General Phil Gould

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
His idea looks pretty impressive about combining contracts, legal issues, finance, player welfare into one package and being a one stop for players.

If I was a player that would appeal to me.
This is pretty revolutionary, the game'll never be the same. That's probly a good thing. Eventually he'll get every player in the NRL on his books and it'll just be Phil mastercoaching himself if you get my drift, I think you do.

Last edited:

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
The full service is interesting but the way some of the players talk they are getting that from other managers. I have seen articles with players firing or wanting to change agents due to bad financial advice.

Some players change managers due to not hearing from the guy until contract time. I'd laugh if we see articles about the guy providing the full service that they won't get anywhere else gets sacked as they don't hear from him. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens if he gets some big names under him and some up and comers or journeymen hardly hear from him.

Reactions: bruce

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
I wonder if each one of his players comes with a five year plan 🙄...
Make them all sign 5 year contracts the total opposite of his signing strategy as a Manager of Football at the Panthers. I can't see Gould lasting long as an agent, it seems like a good idea but he's old and also comes off as a guy with a short attention span.

If this goes ahead we will hear a lot of whining about the salary cap and the NRL contracting system. Wait he does that anyway.

Reactions: Worried2Death

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 12, 2017
The full service is interesting but the way some of the players talk they are getting that from other managers. I have seen articles with players firing or wanting to change agents due to bad financial advice.

Some players change managers due to not hearing from the guy until contract time. I'd laugh if we see articles about the guy providing the full service that they won't get anywhere else gets sacked as they don't hear from him. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens if he gets some big names under him and some up and comers or journeymen hardly hear from him.
Don't know if I agree with that. I think he would have a group of people under him who would deal with the lesser/less prestigious players.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I thought the main requirement for a player agent was to be a prize arsehole, who was so low lawyers jokes would seem respectable. That isn't Phil Gould.

Reactions: Murraytd

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I thought the main requirement for a player agent was to be a prize arsehole, who was so low lawyers jokes would seem respectable. That isn't Phil Gould.
I could see a role for Gould on the Integrity and judiciary. (Take cover).

• Haha

Murraytd

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 5, 2014
Brisbane
Sure would have the knowledge from both sides of the table, and would have unlimited access to all the right areas. However, is a control freak and would end up coaching the players, can't see that many coaches being interested in his players knowing the destabilising factor he would bring to the equation.