General Mt Smart Stadium

With all the threats from the NRL about Mt Smart over the years it is history making that a final will return to our home ground.

I would love to know if they cut us a break or there was no other option with Eden Park as far as the Warriors making a stand goes.
A bloody good question, that I would like to know the answer to. Maybe Cameron George did something useful for a change and twisted their arm..

Go Media Stadium sold out for sixth time in 2023​

AuthorRichard Becht & photosport.nz
Go Media Stadium’s sold-out sign has gone up for the sixth time in 10 games for the One New Zealand Warriors’ NRL semi-final against the Newcastle Knights on Saturday.

More than 22,000 tickets were sold in presale windows starting at midday on Monday with the remaining seats gone in a matter of minutes yesterday ahead of the club’s first home final since 2008.

“We’ve all waited so long to have a home final here at Go Media Stadium,” said One New Zealand Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“The reaction from members and fans has been sensational all season and now they’ve responded by selling out this game in less than 24 hours. It’s brilliant.

“As a club we’re so proud seeing the support from the public.

“We couldn’t be happier for our fans seeing their team playing a final at home. They really deserve this after what they endured while the team was away from home the past three years.”

The last home match of the regular season against St George Illawarra on August 25 was sold out almost a week before kick-off. A season-best crowd of 25,095 lifted the total attendance for the club’s nine regular season games at Go Media Stadium to 201,314 (an average crowd of 22,368 a game).

With an attendance of 35,438 at their contest against the Dolphins at Suncorp Stadium in round 27, the One New Zealand Warriors created a first in the club’s 29-season history by breaking through the 500,000 barrier for combined home and away crowds in a regular NRL season.

They finished with an aggregate of 506,439 from 24 matches, an average crowd of 21,101.

The One New Zealand Warriors have also achieved their highest total attendance for regular season away games in their history, totalling 234,219 (19,518 a game).

I wonder if the sell out will actually be a true sell out with no empty seats?
This year we’ve seen sell out grounds with heaps of empty seats.
Regardless I’m looking forward to it , even if a little away from our usual seats

I wonder if the sell out will actually be a true sell out with no empty seats?
This year we’ve seen sell out grounds with heaps of empty seats.
Regardless I’m looking forward to it , even if a little away from our usual seats
Lots of those will be members that don't attend that game, unused sponsors tickets, and people who can't be bothered going for whatever reason. There's also all the people who watch from the railings.

Because everyone had to specifically buy a ticket for this game - and because they went so fast - I think safe to say there won't be many empty seats.

a first in the club’s 29-season history by breaking through the 500,000 barrier for combined home and away crowds in a regular NRL season.

They finished with an aggregate of 506,439 from 24 matches, an average crowd of 21,101.
The club should be proud of this. Half a million people viewing our games!

Indicates a strong club which will transfer into strong financials which will support the team to perform on the field.

An upwards spiral is always better than a downwards one!

They should get Alien Weaponry to play at half time, like they did with Zed round one at Wellington this year (massive throwback seeing those guys in person by the way, felt like I was living in Palmy in 2001 again 😅 ).

Hell get AW to actually play the team out live in the opening round next year if it's a home game!

A potential Stadium conundrum is in the horizon it seems.
Australia has been given 25 days to submit interest in hosting the 2034 Football World Cup which will require assistance from Ocieana and Asian confederations. They need 14 quality stadiums.
Is this the window NZ finally acknowledge the need for a new stadium in Auckland or do the Crusties at Eden Park smell an opportunity for a stay of execution and out their hand out for more money to re-revamp Eden Park?

The Auckland A-League team is going to be officially announced today at a press conference at Mt Smart Stadium.
Likely a confirmation that they will play their home games at Mt Smart.

Hopefully it means positive things with another (rich) owner putting money into the stadium.
Or, if the murmurings about them wanting a boutique Waterfront Stadium are true, perhaps the Warriors will get on board and make it a joint-venture.

Having another tenant sharing the ground with us should help push our case for upgrades.

I can't recall if Moana Pasifika ended up confirming if they were moving to another venue or not. But having the ground used more puts us in a better position compared to a few years ago when the plan was to move the Warriors as they are the only ones using Mt Smart.

If we keep selling it out, that would also help.

The Auckland A-League team is going to be officially announced today at a press conference at Mt Smart Stadium.
Likely a confirmation that they will play their home games at Mt Smart.

Hopefully it means positive things with another (rich) owner putting money into the stadium.
Or, if the murmurings about them wanting a boutique Waterfront Stadium are true, perhaps the Warriors will get on board and make it a joint-venture.
I mean that would be a beautiful thing - a fancy new stadium in a premium site which hosted league and association and not union... love it

Having another tenant sharing the ground with us should help push our case for upgrades.

I can't recall if Moana Pasifika ended up confirming if they were moving to another venue or not. But having the ground used more puts us in a better position compared to a few years ago when the plan was to move the Warriors as they are the only ones using Mt Smart.

If we keep selling it out, that would also help.
I did think Moana Pacifica were not returning to Mt Smart / possibly moving to play at the Stadium Counties Manukau use - or I wonder if they were pushed out with the new A League side pending - a call was made that having The Warriors team through winter across a number of grades and Football through summer was enough to ensure the field wasn’t damaged through over use?

I did think Moana Pacifica were not returning to Mt Smart / possibly moving to play at the Stadium Counties Manukau use - or I wonder if they were pushed out with the new A League side pending - a call was made that having The Warriors team through winter across a number of grades and Football through summer was enough to ensure the field wasn’t damaged through over use?
“Moana Pasifika are gearing up to host their games across the Pacific and in the regions of New Zealand. Look out for the upcoming announcements on these locations.”

I think their crowd numbers at Mt Smart probably plays a big part. I think they only get about 3k there

I mean that would be a beautiful thing - a fancy new stadium in a premium site which hosted league and association and not union... love it
I wonder how much of our fan base - the genuine ones, who show up when we're a bit shit - live near the central city or are willing to travel there at 8pm on a Friday night. Whenever the 'Warriors to Waterfront' is mooted (usually by corporate men with grand designs and zero sporting passion) I keep thinking about the way the equivalent flash harries in fancy suits marketed the Stadium of Echoes up at North Harbour back in 1995. The population up that way exploded as promised; meanwhile attendances started modestly and declined steadily.

I wonder how much of our fan base - the genuine ones, who show up when we're a bit shit - live near the central city or are willing to travel there at 8pm on a Friday night. Whenever the 'Warriors to Waterfront' is mooted (usually by corporate men with grand designs and zero sporting passion) I keep thinking about the way the equivalent flash harries in fancy suits marketed the Stadium of Echoes up at North Harbour back in 1995. The population up that way exploded as promised; meanwhile attendances started modestly and declined steadily.
Fair enough comment - I'm not a usual backer of the waterfront stadium idea at all - I think there can be much better uses for that land (including maintaining a port) - it's just the spite in teh idea that union may not be invited that set me off

Fair enough comment - I'm not a usual backer of the waterfront stadium idea at all - I think there can be much better uses for that land (including maintaining a port) - it's just the spite in teh idea that union may not be invited that set me off
also I live near the central city and definitely would show up when we're losing

Back