General Pick Your Team Rnd 10 - Eels vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't go raising your knee into tackles. Intent is irrelevant. It's a clear cut rule. Don't raise your knee.
Konnie should be suspended. I don't want him to be but he was fucking stupid to raise his knee and has to take the punishment.
Hopefully Tomkins at 1.
Tui on Manus wing.
Allwood in centre.
Havilli for Friend.
Rapira for Dom.
Fusitua needs to learn to tackle and communicate.

Danpatmac

What will count heavily against Konrad Hurrell is the resulting injury. Accident or not. Just hope they dont throw the book at him...

i also feel that the ridiculous way Tupou went into the tackle with his head it absolutely the wrong place should count in his favour... if there is any justice.

ToiletDuck

Administrator
The injury is what's going to get him. If it'd been a concussion or a glancing blow then he'd be okay I think. Just watched it a few times, he definitely changes the way he's running just slightly as he braces for impact, that leg doesn't come down, instead he raises his knee in the direction of Tupou as he comes in for the tackle. Certainly some fault lies with Tupou too, but yeah, can't see Konnie getting off this one.

Reactions: fizurg

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
https://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/judiciary/tabid/10435/default.aspx

bottom of that page is the judiciary charges and weightings, I don’t believe konrad has much of a prior record or carry over points?

Don’t really know what raising a knee comes under, but dangerous contact would be my guess, so a grade 3 charge dangerous contact charge is 400 points, less 100 (25%) for an early guilty plea, is 3 weeks holiday.

Seeing as Tupou came from the side, and he’s motoring along so not a lot of time to think about it, be a bit hard to charge him with a grade 4 or grade 5.

He gets lucky and a grade 2 charge, might only miss a week depending if he has any carry overs.

He gets unlucky and a grade 4 charge that’s 4 weeks (if pleads guilty, 5 weeks if he challenges and loses)

Grade 3 and 3 weeks off, that’s probably fair. 1 or 2 weeks off would be seen as too light.

With the bye coming up, konrad can have his own mini preseason conditioning programme all over again. Should be fizzing by rd 14 or whenever he comes back

Is it illegal for a player to lift their knee if being tackled from behind?

The guy got his head in completely the wrong position for that tackle. If he came in from the side and connected with an outstretched knee then his head is mile away from where it should be if he want's to make a safe grab on a player. It's almost like he was trying to dive in front of Konrad... Even if Konrad doesn't lift the knee it's still a dangerous position for the head of the tackler.

There's no way the poor guys head should have been anywhere near Konrad's knee..
0.PNG

If Konrad was running straight at a front on tackler then I'd agree with a suspension, but side on tackle, no way did Konrad mean to contact the head with his Knee.
1.PNG

It almost looks like Konrad didn't want to stand on the poor guys foot and was trying to jump over it. Isn't it illegal to use your legs in a tackle as well?

By that logic, it shouldn't have been a penalty then.

I don't know the rules well enough, but I think the banhammer will be swung

Is Banhammer a super unique?

But yes... Hurrell raises his knee too high, too often, too directed... injury and suspension was inevitable. Laumape, Kata also potential future candidates. It's like the three practice high-speed marching together.

Reactions: ryno
I'm sure half the guys getting charged with lifting don't intend to drop the ball carrier on his head or go past horizontal. But they do. You can't raise your knee in a tackle. Everyone knows that.
Konnies situation is not even debatable. He raised his knee in the tackle. That's plain wrong. Tupou is in a bad position with the wrong technique but it doesn't make Konnies raised knee right.
Raising your knee is foul play. Bigger issue is he has now earnt a reputation and he'll be watched like a hawk when he does play.

I'm sure half the guys getting charged with lifting don't intend to drop the ball carrier on his head or go past horizontal. But they do. You can't raise your knee in a tackle. Everyone knows that.
Konnies situation is not even debatable. He raised his knee in the tackle. That's plain wrong. Tupou is in a bad position with the wrong technique but it doesn't make Konnies raised knee right.
Raising your knee is foul play. Bigger issue is he has now earnt a reputation and he'll be watched like a hawk when he does play.

Dead right.
...and he does it all the fuckin time. So he's going to be losing one of his main tackle-busting weapons; or become a suspension magnet. Gah!

Tupou's poor tackle technique means nothing. If the knee hit ribs and busted them, same situation. Knee is clearly raised in the direction of the tackler, and not in the manner of a natural stride. I'd be pissed off it someone did that to me. Deserves whatever he gets really.

Reactions: fizurg

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Eels really need a win this week, if they have any sense they’ll just spread the ball at every opportunity through Sandow to Radradra’s side, it’ll be a minor miracle if our rookie backs hold up in defence.

We looked sound in defence on the weekend, cos the sharks didn’t have the creativity or skill to get the ball wide without throwing it over the wingers head an inch from the sideline.

1. Lolohea
2. Wright
3. Peyroux
4. Kata
5. Fusitua

Fusitua is a winger, they might play him at centre in the lower grades to give him more responsibility, but he’s a wing in first grade.
Bring Rapira onto the bench, Mannering can move to an edge in case of injury, play 5 props. Just cycle them on and off, they haven’t decreased the interchange yet.

That’s probably enough changes without dropping Friend, though you’d really struggle to find a worse stint at dummy half than what Nathan produced. Don’t know if it helps Havili to play 10 minutes a game in the top grade.

It works in our favour that for some reason the NRL ban players by weeks not games. Fools!

Agree with 3 Peyroux and 5 Fusitua if Tomkins still isn't ready.

Word from Eels fans is that Sandow will likely be playing NSW Cup this weekend after taking a car out for a test drive, crashing it and then abandoning it.

They're not very optimistic about his potential replacements, Luke Kelly or Beau Henry either, though the pessimist in me thinks these sorts of things always backfire against the warriors with the replacement having a big game.

• Haha
Reactions: Jamie
Has the team been named yet?
From the nrl Live Blog feed as teams are announced, the Warriors was released only a minute ago.

1 Tuimoala Lolohea, 2 Jonathan Wright, 3 Dominique Peyroux, 4 Solomone Kata, 5 Manu Vatuvei, 6 Chad Townsend, 7 Shaun Johnson, 8 Jacob Lillyman, 9 Thomas Leuluai, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Bodene Thompson, 12 Ryan Hoffman, 13 Simon Mannering (C) Interchange: 14 Nathan Friend, 15 Sione Lousi, 16 Sam Lisone, 17 Albert Vete, 18 Raymond Faitala-Mariner

Dom at three and Manu named for this weekend......

and still no Pomkins :(

Eels lineup is:
1 Robinson Crusoe
2 Radradra
3 Hopofarte
4 Takairangi
5 Morgan
6 Norman
7 Kelly
8 Wicks
9 RePeats
10 Mannahs