Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
1995Warriorsfan

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I would get this thread going.

After yesterday trial game who will be the in the team for game 1?

Ata Hingano set to start season next to Shaun Johnson for Warriors
5:13 AM Monday Feb 20, 2017

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney has declared young playmaker Ata Hingano a near certain starter for round one of the NRL season in the absence of Kieran Foran.

Hingano was composed at five-eighth in yesterday's 26-6 NRL trial win over the Gold Coast Titans at Palmerston North and is now set to again partner Shaun Johnson in the halves when the Warriors face the Newcastle Knights at Mt Smart Stadium on March 5.

The 19-year-old made his NRL debut against North Queensland late last year and also appeared the following week against Wests Tigers, while he has come on to start the year strongly throughout the Warriors preseason campaign.

With Kiwis international Foran not eligible to play until round three at the earliest, Hingano has been competing with fellow half Mason Lino but Kearney confirmed the Junior Kiwis star was the frontrunner to fill the No 6 jersey after a solid 80 minute performance against the Titans.

"Definitely," said Kearney. "I didn't get the opportunity to put Mason on because I wanted to have a good look at Ata. Both of them have had good preseasons.

"Ata defends really well and in terms of integrating him and getting him into the attacking programme and what we're doing at the moment, that will come as he gets a lot more comfortable within the group."

There's also a spot up for grabs in the Warriors front row, with senior prop Ben Matulino to miss the opening rounds with a knee injury. Fellow props Charlie Gubb and Albert Vete have made good contributions, having both started the two trial matches.

But the issue is clouded with Jacob Lillyman, Sam Lisone and James Gavet all producing strong games off the bench in their first hit-out yesterday, while Kearney has also been enthused by the efforts of young forwards Bunty Afoa and Isaiah Papalii.

"I really haven't made my mind up," he said. "I'll have a look at what that looks like close up on the video and get a feel for what that looks like over the next week or so and go from there.

"James Gavet showed some good signs also, Sam showed some good signs, and in fairness our two young back-rowers Bunty and Isaiah had wonderful performances."

Meanwhile, combinations out wide are starting to take shape, with Kiwis centre pairing David Fusitua and Solomone Kata likely to start the season, despite the latter making two basic handling errors in four minutes against the Titans.

With the Warriors leading 14-6 and still searching for the knockout blow, Kata dropped the ball cold from a scrum win and then spilled the next pass that came his way to again let the Titans off the hook.

Kearney has faith in the 22-year-old to rectify matters but expects more from his players regardless of the stage of the season.

"I know Sol takes his game very seriously and he was very disappointed in himself," he said.

"But that's the lesson. Regardless of it being a trial and getting yourself ready, if you've been given the responsibility of going out there and performing for the team, you need to get your job done."

- NZ Herald

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

.... LOADING ....
Contributor
Reaction score
RTS
Lolohea
Fusitua
Kata
Anyone other than Ken
Ata
SJ
Lillyman
Luke
Vete
Hoffman
Afoa
Mannering

Lisone
Gavet
Gubb
Clark/Roache/Tevaga

• Haha
Reactions: FAN
Reaction score
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Reaction score
It’s a bit hard without knowing if Thompson and Vatuvei will play.

If not, the team that started yesterday is fine.

Probably drop Gubb if Thompson is fit, started both trials and didn’t see any kamikaze tackle attempts, but his carries just aren’t doing it.

Gavet, Lisone, Lillyman, Vete become the props, Afoa covers the back row. Clark looks handy for the last bench spot.

Reaction score
Vancent

Vancent

😞
Contributor
Reaction score
RTS
Lolo
Fus
Kata
Vats
Ata
Sj
Vete
Luke
Lillyman
Bodene
Hoff/Bunty
Manners

Roache
Gavet
Lisone
Bounty/Sipley

Reaction score

warriors4eva

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It’s a bit hard without knowing if Thompson and Vatuvei will play.

If not, the team that started yesterday is fine.

Probably drop Gubb if Thompson is fit, started both trials and didn’t see any kamikaze tackle attempts, but his carries just aren’t doing it.

Gavet, Lisone, Lillyman, Vete become the props, Afoa covers the back row. Clark looks handy for the last bench spot.
Erin has put on the beef, put on some nice hits yesterday

is he still a hooker/half or looking at playing up front with the big boys !!

id have lisone,vete, sipley and bunty in there somewhere

see ya gubb !

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
RTS
Tui
Fusitua
Kata
Will be Maumalo but don't rate
Higano
Johnson
Vete
Luke
Lillyman
Thompson?
Hoffman
Mannering

Roache
Lisone
Afoa
Gavet/Papalii (why not?)

Reaction score
TheCool

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
  1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
  2. Tuimoala Lolohea
  3. Solomone Kata
  4. David Fusitua
  5. Manu Vatuvei
  6. Ata Hingano
  7. Shaun Johnson
  8. Albert Vete
  9. Isaac Luke
  10. Jacob Lillyman
  11. Ryan Hoffman
  12. Bodene Thompson
  13. Simon Mannering

14. Erin Clark
  15. Sam Lisone
  16. Charlie Gubb
  17. Bunty Afoa

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
RTS
Lolohea
Fusitua
Kata
Maumolo
Foran
SJ
Lillyman
Luke
Vete
Hoffman
Thompson
Mannering
Ata
Afoa
Roache
Lisone

Reaction score
eric

eric

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
RTS
Lolohea
Fusitua
Kata
Maumolo
Foran
SJ
Lillyman
Luke
Vete
Hoffman
Thompson
Mannering
Ata
Afoa
Roache
Lisone
Foran isn't available until round 3. Also, do you like Maumolo or is he just there because you prefer him over Vatuvei?

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Predicted Team from Fox Sports - Take a look at the bench, I really hope the days of carrying an outside back on the bench have ended.

WARRIORS V KNIGHTS

Sun 05 Mar 2017, 2:00pm, Mt Smart Stadium

Warriors: 1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2. Tuimoala Lolohea 3. David Fusitua 4. Solomone Kata 5. Manu Vatuvei 6. Ata Hingano 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Jacob Lillyman 9. Issac Luke 10. Sam Lisone 11. Ryan Hoffman 12. Bodene Thompson 13. Simon Mannering. Interchange: 14. Albert Vete 15. James Gavet 16. Bunty Afoa 17. Blake Ayshford

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Probably about right, Ashyford on the bench is just a guess I'd say. Tevaga will be there, despite the fact he isn't a hooker..

Reaction score

Jordan G

Based on what Mt Welly said Thompson is an unlikely starter and Manu has a question mark. So there goes that team.

Reaction score
InsideBall

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
If all of Manu, Bodene, Hoffman and Gubb (as well as Mutts, Kieran and Roache) are out. I wouldn't be surprised by:

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Tuimoala Lolohea
3. David Fusitua
4. Solomone Kata
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Ata Hingano
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Albert Vete
9 Isaac Luke
10. Jacob Lillyman
11. Bunty Afoa
12. Isaiah Papali'i
13. Simon Mannering

14. Jazz Tevaga/Erin Clark
15. James Gavet
16. Sam Lisone
17. Tof Sipley

Tell you one thing, I'm seriously concerned about how our NSW Cup squad is going to look this year... we've lost a lot of depth.

Reaction score
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm confidant in saying there's no way Kearney will continue the Cappy tradition of an outside back on the bench. Even with unlimited interchange at the trial he played his bench like it was a real game and didn't make any unnecessary interchanges, so you'd have to believe that was showing what his thoughts are come round 1. I reckon Clark will get the nod over Tevaga based on trial form and the latter's terrible passing.

Reaction score
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Reaction score
If all of Manu, Bodene, Hoffman and Gubb (as well as Mutts, Kieran and Roache) are out. I wouldn't be surprised by:

12. Isaiah Papali'i
13. Simon Mannering

14. Jazz Tevaga/Erin Clark
15. James Gavet
16. Sam Lisone
17. Tof Sipley

Tell you one thing, I'm seriously concerned about how our NSW Cup squad is going to look this year... we've lost a lot of depth.
Its kind of a 2nd U20 team these days. Might not be worth watching too many of their games.

The other option is put Mannering to the edge and play another prop at 13.

But if your going to debut a 18 year old, why not round 1, when everyone is getting up to speed, and especially against the knights who don’t have the playmakers to exploit a rookie.

Sending him out the next week to mark up on Cronk’s side would be unfair though.

Reaction score
InsideBall

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Its kind of a 2nd U20 team these days. Might not be worth watching too many of their games.

The other option is put Mannering to the edge and play another prop at 13.

But if your going to debut a 18 year old, why not round 1, when everyone is getting up to speed, and especially against the knights who don’t have the playmakers to exploit a rookie.

Sending him out the next week to mark up on Cronk’s side would be unfair though.
I was initially thinking:

11. Afoa
12. Mannering
13. Lisone

With Papalii on the bench.

Which I'd be perfectly happy with, I love Sams ball playing through the middle, and Bunty runs brilliant lines, and was brutal with and without the ball... but the fact that Mooks threw Isaiah out there immediately as Hoffman went down, instead of going with the above, and the fact that Papalii killed it... why not? If he's good enough, let him play.

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Honest question. How many rugby league games has Papalii played?
Isn't he pretty much straight out of the union school boy system?
If that's the case going straight into the NRL might be a big ask.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Only question mark in my mind is who will take over Bo and who will make up the bench. The backline is set in concrete bar any new injuries. You can lock in Bull, Bully, Albie, Sammy and Gubb. Those guys will run out Round 1. Obviously Hoff and Juju. Bunty has impressed both on a off the field and is said to have another bench spot on lock. So far the known team looks like this:

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c)
2. Tuimoala Lolohea
3. David Fusitua
4. Solomone Kata
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Ata Hingano
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jacob Lillyman
9. Issac Luke
10. Albert Vete
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Simon Mannering

14. Charlie Gubb
15. Bunty Afoa
16. Sam Lisone

I dont know if Manners ends up playing wide but we know Kearney has always favoured him leading the middle for the Kiwis. We may see Sam Lisone play lock or second row. We may even see Isaiah Papalii score a debut as a 20 minute impact player. Who knows?

Second biggest mystery is who will play the bench utility? We know Mooks favours one and likes to give Bully a spell. Toss up between Jazz and Clark. One has the workrate while the other has the far better delivery. Jazz for mine.

I'll see what I can dig up...

Reaction score
Sebastian

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I tell you what. After watching that trial game. Albert Vete looks massive and this following season could easily be our number one prop. He runs hard at the line and very little self preservation. He is our number one prop in the waiting. Bunty runs hard too but is missing the size of Vete. Very impressed so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom