.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

1. 4.8