General Pick Your Team 2017 Rnd 2 - Warriors vs Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
The hoffs gonskis ... shame really because yesterday he played like he played for the blues 5 years ago
wait what? The hoffs gonskis, are you talking about his contract expiring at the end of the year, or has he hurt himself or something?

wait what? The hoffs gonskis, are you talking about his contract expiring at the end of the year, or has he hurt himself or something?
Contract not renewed ... harris in ... but i would pay a mill a season to have jason .. (the raging bull T here).. he puts the fear of god into defensive stuctures

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure......those are some big glasses and a pretty fuzzy photo......she could have a dog like face for all we know up close......good from far, far from good maybe......
they look all the same with the lights off....hence I'm more of a body man than a face man....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Same team with the Beast to replace Ken Maumalo which was the game plan anyway. Maumalo is merely depth...

Lets see how well I think I know SK as coach.

IF everyone is fit and healthy, YES even KEN, I think he will reward ALL of them by keeping their spots after a WIN

I really can't see him dropping KEN and busting his ( what little he has ) confidence. The guy, despite his faults and horrible game, takes the ball up when needed, giving our pack, a much needed rest. He makes good metres, and I can't see SK after one game, giving him the boot just yet........guess we will see soon enough.

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
I think we can win this weekend.

I watched the game again tonight and to headline or summarise, we had a very nervous team at home with new combos under an expectation to win and do so handsomely, up against a team with zero pressure or expectation.

Then, when we had the backs to the wall we got a roll on and slapped up 20 in 15.

Another nervous start to the second half and then the real issue of the second half 'collapse' occurred, we lost Luke and Mannering and were exploited through the middle.

Then, when it looked like the last 5yrs all over again, they mustered something to come from behind -again - and actually win it.

They did so without Foran (or Leuluai depending on your perspective), Vatuvei (who was better than Ken by some way yesterday), Big Ben, an unfit Bodene then Luke and Mannering.

Not to mention all the pressure that came with our off season hype and first Mt Smart game since 2009 (which we won) compared to the expectation free result for the Knights away.

Frankly, considering that lot, I'm somewhat placated if not satisfied and even a little impressed.

Knights were hardly shocking.

I think with a second home game, no travel and coming up against a team we are not expected to beat, we may have a few surprises for them.

The key will be the forwards and especially the Hooker. We need straight running forwards and I'd be swapping Gavet in for I Papps and ensure we have two fit Hookers rotating throughout.

Warriors by 10pts, 28-18.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
am i the only one that is suprised lolohea is in the team ?
Very surprised he is in the team. First Newcastle try was due to him not being aggressive enough and attacking/holding the ball (bad for an ex-fullback). When Roger Tuivasa-Sheck made the break he kicked on first tackle for Christ sake, any smart player would have got tackled, quick play the ball and we would have had a massive overlap and probably would have scored. He doesn't do many solid hit ups and defensively his reads and tackles are poor. I say drop him and let him go. One lucky run against the roosters last year to set up the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck winner seems to keep him in the team all the time. Ayshford/Allwood for mind with Fusitua on wing.

Reactions: 2 users
I think we can win this weekend.

I watched the game again tonight and to headline or summarise, we had a very nervous team at home with new combos under an expectation to win and do so handsomely, up against a team with zero pressure or expectation.

Then, when we had the backs to the wall we got a roll on and slapped up 20 in 15.

Another nervous start to the second half and then the real issue of the second half 'collapse' occurred, we lost Luke and Mannering and were exploited through the middle.

Then, when it looked like the last 5yrs all over again, they mustered something to come from behind -again - and actually win it.

They did so without Foran (or Leuluai depending on your perspective), Vatuvei (who was better than Ken by some way yesterday), Big Ben, an unfit Bodene then Luke and Mannering.

Not to mention all the pressure that came with our off season hype and first Mt Smart game since 2009 (which we won) compared to the expectation free result for the Knights away.

Frankly, considering that lot, I'm somewhat placated if not satisfied and even a little impressed.

I think with a second home game, no travel and coming up against a team we are not expected to beat, we may have a few surprises for them.

The key will be the forwards and especially the Hooker. We need straight running forwards and I'd be swapping Gavet in for I Papps and ensure we have two fit Hookers rotating throughout.

Warriors by 10pts, 28-18.
I'm with you., and a good summary as to why.
Just cannot believe the we've no chance mentality. For me the Storm were boring-az last weekend and lacked any creativity apart from what they'd been brain-washed into doing.
Friday night and a decent crowd, nerves out of the way. Optimistic that Simon and Luke will be there and a change to Manu. Anything is possible and a top 4 slot on the line...wait?? what?? We can do this!

I'm with you., and a good summary as to why.
Just cannot believe the we've no chance mentality. For me the Storm were boring-az last weekend and lacked any creativity apart from what they'd been brain-washed into doing.
Friday night and a decent crowd, nerves out of the way. Optimistic that Simon and Luke will be there and a change to Manu. Anything is possible and a top 4 slot on the line...wait?? what?? We can do this!

Simon, and particularly Isaac, NEED to be there, in order for us to win. I called it during the game, when Bully went off - we're going to struggle to score now, and will have to defend around 20 points... which is exactly what ended up happening. I think had Simon and Bully played the whole game, we probably would have won 30-12... you can't lose your defensive rock, and attack fulcrum and not suffer. There's no surprise we lost the middle when they both left. If they're both out, Storm are too good a team not to punish us. But, I agree with you, if they both play, we're a chance.

Reactions: 4 users
No the refs were shocking and the Safiti Bros bruising. I agree with you, we did ok and walked away with 2 points. We will improve and have more chances to add more premiership points as soon as this Friday, simple as that.

The Storm wingers will make a mockery of ours. They are very quick, elusive and can catch. Every time they go wide we are in the shite. From broken play they are a big threat too. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is going to be very busy organising and covering for his inept wingers.

I think SK needs to take a long view cautious approach regarding Mannering and Luke that we will need these guys as the season rolls on, and not giving a games' rest could haunt us later.

The second thing is that SK will be making the team take personal responsibility for their personal, and team performance. Too often we have seen the team fall apart when they don't have their 'security blanket' players like Mannering on the field. Time to stand up and grind.

Lastly, the Storm know all about Luke and Mannering. The Storm are a team where unknown quantity players like Clarke can work against. Tough ask to go against Cameron Smith, but sport is all about taking opportunities.

I don't know the status of Roache and Tevaga, if both are out then Thompson has another stint at DH.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Vatuvei, Kata, Fusitua, Lolohea, AH (deserves initials now), Shaun Johnson, Vete, Clarke, Gubb, Thompson, Hoffman, Lisone, Bench Roache/Tevaga, Lillyman, Afoa, Gavet.

Reactions: 1 user
The other thing that worries me is the five day turnaround hoodoo. I dont think any team has ever beaten those odds...
I hate to be the first person of the year to bring up travel as we are usually accused of using that as an excuse. But here goes.

We usually have our preparation cut short due to travelling to Australia and back. The opposition usually cite the disruption to their following week when coming over here once a year. What has this got to do with anything?

We often have short turn-arounds between games; sure this is two days being taken off instead of the one with travel but hopefully the club can lean on that experience. Sure in an ideal world we would be getting a Saturday game before moving to the Friday or with the draw that we are not leaving NZ until round 4 would give us 7 day turn arounds between games like the Broncos.

Lets just hope the up and down performance is feeling raw and the shorter time to get out on the field and rectify it.

My attitude. Before the game think positive and no excuses. Afterwards if we lose damn 5 day turn arounds.:p

bruce

Contributor
Will he risk Luke or Mannering half baked ?
He made a mistake not having a dummy half to replace Luke. That was the biggest problem IMO. Bodene wasn't fit enough for that job.

He has Mason Lino on the bench this week, watch this space. They will probably give Luke jabs for his rib muscle, he will pay for it in old age but will get though the game ok. Mannering is apparently ok.

My worry is the real gas they have on the wings. I don't know what they can do about it apart from watch what the Dogs did to grind them down.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Team List thread is open...

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/nrl-2017-round-2-warriors-vs-storm-team-list.54354

VODAFONE WARRIORS v MELBOURNE STORM
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
8.00pm, Friday, March 10

1 ROGER TUIVASA-SHECK (c)
2 TUIMOALA LOLOHEA
3 DAVID Fusitua
4 SOLOMONE KATA
5 KEN MAUMALO
6 ATA HINGANO
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 ALBERT VETE
9 ISSAC LUKE