General Pick Your Team 2016 Rnd 16 - Sharks vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this week will show everyone exactly where we actually are. After a few wins against bottom 4 sides and a Broncos team mid-Origin...hopes are high but I still don't think we're a top 8 side, let alone able to compete with the best sides. This game has never traditionally gone well for us even when the Sharks were average. I think they'll put 40 on us if I'm honest.
I wouldn't be surprised but....

While we're crystal ball gazing I see it like this.

If the Warriors field a realistic team (no experimental debuts for Hingano or other fantasy team picks) and they manage to field a fairly stable, experienced side that truly plays to their full potential......

I give the Sharks at home a twelve point start.

A forty point capitulation would mean these blokes are twenty five Hurrell's and Feleti's.

A forty point pounding in my mind would mean not only were we outsmarted (which I'm expecting) Out classed ((Which we are).....it would mean our players are so delusional that they think that other teams in the NRL are static...i.e they would have to be pretty thick or lazy, or gutless not to turn up against what represents the hardest game of the season.

Oh wait.....that's our history hey.

If this lot can't brawl their way out of their lowest ebb ever.....I'm going to stop watching and follow results online only....till all these knobs are all gone from my club.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe Robson and Townsend could have a "sprint off" at the end of the match, like cricket's Mark Richardson used to do...my money's on Robson to win...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I think this week will show everyone exactly where we actually are. After a few wins against bottom 4 sides and a Broncos team mid-Origin...hopes are high but I still don't think we're a top 8 side, let alone able to compete with the best sides. This game has never traditionally gone well for us even when the Sharks were average. I think they'll put 40 on us if I'm honest.
Agree, 40 points at a minimum, this team at this ground holds some bad memories and I'm sure it will be an unseasonable hot day (Jonno to confirm)...

We have improved, I'll give them that, that not enough to beat a top 4 team on a roll....

Reactions: 1 users
Cappy must have held two trains of thought If Shaun Johnson had failed to finish the captains run last week, he brought both Hingano & Wright up from the cup side as an 18 & 19 man giving him the option of either running Tui in the halves with Fusitua dropping back to fullback and Jono Wright coming onto the wing or Ata Hingano into the halves giving him his first grade debut.

If Hingano comes in against the Sharks because of Leuluai's concussion it'd be less disruptive in terms of positional changes within the side, credit to the Roosters defense but clearly our attack was hampered by all those forced positional changes. Were all aware how conservative Cappy is with his selections and maybe a single change at 6 is the conservative option against the Sharks.

Yes Hingano is young/green, it's a big step up to first grade from reserve grade etc, but he will be a first grade player it's just a matter of when. It was largely circumstantial but it was interesting that Griffin decided to blood Nathan Cleary against the Storm in Melbourne, yes they got touched up but it didn't do him any apparent harm, it wasn't a game they were expected to win.

The Sharks at Shark Park falls into the same category and for that reason I'd like to see him selected if Leuluai is ruled out.

Wasn't keen on Ata debuting in this game but gosh darn it, you've convinced me bro. Let the boy play!

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of people calling for Hingano. I haven't seen any of his games this year. Is he really that good?
Probably a bit tough on Tui Lolohea but I wasn't that impressed with him at 6 last week and lots of people have been asking for that too over the last few weeks. I know that he was dropped in it and the Roosters were playing very negative football with their offside play on his side but if 6 is his natural position as so many posters have said I would have expected a bit more from him

I would prefer to see Fusitua on the left wing against the Sharks. He went ok at fullback but he looks the goods out there on the flank
Manu or Maumolo on the other side
TL at standoff if he's fit. A possible hiding isn't a good first up game for anyone and esp. not a confidence player like a half. Hingano will get his chance but not this week
Sipley, Roache/Tevaga, Lillyman and Gubb off the bench. Sipley and Gubb both impressed last week
And the rest pretty much pick themselves so business as usual.

And four in a row is not impossible. Not likely maybe but I will put a few bookie dollars on a Warriors win. I've got a funny feeling about this one. May be just gas, but you never know :)
To answer your question about Hingano 'is he really that good?'

IMO he is quite good at his current level.

Is he really that good to demand NRL selection ?

Its all about context.

If you want to measure him by other NRL clubs standards he is good in lower eight teams.....versus a player that would rarely see rapid elevation in the like of the Sharks 2016,Storm circa the last decade, Manly dito, Roosters dito, wouldn't get quick promo at the Cows / Broncs either....unless those sides were thoroughly depleted....

At the Warriors on the other hand....

The club with the worst alternate halfback track record in the NRL.....he might bring at least as much as TL and Robbo ....with the promise of potential improvement over those two.

People are basically excited because he looks like a baby version of a half who unlike Johnson is more naturalised with space and time (in a NSW Contest he looks more likely to play like a half back and send the ball the right direction).

Personally I haven't seen more from him than some others at the same age ( TL and Isaac John...even Pita Godinet is in the same conversation).

Yet like his predecessors people desperately push his barrow on the basis of imagining that in time he has more.

Compare that to Shaun Johnson.

Shaun Johnson imo is barely any different now to his U20s incarnation....apart from being a way better defender....otherwise he is the very same instinctive player with added better fitness and focus.
The other twelve players around Shaun Johnson have had to adjust to that...ergo at club and international level he has cred.....can....they model themselves around Hingano ?

That really will define the measure/ restrict the reality of his eventual worth.

The player who will define Ata's measure should he stay a Warrior is not him...it is Johnson.

What Johnson needs to workout is that the foil he seeks.....is a guy Johnson must adjust to....not the other way around. I've reversed the thinking of all the Shaun Johnson arguments because we've probably seen enough to look at the problem logically:

Shaun Johnson is the unpredictable motherfucker like the weather after all hey ?

The Warriors and Shaun Johnson's failing has been looking for some psychic mindreader....rather than understand that SJs partner can only control their own game.

Shaun Johnson needs to find a way to adapt in the fashion he did with Foran (whereas Benji did not).

Last edited:
I think we will win this game , In the last game we seemed
to make the right decision, If we play at their end one of
them gives a penalty we take two points , SGH will get
the boys doing the bread an butter things right

Looking forward to this game
Get to see if the boys are serious or not

If you want to measure him by other NRL clubs standards he is good in lower eight teams.....versus a player that would rarely see rapid elevation in the like of the Sharks 2016,Storm circa the last decade, Manly dito, Roosters dito, wouldn't get quick promo at the Cows / Broncs either....unless those sides were thoroughly depleted....
Sharks - Jack Bird, Valentine Holmes
Storm - Billy Slater (03)
Manly - Keiran Foran
Roosters - Mitchell Pearce, Latrell Mitchell
Cowboys - Jason Taumalolo
Broncos - Kodi Nikorima

If you're good enough, you're old enough

Reactions: 3 users
Personally I haven't seen more from him than some others at the same age ( TL and Isaac John...even Pita Godinet is in the same conversation).

Good overall post bro and I see your points.

Personally, I see a bit more in Hingano than in John and Shaun Johnson at the same age (I didn't see enough of Godinet at a young age to compare him).

My comparisons of the three:
John and Johnson played behind a truly dominating forward pack in the early years of the U20s where the pack would usually roll forward 60-70 metres a set, and often score tries in the same set from receiving at the kick-off. Hingano on the other hand has come into the club when our U20s side has probably been the weakest it's ever been (or close to anyway), and has still looked sharp and guided the team round well. In terms of at NSW Cup level - I didn't see enough of John/Johnson at the NSW Cup level to make a direct comparison there. However, Hingano has looked better than Robson and Lino in recent weeks. Robson who has played 165 NRL games (including a few this year).

In terms of skillsets between Hingano, Johnson and John:
Hingano is the most balanced of the three IMO. Johnson exuded x-factor at the same age (who doesn't remember when he came into first grade and scored that try against the Broncos). Hingano balances his x-factor with more control and organisation, but still has a lethal step and chooses to use it at great times. John was possibly a better organiser (difficult to compare that given the differences in teammates round a player), and Hingano probably has a better kicking game for his age than Shaun Johnson, (and maybe John too).

For me, the problem isn't about their skillsets and which of the three has what they need. For me, it's about the club and the fact they have had three young halves who all could have gone on to be the next Ben Hunt (or better), and yet our development hasn't given them what they needed. John was released too early (halves don't hit their peak and mature until a bit later, and organising halves later still - Cronk didn't peak until around 30ish IMO), and TBH, I think John and Johnson would have been a great halves combination right now if we'd kept John and allowed him to develop. Johnson still has gaps in his game and still goes missing at times - like everyone here, I love watching him play, but he struggles with the organisational aspect of first grade. Fingers crossed Hingano continues to develop and is given the opportunities he needs to become the player he can be.

Should Hingano debut now? In an ideal world, no. He should be given more time to develop skills and aspects of his game. I love the fact he's been playing NSW Cup all year against men and guys who have played NRL. That being said, if Leuluai is out - will the balance of our side suffer with Lolohea at five eighth? Possibly - I don't know the answer - Lolohea didn't offer a lot at the weekend IMO. I would probably prefer to see how we go with Lolohea at five eighth than Hingano. But if the option is to keep Lolohea at the back, and play Robson... well I'd rather see Hingano make his debut. Even if we lose, it will at least give us a realistic chance to assess where his game is at.

That being said, I wouldn't want him defending on the left edge...

Also, McFadden is conservative. I can't see him picking Hingano right now anyway. He'll go with Lolohea or Robson if Leuluai is ruled out. (not sure where we stand on the second tier cap for more debuts either TBH).

Reactions: 3 users
To answer your question about Hingano 'is he really that good?'

IMO he is quite good at his current level.
"quite good" - he's in top 3 halves in the ISP comp (only behind Mitch Cornish and Nu Brown IMO, and you could argue he's better than both of them also) yet he's only 19.

I think the jump from NSW cup to NRL is less than what people are making it out to be, had he come straight from U20's then I'd agree, but he's spent 1 and a half seasons in NSW cup.

Warriors fans have every reason to be just as excited about Ata as they were about Johnson.
Personally I think he's one of the missing pieces to helping the team become a consistent footy side and not just one that can show up every once in a while

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
They used to say that UNC basketball coach was the only person that could keep Michael Jordan under 20 points because of the team concept and the way the Tar Heels played. Well, the only person that can "tackle" Ata from getting to FG is Cappy. Come on Cappy. I mean, if Lolo was brilliant at 6, I'd understand. But to trot out Robbo and Lulu and not play Hingano? Come on, Cappy. Show Chad that we don't miss him.

Lolo
Fusitua
Ashyford
Kata
Manu/Kenny Boy
Ata
Shauny J
Bull
Luke
Matulino
Thompson
Hoff
Mannering

ROBSON
Lisone
Vete
Gavet

We need to muscle up to win this one, the Sharks pack has been dominating all year. Robo on the bench for Roache, we need him for experience more than anything. Can sub on for Luke for 20 minutes if needed, or Ata if he feels the heat.

Cappy has a hard on for a back/hooker utility on the bench, so doubt it would happen.

Good overall post bro and I see your points.

Personally, I see a bit more in Hingano than in John and Shaun Johnson at the same age (I didn't see enough of Godinet at a young age to compare him).

My comparisons of the three:
John and Johnson played behind a truly dominating forward pack in the early years of the U20s where the pack would usually roll forward 60-70 metres a set, and often score tries in the same set from receiving at the kick-off. Hingano on the other hand has come into the club when our U20s side has probably been the weakest it's ever been (or close to anyway), and has still looked sharp and guided the team round well. In terms of at NSW Cup level - I didn't see enough of John/Johnson at the NSW Cup level to make a direct comparison there. However, Hingano has looked better than Robson and Lino in recent weeks. Robson who has played 165 NRL games (including a few this year).

In terms of skillsets between Hingano, Johnson and John:
Hingano is the most balanced of the three IMO. Johnson exuded x-factor at the same age (who doesn't remember when he came into first grade and scored that try against the Broncos). Hingano balances his x-factor with more control and organisation, but still has a lethal step and chooses to use it at great times. John was possibly a better organiser (difficult to compare that given the differences in teammates round a player), and Hingano probably has a better kicking game for his age than Shaun Johnson, (and maybe John too).

For me, the problem isn't about their skillsets and which of the three has what they need. For me, it's about the club and the fact they have had three young halves who all could have gone on to be the next Ben Hunt (or better), and yet our development hasn't given them what they needed. John was released too early (halves don't hit their peak and mature until a bit later, and organising halves later still - Cronk didn't peak until around 30ish IMO), and TBH, I think John and Johnson would have been a great halves combination right now if we'd kept John and allowed him to develop. Johnson still has gaps in his game and still goes missing at times - like everyone here, I love watching him play, but he struggles with the organisational aspect of first grade. Fingers crossed Hingano continues to develop and is given the opportunities he needs to become the player he can be.

Should Hingano debut now? In an ideal world, no. He should be given more time to develop skills and aspects of his game. I love the fact he's been playing NSW Cup all year against men and guys who have played NRL. That being said, if Leuluai is out - will the balance of our side suffer with Lolohea at five eighth? Possibly - I don't know the answer - Lolohea didn't offer a lot at the weekend IMO. I would probably prefer to see how we go with Lolohea at five eighth than Hingano. But if the option is to keep Lolohea at the back, and play Robson... well I'd rather see Hingano make his debut. Even if we lose, it will at least give us a realistic chance to assess where his game is at.

That being said, I wouldn't want him defending on the left edge...

Also, McFadden is conservative. I can't see him picking Hingano right now anyway. He'll go with Lolohea or Robson if Leuluai is ruled out. (not sure where we stand on the second tier cap for more debuts either TBH).
Compelling reading.

I don't like this game.

Feels like a bloodbath coming.

Hopefully we can stand against it and lay a few to waist ourselves.

I just think its a hospital pass for Ata's start.

The Warriors have failed miserably in preparing a halves combination.

The onus is on the club in terms of this promising talents long term plan to get their Careers off to a fair start.

Barring a miracle the Warriors lose this.

I think they need to show patience and wait till the coming weeks where they will be playing in games where there is a contest before they use a player like Hingano.

In terms of the top eight this is one of the few games left to them where a loss is not unexpected.

There are so many win able games from here.

i would roll out Robson, he looked solid in his last albeit distant appearance for the Warriors.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.