Do you want Tuimoala Lolohea returned to the wing or stay in the halves?

• Left wing

• Five Eighth

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damnit I was hoping we had our own valentine Holmes :sour:
Nah I'm listening to Dave , He's good as aye Dave ?:)
Lolohea is our Valentine Holmes aye.

Wells is just a different type of player to our other lot. He might turn out to be chicken in the big league or just a flop, no one knows to be fair.

For the level he is playing at he looks like a potential missing piece of a pretty important Warrior puzzle (edge defense) it tends to be when players look different to our usual embarrassment of riches of talent....that they really stand out....as such the temptation is to rave about their defensive potential.

Reactions: Off The Bench
Everyone should just stop throwing out names like CNK and Wells, it's pretty much set in stone Lolohea will be 1 and TL to 6.

No point speculating.

This is Tui's year, he's getting better game by game. Obviously in a perfect world we've have Saturday's spine for the rest of the year, but we need to live with the fact that Tui has the fullback spot now.

In fairness to him as well, he's just as good as Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Roger is more powerful hitting the line / will make more metres, but Tui has a better eye for opportunity and better play making abilities. He's a natural talent. I think the fastest in the team over 100 too if that means anything.

I'm as gutted as anyone about this news, I was seriously not expecting this, but I still haven't written our chances off knowing an in-form Tui is a straight swap.

Everyone should just stop throwing out names like CNK and Wells, it's pretty much set in stone Lolohea will be 1 and TL to 6.

No point speculating.

This is Tui's year, he's getting better game by game. Obviously in a perfect world we've have Saturday's spine for the rest of the year, but we need to live with the fact that Tui has the fullback spot now.

In fairness to him as well, he's just as good as Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Roger is more powerful hitting the line / will make more metres, but Tui has a better eye for opportunity and better play making abilities. He's a natural talent. I think the fastest in the team over 100 too if that means anything.

I'm as gutted as anyone about this news, I was seriously not expecting this, but I still haven't written our chances off knowing an in-form Tui is a straight swap.
Isn't that what depth is for. we have plenty of quality fullbacks too cover Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Wells,Klokstad that's pretty good cover IMO.so Tui should stay at 5/8.,I think we have a really good chance of making top six with the cover we have

Isn't that what depth is for. we have plenty of quality fullbacks too cover Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Wells,Klokstad that's pretty good cover IMO.so Tui should stay at 5/8.,I think we have a really good chance of making top six with the cover we have

It's exactly what depth is for but Tui is higher in the pecking order for fullback depth. As someone mentioned earlier, having two running halves is a luxury, having a gun fullback is a necessity. Wells and CNK barely shred reserve grade, let alone them being thrown in the deep end to fill Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's boots.

Why risk bringing them in now when TL at 6 and Tui at 1 is proven (the latter somewhat).

Just because the Warriors sign fullbacks like Wells and Klokstad, doesn't mean they're guaranteed depth options for first grade. Having a winning reserve grade side is a business in it's own, and strengthening that team / winning the comp is just as much of a priority for the club.

All this talk of bringing Wells or CNK into first grade is silly. Not now, the time is not right. These guys are not tearing up reserve grade enough for it to even look like they could come up and deliver.

Johnson is just starting to find form. It's no secret that he comes back from every Kiwi vs Kangaroo game better than ever because he's running on the back of the best forwards in the comp in Bromwich / Mutts / Proctor / Taupau / etc. Leuluai's set play and passing is on point. He didn't miss the target at all and the amount of talking he does on the field, backed by his solid 1:1 defending is exactly what the team needs to move forward.

- Lolohea is in the best form of his career. The way he's been playing, it's only going to get better. Let's have him at fullback so he can make the decision on the last whether he hits a center/winger or runs it to the line should he see opputunity.
- Johnson is finding form, Saturday's kicking was on point and when he split the center and made that break, it looked like his speed was back to 100%. He had to slow down for Fusitua and Ayshford

The biggest obstacle for Warriors now is going to be belief. If there is no belief they can go forward without Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, then we're going to have the same outcome as the Johnson injury last year. If the boys are confident Tui can fill in his shoes, and they string some wins together, in a few weeks Roger Tuivasa-Sheck being out for the season won't even be in convo on these forums.

Ask yourself this. From all the interviews and player talk I've seen, all the players know Tui is in the form of his career. For this mental barrier. it'd be easier for them to trust that they can move forward with someone as skilled as him in the back. If someone like Wells is put in their, that same confidence from the team just won't be there, there'd be just as many unknowns from the team as their would be from us fans.

We KNOW Tui can be dangerous, break the line, step, run hard, ball play. We DON'T know if Wells or CNK can do that at FG level, considering they aren't destroying teams at a RG level.

Remember back in the day Fish was scoring 3 tries a game, making breaks at will, and lightning fast runaways. If one of those guys were doing that week to week and it was coming on our radards I'd say awesome, let's consider them as wing options, then gradually give them the task to prove himself at Fullback.

In short, they're not acceptable depth options at this time, and most importantly, I'm confident the coaching staff share my views :)

Tui to fullback is a no brainier. It may actually help Tuis development as a playmaker, being able to inject himself without the pressure of wearing the 6 jersey

Reactions: Sup42
On attack I'd like to see TL playing as a second hooker, taking the work load off Luke during the game. Maybe have them playing left and right to cut down on the sideways running meters getting to the play the ball.

TL passing to Luke on the last is also a better kicking option than the other way round.

And have Shaun Johnson and Tui making the back line plays, with Shaun Johnson doing more halfback work so that Tui can slip back as a full back when he needs to.

Funny setup but there's no reason it can't work.

When you look at the strength of our spine we've got two power hookers, and two sidestepping 5/8s. So we might as well use those strengths as best we can.

No point speculating.

In fairness to him as well, he's just as good as RTS.
Just hope he doesn't wait for the high ball to bounce like he did last year.

Yes, but even older than the ones Knobby went after - and always vote for Winnie - both during the Blitz and now!!!
Mate I have seen them tripping over their zimmer frames to get a look at him.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 Again

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Both JD and Cappy have pretty much confirmed on the radio this morning that Tui will be at Fullback for Monday game.

I hope Tommy has got his energizer batteries charged so he can last for the full 80.

Cedit to Lolo for how he's handling himself so far in his career, he's been chopped and changed since he arrived in first grade and fullfilled a stop gap role with the Kiwis also.

I'm sure from his perspective he's looking forward now to the rest of the season in the full back position which he enjoys playing.

He has as much potential as Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off The Bench
Given Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is out for the season and Leuluai may be leaving next year...

They need to be thinking about Lolohea in the halves long term... so... play him there. Give Wells a shot. If he chokes, switch him to wing and Fusitua to the back...

Lolohea is best at FB I think but long term this is what is best for the club.

On the bright side... Wells might save more tries than Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

I'm not looking long term. We're 7 weeks into a season with a possibility of playing finals footy for the first time in 5 years. Pick your strongest team to get the job done with minimal disruption and put simply that is Lolohea to FB and Leuluai to 6.

No point giving Wells a shot, then Fusitua a shot, then my Aunty a shot. Pick the top side and run with it. Lolohea best FB option so he goes there.

I'm not looking long term. We're 7 weeks into a season with a possibility of playing finals footy for the first time in 5 years. Pick your strongest team to get the job done with minimal disruption and put simply that is Lolohea to FB and Leuluai to 6.

No point giving Wells a shot, then Fusitua a shot, then my Aunty a shot. Pick the top side and run with it. Lolohea best FB option so he goes there.

Going to disagree with you here. Oddly, I believe FB is Lolohea's best position right now. But they have stated they want to see him in the halves as a long term half. Therefore they need to suck it up, stop fu**ing around with his development, and play him in the halves. I've said it before, the kid has a tonne of talent and I don't want to see him wasted like the club wasted Hohaia.

Wells is a fullback. Fusitua can play fullback.

We may or may not make the finals this year. But we might very well make it to the end of the year, have Leuluai heading back to superleague, and Lolohea might have played 15 minutes in the halves all season, and them still be talking about him as an option for next year...

Then for example, lets say Shaun Johnson goes down injured in a few weeks. Do we move Lolohea back to the halves in a position he's unfamiliar with, and then bring in a replacement fullback? Or do we then try and make the finals with Leuluai and Robson leading the side around...

Lolohea stays at 6 for me.

But I'm not McFadden, so he'll be named at fullback later on today...

Then for example, lets say Shaun Johnson goes down injured in a few weeks. Do we move Lolohea back to the halves in a position he's unfamiliar with, and then bring in a replacement fullback? Or do we then try and make the finals with Leuluai and Robson leading the side around...

Absolutely no point in worrying about things that haven't happened.

Reactions: Miket12
Absolutely no point in worrying about things that haven't happened.

given how pronounced to injury our backs can be...

Honestly, I think either Wells or Fusitua (or even Allwood or Wright) can do the job at fullback. Not the same job as Lolohea. But I think he offers more to us long term in the halves.

Lolohea to fullback and Leuluai to 6 is the easy fix. But I am not convinced it's the right fix.

No second chance for Locke, with Lolohea at FB.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11624984

The Warriors will stay in-house to cover for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, and have ruled out giving Kevin Locke a second chance at the club.

Assistant coach Justin Morgan indicated to RadioSport's the Crowd Goes Wild Breakfast that Tui Lolohea would initially cover the fullback role, with Thomas Leuluai remaining alongside Shaun Johnson in the halves.

Lolohea, who started the season on the wing, had to shift from the halves to fullback when Tuivasa-Sheck was injured late in the first quarter during the win over the Bulldogs in Wellington.

Tuivasa-Sheck has been ruled out for the season with an ACL injury, a bitter blow for the club as Morgan acknowledged. It led to speculation that Locke, an itinerant and troubled figure, could be given an Auckland lifeline.

Morgan said: "No it's not going to be one for us - I'm pretty sure that is not an option.

"The salary cap is tight and what we've got is what we've got. Tui had one of his strongest games at fullback.

"His game naturally suits that - he's a runner, he can swing either side of the field, so we've got a pretty good replacement there.

"And Thomas is quite suited to playing on the left hand side - he plays very directly which will help Ryan Hoffman.

"We've just got to get on with it - we can't kiss the seasons goodbye just because we've had a couple of injuries."

Morgan said the loss of Tuivasa-Sheck could also open the door for one of the younger players such as fullback Henare Wells rather than turning back the clock with Locke.

The 27-year-old Locke, who played 88 games for the Warriors up until 2014, has been linked with the Dragons, who also rescued the career of prop Russell Packer who was jailed for assault.

Jordan G

People need to take "long term" out of their argument because while I don't disagree with the thought, it's just not relevant in a situation where a coach doesn't have a long term without wins and a team is well in contention to make the 8 barely a quarter into a season. The moment we start chosing long term over right now is the moment we've eseentially given up. How fickle is that? Even without Roger Tuivasa-Sheck we still have a better team than we did last year where we were well in contention for the 8. If the Warriors took the "long term" mentality above all else they would essentially be saying "we give up this year", Imagine this place if they came out and said that.

1. Lolohea
6. TL
7. Shaun Johnson
9. Luke

That's the best option for experience, stability and the potential to win games now. If we were to throw in unknown factors we'd be hoping to get lucky more than anything else. Not saying it couldn't work, but it would be a much bigger gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.