Status
Not open for further replies.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I understand what you're saying, and i'm not knocking Walsh in the slightest. What i'm trying to say is he had nothing to do with how those sets were directed in both the games.

The work an organising half does for the most part goes unnoticed, if they are playing on the ball as Brown wants his 7 to. That's why a lot of the work Kodi vs Cows, and Chanel Harris-Tavita vs Manly did goes unnoticed.

When the player is tackled from a turnover, an on the ball 7's job is to drive the set and direct play to get to a certain point on the field for a kick most of the time. The 6 takes a backward seat and doesn't tend to play a big part in the set, unless he sees something and overcalls the 7.

Walsh is not playing as an organising half. He is getting the ball on the 5th usually to kick, or run if he sees something. Or he's getting the ball as 2nd reciever in the red zone off the 7.

Could he play that role? Sure but it would be a big ask for a rookie, and he's better off playing the role he did in the Cows game currently. It allows him to play his natural game better.

Long story short, he's not organising shit currently and he doesn't need to it's not his job.
Agreed and I did not think you were having a go at Walsh.

So we have this dilemma where the rookie is a better Seven and Six than the incumbents in terms of his natural skill set and the reality that he would chew both rolls up inside of a season flat.

Kodi and Channel are both Six’s playing seven.

Not saying Chanel Harris-Tavita experiment is a complete fail at seven yet, but that's his and Kodis natural skill sets, they are stand offs. The Warriors are no stranger to playing two sixs, that is the reality of our very small local and offshore chances of signing halves that might stay.

I am glad it is not my problem.

While I like Walsh playing second receiver for the same reasons, because he is creative....you cannot get away from the issue at Seven without at least pausing to think long term, what is best for this team.

I guess we have this year to find out. Maybe POS will find another Aussie kid, like the boy from the Eels that turned us down....Interesting times...not this year anyway, they are all in on Chanel Harris-Tavita.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Agreed and I did not think you were having a go at Walsh.

So we have this dilemma where the rookie is a better Seven and Six than the incumbents in terms of his natural skill set and the reality that he would chew both rolls up inside of a season flat.

Kodi and Channel are both Six’s playing seven.

Not saying Chanel Harris-Tavita experiment is a complete fail at seven yet, but that's his and Kodis natural skill sets, they are stand offs. The Warriors are no stranger to playing two sixs, that is the reality of our very small local and offshore chances of signing halves that might stay.

I am glad it is not my problem.

While I like Walsh playing second receiver for the same reasons, because he is creative....you cannot get away from the issue at Seven without at least pausing to think long term, what is best for this team.

I guess we have this year to find out. Maybe POS will find another Aussie kid, like the boy from the Eels that turned us down....Interesting times...not this year anyway, they are all in on Chanel Harris-Tavita.
Agreed, he could be anything and given his potential ceiling it gives us the wiggle room to put him in a few different rolls long term. He may start out as something, and mould into something different down the track should we acquire a different player.

I can see Chanel Harris-Tavita's current flaws, but I can also see his strengths. He has great temperment, solid defence, decent ball playing skills. His main work on is his mid/long kicking game, which is actually fairly accurate it just needs to add a bit of extra height behind it. Which i'm sure he's working over time at currently.

Walsh is not something that comes along very often, and certainly not to our club. So I don't measure up Chanel Harris-Tavita next to him, as they bring different attributes to the table.

I'm hoping Chanel Harris-Tavita can stay fit for the rest of the season, so he can string a decent set of games together and hopefully grow into the role with a bit of stability.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
I get you there, but the flip side of that thinking is if we defended better we could have won by 20.

I think once everybody is healthy and the team is selected properly, we will have a decent defense and a very potent attack.
True. Just think it's getting harder to defend with continuous 6 agains and momentum on. Fatigue is a bigger factor now.

Reactions: Louim8

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
I understand what you're saying, and i'm not knocking Walsh in the slightest. What i'm trying to say is he had nothing to do with how those sets were directed in both the games.

The work an organising half does for the most part goes unnoticed, if they are playing on the ball as Brown wants his 7 to. That's why a lot of the work Kodi vs Cows, and Chanel Harris-Tavita vs Manly did goes unnoticed.

When the player is tackled from a turnover, an on the ball 7's job is to drive the set and direct play to get to a certain point on the field for a kick most of the time. The 6 takes a backward seat and doesn't tend to play a big part in the set, unless he sees something and overcalls the 7.

Walsh is not playing as an organising half. He is getting the ball on the 5th usually to kick, or run if he sees something. Or he's getting the ball as 2nd reciever in the red zone off the 7.

Could he play that role? Sure but it would be a big ask for a rookie, and he's better off playing the role he did in the Cows game currently. It allows him to play his natural game better.

Long story short, he's not organising shit currently and he doesn't need to it's not his job.
I prefer Walsh at 1st receiver and Kodi at 2nd.
Walsh is guaranteed to draw extra defenders, and allows Kodi extra room to run or pass to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck on the edge. It's a dangerous combination with a focus on speed

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I prefer Walsh at 1st receiver and Kodi at 2nd.
Walsh is guaranteed to draw extra defenders, and allows Kodi extra room to run or pass to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck on the edge. It's a dangerous combination with a focus on speed

I like it too.

And I will flip flop back and forward depending on what other players are doing and remain somewhat flexible on this Walsh question.

What I do not want to see is what happened with Sam Tomkins.

He was clearly the Warriors best half, he had a hell of a pass on him and a mean draw and pass.

But he had major issues which a Warriors team could not counter with good up front defence.

Walsh is the same player right now.

He has magic hands, a league mind, time and space, a step and speed, and he knows how to slip over. But Walsh could be more than Sam Tomkins if we get it right.

The temptation, is that the more Walsh touches the ball, the better we are, that is just the reality of having a superstar attacking point guard in a a basketball team, and it applies here.

That matrix with Kodi at second was perfect.

So we know that works.

I am guessing here, that has been logged by Brown and he is moving the boy around a little to weigh his other options.

Paulo24

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 3, 2014
I like it too.

And I will flip flop back and forward depending on what other players are doing and remain somewhat flexible on this Walsh question.

What I do not want to see is what happened with Sam Tomkins.

He was clearly the Warriors best half, he had a hell of a pass on him and a mean draw and pass.

But he had major issues which a Warriors team could not counter with good up front defence.

Walsh is the same player right now.

He has magic hands, a league mind, time and space, a step and speed, and he knows how to slip over. But Walsh could be more than Sam Tomkins if we get it right.

The temptation, is that the more Walsh touches the ball, the better we are, that is just the reality of having a superstar attacking point guard in a a basketball team, and it applies here.

That matrix with Kodi at second was perfect.

So we know that works.

I am guessing here, that has been logged by Brown and he is moving the boy around a little to weigh his other options.
I prefer Walsh wherever he uses his strengths, sometimes it seems to be second receiver and sometimes first. Wherever he can attack those edges with the opportunity of throwing that cut Out ball and using his pace to get on the outside of his man to cause that doubt.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I prefer Walsh wherever he uses his strengths, sometimes it seems to be second receiver and sometimes first. Wherever he can attack those edges with the opportunity of throwing that cut Out ball and using his pace to get on the outside of his man to cause that doubt.
And I guess this is why Brown has told him, just play, do your thing, take the options yourself.

tajhay tajhay posted a comment about how Walsh watches all the NRL games and tries to learn from them.

Clearly then, he watches his own play and reviews, given that he has been granted VIP status to do whatever the hell he likes....the future is very exciting.

An Athlete that studies the game, and has rare gifts to deliver on what they learn, can do anything, they can reinvent the way the game is played.

The next evolution for Walsh is when he is confident enough to tell those around him what to do, I am talking about Kodi and Chanel Harris-Tavita.

Given the boy studies rugby league, he has the right to do that, but knowing young men and hearing he is humble, I expect that will take some time to develop.

But whoever Walsh plays for next, will get that benefit, the marquee player and the talismanic figure that wins championships.

Lets hope it is us.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Given the boy studies rugby league, he has the right to do that, but knowing young men and hearing he is humble, I expect that will take some time to develop.
He appears to be humble at the moment but super confident and has no fear.

I don’t expect it to take long and we could even see a little cockiness in him. And I don’t mean that in a bad way - all the best really back themselves.

Jerry

Due to the frustration of the walsh selection Ive come to post.
Im not a fan of Chanel Harris-Tavita in the halves and I think most agree that Walsh should be playing 6.

I dont mind Kodi and what hes capable of....its so hard to understand why we went away from that combo after that 1st half against the cowboys we looked the most dangerous we've ever looked in years.

So my question would be whats the side moving forward into next year? Can Chanel Harris-Tavita be bulked up and played as a 13?
My spine would be 7. kodi, 6 walsh and sign another fullback.

Reactions: xWarrior and DallyM

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Im not a fan of Chanel Harris-Tavita in the halves and I think most agree that Walsh should be playing 6.

I dont mind Kodi and what hes capable of....its so hard to understand why we went away from that combo after that 1st half against the cowboys we looked the most dangerous we've ever looked in years.

So my question would be whats the side moving forward into next year? Can Chanel Harris-Tavita be bulked up and played as a 13?

On paper it would be easier and probably more profitable to play Chanel Harris-Tavita at Fb. He can tackle, kick catch, pass, run.

He could be an excellent FB, which from where I am sitting is a win win for him and the club.

The other position I would like to see Chanel Harris-Tavita play, if he is not going to be our half, is as a ball playing center.

Again he can defend pass and run......

Reactions: CHURCUZ

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
If Chanel Harris-Tavita isn’t your halfback you move on from him, don’t by the logic of trying to shoehorn a player into an Nrl side in a position that’s completely foreign to him unless of course your rosters full of holes and there’s nobody coming through. In saying that I’m not writing him off just yet, he has the rest of the season to prove himself a capable halfback.

Keep hearing he has a good career ahead of him, would like to see some evidence of that.

Last edited:

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
If Chanel Harris-Tavita isn’t your halfback you move on from him, don’t by the logic of trying to shoehorn a player into an Nrl side in a position that’s completely foreign to him unless of course your rosters full of holes and there’s nobody coming through. In saying that I’m not righting him off just yet, he has the rest of the season to prove himself a capable halfback.

Keep hearing he has a good career ahead of him, would like to see some evidence of that.
Me too - id like nothing more than for Chanel Harris-Tavita to control the game well with his direction and kicking, and Reece to come on and rip in.

We keep hearing Chanel has the goods but still yet to really see it. Those shallow kicks are super frustrating, really hope he has a big one

xWarrior

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 27, 2012

The question that everyone is asking...we can only hope that Brown reverts to that arrangement.

xWarrior

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 27, 2012
On paper it would be easier and probably more profitable to play Chanel Harris-Tavita at Fb. He can tackle, kick catch, pass, run.

He could be an excellent FB, which from where I am sitting is a win win for him and the club.

The other position I would like to see Chanel Harris-Tavita play, if he is not going to be our half, is as a ball playing center.

Again he can defend pass and run......
FB ? Lol. I think Chanel Harris-Tavita has been mentioned to play every position except for prop 🤣. Maybe we should play him there because as you say he can tackle, kick catch, pass, run ?

Reactions: Sup42

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
I do believe if Kodi never butchered that try soon after half time last week we would have gone on to beat Manly. But after that we went to crap, and we lost. It was a major error as we are now outside the top 8 - The Eels will beat us comfortably on form and ability. I cannot see us competing with them, So will still be outside the Top 8 - Last weeks loss was a bigger loss than people realise as we needed to win to have a chance for the top 8 - When the Eels beat us we will start to fall behind in the race for the top 8 and may not be able to recover and get back in to the top 8 - Kodi's bad pass was a bigger event in our season than you could imagine! We need to start Walsh, he is not a bench player as when he came on we were in trouble and his flair and enthusiasm is great but he was playing catch up footy, and When a team is playing catch up things tend to fall apart even more. We needed Walsh at 6 and Kodi at 7, and another player on the bench with Chanel Harris-Tavita left right out. The team had been looking ok without Chanel Harris-Tavita so why bring him back in when we all know he brings nothing to the team when he plays.

Reactions: xWarrior

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
FB ? Lol. I think Chanel Harris-Tavita has been mentioned to play every position except for prop 🤣. Maybe we should play him there because as you say he can tackle, kick catch, pass, run ?

Are we short of Props?

Next year we lose our fb.

Logical to question whether Chanel Harris-Tavita could convert to that role since it is a dynamic ball playing spine position and we have five NRL level spine players and no one cemented in at FB.

Think about it, we expect Walsh to be ready when he looks defensively to be starting from the same distance behind the grid that Chanel Harris-Tavita would be.

Chanel Harris-Tavita is an all round talented player. My suggestion makes a lot of sense...like I said in the op 'on paper',

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 13 ratings