Pick Your Team Pick Your Team 2018 Rnd 10 - Warriors vs Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Pick Your Team 2018 Rnd 10 - Warriors vs Roosters

Roosters 3

After the Round 9 game against the Wests Tigers at Mt Smart Stadium do you want to see any changes for the Round 10 game against the Sydney Roosters also at Mt Smart Stadium?

Promotions?
Demotions?
Any new injury concerns?
Any returning players?
Any tweaks to the bench?

Discuss...

Blain

Blain

Mannering isn't a second rower anymore, doesn't have the speed or hands anymore to worry anyone. He basically played prop/lock this week and I think that's where he'll stay this season, looks to have lost his 80 minute role too.

Other than that, I agree with your side jonno.

Reactions: 5 users
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Depends a lot on injuries but Lino in the side regardless as either Shaun Johnson replacement or To Spell Lawton if Luke is out.
Maaaaybe Hiku or Beale to the Bench as utility

Reactions: 1 users
rugged

rugged

After such a long lay off Beale should make his way back through ISP. Hiku is performing well on attack setting up Fusitua, but there is serious issues with his front on defensive technique. I think we are getting close to the point where he may need to be dropped despite having some nice touches. When Halligan is acknowledging you are having defensive issues then my Grandma can probably see it and she's dead.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Sup42

Sup42

Beales interesting in that as a Veteran Test Rep his return to Fg is not guaranteed to include ISP time is it.

Same for players like Luke and Mannering Shaun Johnson etc.

Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with time in ISP.

But the rule for Veterans is different and Beale would have done it the traditional straight back in way many times in his career I am sure.

Players at his level are expected to know how to pace themselves and whether they are ready or not...and he has that ability to come straight off the bench as a Utility player anyway...been there and done that for the Sharkies.

You can imagine SK salivating at the thought of having Luke and Lawton, Lawtons game tonight was as good a super sub run as any...very Hohaia like...come on against a weary side and go bang bang two quick Trys...that is what SK would want ideally in future from him.

I hate bagging Lisone cause it gets boring but someone needs to tell him to retire back to the Defensive line like a grown up...I wouldn't jog back with my back turned in the under 16s...what is not connecting with that guy ?

Once Pulu is back Lisone is bye bye...you have to say that at full power we would definately run:

14 Lawton
15 Gavet
16 one of Beale / Kata or Hiku or
17 Mannering or Papalii or Pulu with Blair going to Prop

Reactions: 1 user
Mr Bob

Mr Bob

Contributor
Whatever you want to do Stephen

You know best!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
AlexM

AlexM

1Rts
2.Fusitua
3beale
4kata
5ken
6hiku
7.green
8.bunty
9lawton
10.Paasi
11.papalii
12harris
13.Blair

14.jazz?
15mannering
16Gavet
17.Sao/vete/bambam

If Beale is fit and slots in and Shaun Johnson is out , maybe playing Hiku in 5/8 might work , he's great on attack but not the best defender. He has done the job before for the kiwis.
Maybe safer to just put mason in there.

jonno

jonno

I wouldn't move Hiku to 5/8th. Lino has done the job for us in 2 of 3, and the loss to the storm was a team effort. Shaun Johnson couldn't have magic'd us out of that shit fest.

If Beale is back probably Kata misses out? I think Beale was brought in to run formations with Sheck out on that edge. But I wouldn't be opposed to Kata getting a bench spot. He can cover edge forward with his power to weight ratio. If we've got 88 kg Jazz playing prop, then 97 kg Kata should be just fine in the back row.

If all three injuries ruled out and Beale back in contention.

1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2 Fusitua
3 Hiku
4 Beal
5 Ken
6 Green
7 Lino
8 Afoa
9 Lawton
10 Gavet
11 Papali'i
12 Harris
13 Mannering

14 Jazz
15 Kata
16 Paasi
17 Sao

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I wouldn't move Hiku to 5/8th. Lino has done the job for us in 2 of 3, and the loss to the storm was a team effort. Shaun Johnson couldn't have magic'd us out of that shit fest.

If Beale is back probably Kata misses out? I think Beale was brought in to run formations with Sheck out on that edge. But I wouldn't be opposed to Kata getting a bench spot. He can cover edge forward with his power to weight ratio. If we've got 88 kg Jazz playing prop, then 97 kg Kata should be just fine in the back row.

If all three injuries ruled out and Beale back in contention.

1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2 Fusitua
3 Hiku
4 Beal
5 Ken
6 Green
7 Lino
8 Afoa
9 Lawton
10 Gavet
11 Papali'i
12 Harris
13 Mannering

14 Jazz
15 Kata
16 Paasi
17 Sao

You reckon Hiku is outplaying Kata? Not sure if ‘Kata to the forwards’ is a troll to get s new thread or not :p
(If serious Maumalo would be a candidate before Kata)

Reactions: 2 users

Danpatmac

I like minimum 2 middle forwards off the bench, it works with our rotations etc.

This week it worked well with Gavet and Mannering. I guess Tevaga will come back given the ringing endorsement that Kearney gave him in the presser.

So who is the last bench spot?

It may be Beale... but I would prefer another middle

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Kata to the bench!

The good he does outweighs the bad.;)

Apart from his historical passing issues which seem to have improved this year, what bad do you feel is outweighing his good?
Compare this to his centres partner Hiku whose defence is a massive liability and also has a few issues passing to his winger at times

Reactions: 2 users
Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
look, I'm a Manners fan, but any talk of him being done is premature IMHO.
Sure his DH pass was a howler, but other players had them.

He still has a huge motor, was immense in defense, and his passing at the line was great last night, one of which set up a try

Reactions: 11 users
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor

He still has a huge motor, was immense in defense, and his passing at the line was great last night, one of which set up a try

I’m also a massive Mannering fan but he hasn’t looked himself so far this year. I’m wondering if it’s because others are picking up more of the slack he’s losing what made him special?

Reactions: 8 users

WarriorBall

He controls the opposition through the middle of the park, it can’t be overstated how important that is for us. Those extra seconds he provides through his ability to wrap up the ball carrier and manage them to the ground is critical to our defence overall.

Reactions: 11 users
jonno

jonno

Mannering looked like he was getting back to his old self again in the second half. Maybe with his injury he was just taking it a little easy.

jonno

jonno

Apart from his historical passing issues which seem to have improved this year, what bad do you feel is outweighing his good?
Compare this to his centres partner Hiku whose defence is a massive liability and also has a few issues passing to his winger at times
Kata is a better spot tackler, but Hiku is much better at being in position.

Although Kata did have a good night on defense for sure. Maybe he's turned that corner as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.