Pick Your Team Pick Your Team 2021 Rnd 2 - Warriors vs Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
In other years I would be gutted seeing one of our high profile signings injured for months. This time around I feel at ease that whoever comes in for the injured player will do the job. So weather it’s Perham or Pompey I’m sure they will be decent.
Agreed, didn't think i'd ever be onboard with Pompey but he developed well last year and showed he can definitely handle the NRL. Would like to see Hayze for the mere fact we really need an injection of speed, and his link game from centre last year was ace.

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
Who understands the HIA changes in 2021 if there is any? Was told that if you fail during the game it is now very hard to back up the following week but haven't checked this out myself??? As a parent, I'm 100% about it if it is the case no matter how tough it may make team selection some weeks and as long as it is enforced for every team if it even is the case.

As an aside, the way Brown talked last week (and this is only my take on it) Evans may still be a week or so away maybe?

Has there been any update on Muchie? Wasn't his issue a pec strain and not the head knock from Titans trial?
This answers what I had been told about HIA's and it's not good for this week but is what the games needs.
If it's reliable it puts good news on the availability of Jack Murchie and Kane Evans
From Fox Sports Australia

Team Tips: Following an impressive win over the Titans, the Warriors are unfortunately set for a reshuffle with centre Euan Aitken will be out for three to four months after injuring his ankle. It’s a huge blow for the Warriors following the gun centre’s 132-metre and 16 tackle effort last Saturday. Brown said a “very capable replacement” in Adam Pompey would come into the left centre. Brown could also be without Bayley Sironen — who starred in his club debut last weekend — and Wayde Egan due to the pair failing their HIA’s. The NRL changed its concussion protocols heading into this season which now require a player to seek an exemption from an independent neurologist to play within 11 days of suffering the concussion. Jack Murchie is due back this week from a pectoral injury and could slot straight in for Sironen, while utility forward Jazz Tevaga will likely line up at No.9, opening up a spot on the bench. Kane Evans is expected to be fit for Round 2 so Brown could opt for a big bopper bench, or alternatively bring in Josh Curran. Halfback Chanel Harris-Tavita has been cleared to play after escaping a ban over a trip.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
This answers what I had been told about HIA's and it's not good for this week but is what the games needs.
If it's reliable it puts good news on the availability of Jack Murchie and Kane Evans
From Fox Sports Australia

Team Tips: Following an impressive win over the Titans, the Warriors are unfortunately set for a reshuffle with centre Euan Aitkenwill be out for three to four months after injuring his ankle. It’s a huge blow for the Warriors following the gun centre’s 132-metre and 16 tackle effort last Saturday. Brown said a “very capable replacement” in Adam Pompey would come into the left centre. Brown could also be without Bayley Sironen — who starred in his club debut last weekend — and Wayde Egan due to the pair failing their HIA’s. The NRL changed its concussion protocols heading into this season which now require a player to seek an exemption from an independent neurologist to play within 11 days of suffering the concussion. Jack Murchie is due back this week from a pectoral injury and could slot straight in for Sironen, while utility forward Jazz Tevaga will likely line up at No.9, opening up a spot on the bench. Kane Evans is expected to be fit for Round 2 so Brown could opt for a big bopper bench, or alternatively bring in Josh Curran. Halfback Chanel Harris-Tavita has been cleared to play after escaping a ban over a trip.
Good luck getting an appointment with a Neurologist at short notice - expecting Egan and Sirronen won’t be named in the 21 this week.

Begs the question, who covers Jazz at Hooker? could see one of SOS/Turner/Hayze to be named on the bench this week.

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Good luck getting an appointment with a Neurologist at short notice - expecting Egan and Sirronen won’t be named in the 21 this week.

Begs the question, who covers Jazz at Hooker? could see one of SOS/Turner/Hayze to be named on the bench this week.

You do know these guys don't work at bunnings? I'm sure they'll find someone if they need to.

Reactions: J_P and Sammyw11

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
You do know these guys don't work at bunnings? I'm sure they'll find someone if they need to.
Obviously doesn’t matter anyway, clearly you can play the following week as long as you get through the protocols.

Reactions: Aman

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

Pompey comes in for Aitken​

Vodafone Warriors head coach Nathan Brown has brought Adam Pompey into the centres to replace the injured Euan Aitken for Friday night’s second-round NRL encounter with the Newcastle Knights at Central Coast Stadium in Gosford (6.00pm kick-off local time; 8.00pm NZT).

The 22-year-old Pompey’s inclusion is the only change to the line-up used in last Saturday’s season-opening 19-6 home win over Gold Coast.

After impressing in 13 outings last season, Pompey will team up on the left edge inside experienced winger Ken Maumalo.

Aitken is set to have surgery after a high ankle sprain in his left leg during his debut for the club. It’s expected he will be side-lined for 8-10 weeks.

“It’s disappointing for Euan and for us as a team but we’ve got a very capable replacement in Adam,” said Brown

“He was outstanding at the back end of last season and he has trialled very well for us against the Titans and Redcliffe in the lead-up to this season.”

Pompey split his appearances between the centres and the wing last year. In taking his career tally to 18 games, he scored five tries and averaged 108 metres a match. He’s also a goal-kicking option.

1615869724120.png

He was named in jersey #18 in the extended squad last week; that spot has been filled by new signing Marcelo Montoya.

There’s one other change in the 21-man squad which sees second rower Jack Murchie named in jersey #22 replacing Josh Curran.

Hooker Wayde Egan and second rower Bayley Sironen have been named but face further tests under the head injury protocols.

New recruit Addin Fonua-Blake, who topped 200 metres in his club debut, will play his 99th career match while Maumalo will move to 97 appearances and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will edge his tally for the club to 96.

Friday night’s second consecutive home game in Gosford will provide a stern test for the Vodafone Warriors who face a buoyant Newcastle side coming off a 32-16 round one success against Canterbury Bankstown.

They also impressed up front with their big pack led by Daniel Saifiti, David Klemmer, new acquisition Tyson Frizzell and Mitch Barnett. They all made more than 170 metres each.

Last week’s win was just the 10th time in 27 attempts that the Vodafone Warriors have opened a season with a victory. They have won the first two games of a season only three times.

In 43 contests between the two sides, the Vodafone Warriors have a 22-20 edge with one match drawn. In their most recent meeting the Vodafone Warriors had their best win on the season, beating the Knights 36-6 in Tamworth last August.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS​

6.00pm, Friday, March 19, 2021

Central Coast Stadium, Gosford

Referee: Grant Atkins

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 ROGER TUIVASA-SHECK (c)

2 DAVID Fusitua

3 ADAM POMPEY

4 PETA HIKU

5 KEN MAUMALO

6 KODI NIKORIMA

7 CHANEL HARRIS-TAVITA