General Pick Your Team 2016 Rnd 6 - Warriors vs Manly

Do you bring Thomas Leuluai straight back in?

• Starting half back

• Starting hooker

• Off the bench

• Reserve Grade

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hman

hman

I'd hold off moving Lolohea for now as he and Ayshford have a good combo developing. They are shutting down raids down their flank, scoring tries, and most importantly seem to really enjoy playing together. Don't break up something that's going well.

I've been disappointed with some aspects of Robsons play (the unforced errors, lack of speed to close holes etc.). However I've also enjoyed the last couple of games with how he and Shaun Johnson's attacking play and structures are blending well together. He also has a nice crisp accurate pass and the timing is good.

I'm just a little worried about TL, as TL and Shaun Johnson never blended well at all.

Reactions: 10 users
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

With Luke playing 80 I think Tevaga's headed back to reserve grade. Good kid but hard to say he offers a lot of impact as a 2nd rower at this stage of his career. Especially if we get Thompson back.

Reactions: 1 users
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

I'd hold off moving Lolohea for now as he and Ayshford have a good combo developing. They are shutting down raids down their flank, scoring tries, and most importantly seem to really enjoy playing together. Don't break up something that's going well.

If he was in the halves he could swap sides with Johnson and play on the right, inside Ayshford to keep the bromance going.

Reactions: 1 user

Dunedin warrior

With the Robson v Leuluai debate, Robbo despite his numerous flaws has two things going for him, he doesn't overplay his hand and he has a great left to right pass. These are probably two of Leuluai's weaknesses.

If Cappy wants to bring Tommy in he is going to have to tinker with the gameplan.

Reactions: 4 users
Sup42

Sup42

After many seasons of two leaky edges, I wouldn't dare tamper with Ayshford and Lolohea.

That pairing in their respective positions have been the only consistent combination between two players....both sides of the ball this club has seen in years.

They have found the secret.....communication and decision making.

So if I were coach I would be tapping into that....and selling it to the rest of the squad....they are modelling the way to play within a team...it's gold...don't change it.

Also it means the focus can shift to other areas....those two should be left to keep building the threat they are...most of us believe in Loloheas running ability...and his grit in defence....he just needed a good mentor / advisor...where ever he ends up long term...he is serving the same kind of apprenticeship Roger Tuivasa-Sheck did under Mini....the next level will see Lolohea set up Ayshford for some try's (Wing center interplay) that final development will give the Warriors a weapon of great power and accuracy.

Ayshford is that rare thing at the Warriors, a player that puts a gifted runner into space every week.

What to do about the Left edge ? Fix that and we are moving up the ladder rapidly.

Three problems to choose from:

Winger
Backrower
Half Back

All are having defensive issues. It could be worse....the left center could be a no hoper too....but right now Kata needs to be left alone....for the Same reasons our right edge should be left as is....Kata is learning....improving....showing some real potential to change his game both sides of the ball.

It's been going on too long now to not change one of those personnel.

My first thought is put Manu on the bench in the same role Hurrell is occupying. I look forward to hearing from anyone who doesn't think Manu could do as much....if not more...in that role that Hurrell has.
Manu will give you more minutes for starters.

Why Manu over Robson ?

Well since we have looked after one defensively fragile winger forever.....to keep their positives in attack.....couldn't the same argument be applied to building a defensive edge around protecting Robson ?

Which position offers more in attack ? Winger ? or Halfback ? Who's more valuable to this spine when we have the ball ? Manu or Robson ?

Kick return meters are the responsibility of which dept in most other NRL teams ? One Winger or ...the conventional way...the load is shared.

Who do you bring in for Manu ? I thinks it is time to try young Wells if fit....or Allwood....defensive players....lots of Wing experience in their formative years.

If you have to move Thompson to the left and swap him for Hoffman so be it.....If you have to Move Mannering there....so be it....build a defensive unit that can cover for the Halfback...not the Winger and half back...plus back row forward needing protection.

The right edge has shown it can function without Thompsons big contribution in defence there.

Lots of NRL sides protect a weak defensive half in their line up.....few build a defensive line around protecting a Winger.

Reactions: 6 users
Stylez Davis

Stylez Davis

After many seasons of two leaky edges, I wouldn't dare tamper with Ayshford and Lolohea.

That pairing in their respective positions have been the only consistent combination between two players....both sides of the ball this club has seen in years.

They have found the secret.....communication and decision making.

So if I were coach I would be tapping into that....and selling it to the rest of the squad....they are modelling the way to play within a team...it's gold...don't change it.

Also it means the focus can shift to other areas....those two should be left to keep building the threat they are...most of us believe in Loloheas running ability...and his grit in defence....he just needed a good mentor / advisor...where ever he ends up long term...he is serving the same kind of apprenticeship Roger Tuivasa-Sheck did under Mini....the next level will see Lolohea set up Ayshford for some try's (Wing center interplay) that final development will give the Warriors a weapon of great power and accuracy.

Ayshford is that rare thing at the Warriors, a player that puts a gifted runner into space every week.

What to do about the Left edge ? Fix that and we are moving up the ladder rapidly.

Three problems to choose from:

Winger
Backrower
Half Back

All are having defensive issues. It could be worse....the left center could be a no hoper too....but right now Kata needs to be left alone....for the Same reasons our right edge should be left as is....Kata is learning....improving....showing some real potential to change his game both sides of the ball.

It's been going on too long now to not change one of those personnel.

My first thought is put Manu on the bench in the same role Hurrell is occupying. I look forward to hearing from anyone who doesn't think Manu could do as much....if not more...in that role that Hurrell has.
Manu will give you more minutes for starters.

Why Manu over Robson ?

Well since we have looked after one defensively fragile winger forever.....to keep their positives in attack.....couldn't the same argument be applied to building a defensive edge around protecting Robson ?

Which position offers more in attack ? Winger ? or Halfback ? Who's more valuable to this spine when we have the ball ? Manu or Robson ?

Kick return meters are the responsibility of which dept in most other NRL teams ? One Winger or ...the conventional way...the load is shared.

Who do you bring in for Manu ? I thinks it is time to try young Wells if fit....or Allwood....defensive players....lots of Wing experience in their formative years.

If you have to move Thompson to the left and swap him for Hoffman so be it.....If you have to Move Mannering there....so be it....build a defensive unit that can cover for the Halfback...not the Winger and half back...plus back row forward needing protection.

The right edge has shown it can function without Thompsons big contribution in defence there.

Lots of NRL sides protect a weak defensive half in their line up.....few build a defensive line around protecting a Winger.

Great post, you've summed up what i was thinking on a lot of points.

With Robson I'm not a fan mostly because of his defence but like others have posted he does have his good points like his passing and the combo with Shaun Johnson. So how do we fix his defence? This is where i think Hoffman needs to step up or someone else needs to be put inside Robson and act as his bodyguard. Because Robo is a hobbit he is going to be targeted all day. Tony Carrols job at the Broncs was to look after Lockyer in defence. I think whoever is defending inside Robo that should be his mandate, be the Samwise to Robos Frodo, keep him safe keep him hidden!

Reactions: 3 users
jonno

jonno

Considering manu losing his pace he's really only suited to bench forward...

Less agility type plays means less injuries as well...

Everyone loves Konrad coming off the bench. Its 10 times more for the beast, cause he's going to have real impact...

And edge forward isn't all that different to center... But bigger and slower is perfered...

Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
if it aint broke don't fix it.
tommy has to prove himself in reserve grade for me, it's been a long time since he has been out on the field under the pressure of first grade speed,
it could take a couple of weeks to realize to him self even that hes not up to it,
you can't just say heck he played well last game he played for us so hes in, I'm sure I use to be able to run faster back then to ......lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
eX | Machina

eX | Machina

I would be looking at having TL in the halves except not the injured one. Lolo for me goes into the halves, absolutely wasted on the wing.

Jordan G

TL prove himself? Asking TL to prove himself would be like asking the Queen for a birth certificiate.

Long live the GEM - our Googly Eyed Messiah

Sup42

Sup42

Did anyone watch the full game Manly played this Weekend ?

If you did, and you think they are the same Rabble from previous rounds....I'd love to hear about it.

Last week after watching the Roosters, I thought we would lose....this week after watching the Full Manly game....I'm thinking we could get raped (watch the full game if you get the chance).

Manly looked off the pace....then when the niggle started....between Tapau and The Burgi bros....Manly fed off Tapaus moral victory in the smash fest.

The defence Manly rediscovered at sixteen nil down.....shows pride is still their greatest strength....I don't care who is wearing that ugly jersey....it stands for something.

Honestly....they are not the team on paper they appear to be.....they are a fired up Manly side, sick of losing..... well capable of raping any NRL team on their day. ...let's pray its not us.....no team in the NRL would have scored against that defiant stand in defence.....that is Manly's hallmark.

Jay M

Jay M

If you did, and you think they are the same Rabble from previous rounds....I'd love to hear about it.

Last week after watching the Roosters, I thought we would lose....this week after watching the Full Manly game....I'm thinking we could get raped (watch the full game if you get the chance).

Manly looked off the pace....then when the niggle started....between Tapau and The Burgi bros....Manly fed off Tapaus moral victory in the smash fest.

The defence Manly rediscovered at sixteen nil down.....shows pride is still their greatest strength....I don't care who is wearing that ugly jersey....it stands for something.

Honestly....they are not the team on paper they appear to be.....they are a fired Manly side well capable of raping any NRL team on their day. ...let's pray its not us.....no team in the NRL would have scored against that defiant stand in defence.....that is Manly's hallmark.

Manly also have a few players who typically lift against us... Matai, Taupau, Brown and a few old wise heads who typically out-think us (Lyon) or out-heart us (Myles)...

That being said - pretty easy blue print to beat Manly. Smash their forward pack and they'll fold ;)

Reactions: 3 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor

Lot of personnel changes from the manly team that constantly has the wood over the warriors. On both sides.

1 win in the last 10 for us against them, 18-16 in 2013 in that brief period where it looked like Supercoach Elliot had fixed us. You have to go all the way back to the little generals one last bit of brilliance in 2009 for another win.

Lolohea, Kata, Lisone, Vete, Tevaga, what do they know of being hammered by the sea eagles repeatedly.

Luke, Sheck, have been part of teams that have disposed of them handily in finals games.

Hoffman, Robson, Ayshford, been around, been a part of wins, been a part of losses.

Its just Brett Stewart (who kills us) and the centre paring left on the Manly side, they are the only ones carrying on the tradition of beating the warriors, different coach too.

We just saw how poor the Roosters have become, they were (another) shit bunker decision from beating manly.

They fired up at home after a bad start against souths, who really don’t ask too many questions if you stand up to the burgess bros.

Turn the page lads, its a different manly, try and be a different warriors for a change.

Sup42

Sup42

Lot of personnel changes from the manly team that constantly has the wood over the warriors. On both sides.

1 win in the last 10 for us against them, 18-16 in 2013 in that brief period where it looked like Supercoach Elliot had fixed us. You have to go all the way back to the little generals one last bit of brilliance in 2009 for another win.

Lolohea, Kata, Lisone, Vete, Tevaga, what do they know of being hammered by the sea eagles repeatedly.

Luke, Sheck, have been part of teams that have disposed of them handily in finals games.

Hoffman, Robson, Ayshford, been around, been a part of wins, been a part of losses.

Its just Brett Stewart (who kills us) and the centre paring left on the Manly side, they are the only ones carrying on the tradition of beating the warriors, different coach too.

We just saw how poor the Roosters have become, they were (another) shit bunker decision from beating manly.

They fired up at home after a bad start against souths, who really don’t ask too many questions if you stand up to the burgess bros.

Turn the page lads, its a different manly, try and be a different warriors for a change.
I agree....change the script.

I'm actually glad we are facing an opponent who will come here...fired up....with Zero fear of the Warriors.

Unlike the Broncos....and Storm....we offer no fear factor to Manly.....to them....after last weeks war with the Rabbits.....this is the perfect time to face their weakest opponent.

If our boys thought the Dragons trial caught them out.....they are about to be forced into a brawl against their class room bully.

Koroisau was ten times more effective than Cherry Evans.....his stepping opened South's at will.....Tapau rampaged over the top of their forwards....and Snake as you pointed out....fired the bastards up.

We are in for one hell of a game.

Manly will throw everything at us.

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
I agree we will need to play well, recent warriors history has us start bad, build into some really good performances, before falling down the other side into shitsville again.

Pattern tends to repeat itself throughout the season.

So do we get 70 minutes (80 is probably too much to ask) of being on the job, or a week of back patting after conjuring an escape and lay an egg in front of the long suffering faithful.

way2sharp

way2sharp

You don't swap around a team to hide a half who won't be here next year - probably won't be here as soon as Tommy Lu is ready.
Manus injury and Kata's potential judiciary put pressure on team selections otherwise for me its just about which forwards will out bully the Scum Eagles, might be time for Gavet to get a run.

Miket12

Miket12

Just heard on RadioSport that Kata hasn't been cited and BlakeA also said that Manu should be good by the weekend to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
RobRoyMcCoy

RobRoyMcCoy

NRL page says Kata cited but can escape suspension with guilty plea. Misses a game if he contests and loses.

It was worth the penalty to smash Ferguson and we won so I reckon plead guilty and play on!

diehard

Neither Robson nor TL will be in the halves next year. So are we putting all of our marbles on winning the comp this year? Doubt it. Need to get Lolo, Lino, or Hingano up to speed in the halves. Or, will we buy another half like Robbo next year? The sooner, the better we can get solidified for the future.

Miket12

Miket12

NRL page says Kata cited but can escape suspension with guilty plea. Misses a game if he contests and loses.

It was worth the penalty to smash Ferguson and we won so I reckon plead guilty and play on!
Sorry, I didn't hear it correctly then - no doubt they were saying he won't be suspended (if he pleads guilty) and I took that the wrong way. Thanks for clearing that up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.