General Pick Your Team 2016 Rnd 19 - Manly vs Warriors

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

The advantage is that the Warriors are used to going to Perth whereas Manly don't often stray outside the Sydney Postcodes.

That should be helpful, depending on attitude.

Jordan G

Last time we played Manly in Perth we led 18-0 and then gave up 3 tries in the final 10-15 minutes to lose.

Good times....good....times

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Probably only Wing may be an issue with the starting lineup. Contenders are Tui, Ken and Manu. I have a cunning plan by having Tui and Ken there.

We need to have coverage and up power the Bench. I would have Manu on the Bench as impact forward and backs cover, he and Tui can cover the backline in case of injury. Roache and Tevaga unlucky.

I wouldn't have Manu as a 'hit it up' player, his role for me is to shadow Shaun Johnson to receive or create gaps.

Matulino is a given, so who gets the other two spots, for me the emphasis is to pick the best defenders, contenders are Gubb, Lisone, Sipley, Gavet, Ogden, and maybe Sao. Using my criteria it is probably Sipley and Lisone. I have taken Sipley as he is not well known and is a weapon. Gubb very unlucky, but the power thing has to be considered.

Reactions: 1 users
Bluecat again

Bluecat again

Perth sucks and so does Manly. I know that it has been said time and again over the years but what the hell are we going to Perth for?
I am not feeling good about this one. I know we should win but it's a bit of a double bogey putting the match against Manly there
Have we ever won at Perth? I'm sure we must have but I can't remember one
But bring it on. I can't wait. Two weeks is too long between games. It's like being a little kid waiting for Xmas to roll around again

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I know that it has been said time and again over the years but what the hell are we going to Perth for?
Teams are given incentives by the NRL to take home games on the road. Penrith to Christchurch is a good example. When it comes to Perth it makes sense for clubs to take us there because of the number of expats living in the area. Guaranteed gate takings.

All about money...

diehard

Probably only Wing may be an issue with the starting lineup. Contenders are Tui, Ken and Manu. I have a cunning plan by having Tui and Ken there.

We need to have coverage and up power the Bench. I would have Manu on the Bench as impact forward and backs cover, he and Tui can cover the backline in case of injury. Roache and Tevaga unlucky.

I wouldn't have Manu as a 'hit it up' player, his role for me is to shadow Shaun Johnson to receive or create gaps.

Matulino is a given, so who gets the other two spots, for me the emphasis is to pick the best defenders, contenders are Gubb, Lisone, Sipley, Gavet, Ogden, and maybe Sao. Using my criteria it is probably Sipley and Lisone. I have taken Sipley as he is not well known and is a weapon. Gubb very unlucky, but the power thing has to be considered.
I would definitely have Manu as a hit-up man. It's what he does best. I'd have him coming off the bench with Mutts as a prop, and have him cover the backline if someone goes down, with someone else on the bench taking his place at prop if that happens. Manu has been inactive for too long. Give him some major minutes as a prop and backline cover. Please don't put him on the wing.

But that won't happen. Cappy will put him in there with Maumalo, with Lolo on the bench as backline cover.

Last edited:
mrblonde

mrblonde

No biggie, we're not picky on where we let that happen. :meh:

Yeah, that's something to kill off the "the conditions/times don't suit the Warriors" argument: We fuck up in any situation the bloody NRL throw at us: Home or away, cold or hot, day or night, 2-3-4-5-6-7-8PM or any half-hour in between, Friday or Saturday or Sunday or Monday...

Stick that up yer jacksie, Wayne Bennett!

Sup42

Sup42

They haven't learned to pace themselves in Perth.

Being the school holidays you'd think this would be a good opportunity for them to take their families over and settle in early, have a bit of down time/enjoy the work trip.

We don't pace ourselves or don't acclimatise over in Perth.

We seem to go well for the first forty minutes and have possibly lead at half time in all our games over there / or close to it.

Mental toughness is what this game is all about.

PLaying a team that bully us, in a setting that has proved testing for the teams resolve.

Hopefully we don't see the Warriors start trying cheat tactics like short kick offs at the Hour mark because they are too gassed to defend a set of six.

This game should tell us a lot about where we are at.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
So if the game is at 3:30pm in Perth does that mean it starts at 7:30pm NZST???

ryno

ryno

So if the game is at 3:30pm in Perth does that mean it starts at 7:30pm NZST???

Yep and before bedtime which is good.

Upload 2016 7 11 15 5 45

diehard

Boyz are arriving on Thursday at 5PM local time. Seemed like they would have done better arriving a few days earlier.