Staff Phil Gould

I like the part in his press conference yesterday when he accidently slip and said "its sad when a coach is let go, I mean resigns" :rolleyes:

Pretty obvious that after magic round he called Barret and said you're out, how do you want to go? we can fire you or you can say you resigned, get a nice fat golden handshake but you must sign this confidentiality agreement to never speak about how it went down.

I think it will be a lot harder than most think for the Dogs to get a good coach under Gus. Maybe Flanno since he resigned from his TV gig straight after the news about Barret broke but those two will deff butt heads or get along like a house on fire.

Reactions: 9 users
I like the part in his press conference yesterday when he accidently slip and said "its sad when a coach is let go, I mean resigns" :rolleyes:

Pretty obvious that after magic round he called Barret and said you're out, how do you want to go? we can fire you or you can say you resigned, get a nice fat golden handshake but you must sign this confidentiality agreement to never speak about how it went down.

I think it will be a lot harder than most think for the Dogs to get a good coach under Gus. Maybe Flanno since he resigned from his TV gig straight after the news about Barret broke but those two will deff butt heads or get along like a house on fire.
The latest one I heard had ciraldo going to the dogs- If true it makes me wonder what flanagans plans are....

Reactions: 3 users

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Yes, dodged a bullet as I don’t believe he would have stayed in his lane once development pathways were established.

I think if you look back at his comments over time, he makes his mind up on the lack of suitability of said Coach and therefore that Coach has to go. He was responsible for sacking Cleary, Griffon and bringing back Cleary all ahead of tenures’ end, costing the Panthers millions of dollars which he didn’t hesitate to spend.

He is a walking hypocrisy.

Those funds directly correlated to decisions or indecision on his behalf.

He likes the narrative of a ‘tired’ or ‘fatigued’ Coach which are sometimes bound by non-disclosure based payouts. Ivan wasn’t - so was very quick to deny he was fatigued and claimed he could quite happily go on but needed freedom from interference - ie Gould.

Barrett won’t have the chance to defend his label (felt he didn’t have the solutions to get the Team out of their fix) so Gould’s narrative is once again protected by Barret’s $500k non-disclosure based payout. A sure sign for me he was sacked and won’t have a chance to balance the narrative.

I feel the root cause is an out of control ego, combined with some genuine football knowledge or expertise wrapped in a personality who is convinced he knows best, and alternate views are wrong.

This creates and environment which any Coach will struggle to deliver clarity of message - young or old as we’ve seen with Griffin, Cleary and Barrett.

Penrith didn’t succeed until they moved him on (despite the good work Gould did with the pathways).

Good luck to the Dogs and whoever comes in next - I’m sure if they follow Gould’s blueprint they’ll improve but not succeed.

Reactions: 6 users
Yes, dodged a bullet as I don’t believe he would have stayed in his lane once development pathways were established.

I think if you look back at his comments over time, he makes his mind up on the lack of suitability of said Coach and therefore that Coach has to go. He was responsible for sacking Cleary, Griffon and bringing back Cleary all ahead of tenures’ end, costing the Panthers millions of dollars which he didn’t hesitate to spend.

He likes the narrative of a ‘tired’ or ‘fatigued’ Coach which are sometimes bound by non-disclosure based payouts. Ivan wasn’t - so was very quick to deny he was fatigued and claimed he could quite happily go on but needed freedom from interference - ie Gould.

Barrett won’t have the chance to defend his label (felt he didn’t have the solutions to get the Team out of their fix) so Gould’s narrative is once again protected by Barret’s $500k non-disclosure based payout. A sure sign for me he was sacked and won’t have a chance to balance the narrative.

I feel the root cause is an out of control ego, combined with some genuine football knowledge or expertise wrapped in a personality who is convinced he knows best, and alternate views are wrong.

This creates and environment which any Coach will struggle to deliver clarity of message - young or old as we’ve seen with Griffin, Cleary and Barrett.

Penrith didn’t succeed until they moved him on (despite the good work Gould did with the pathways).

Good luck to the Dogs and whoever comes in next - I’m sure if they follow Gould’s blueprint they’ll improve but not succeed.
I hope Barrett fights them legally for his own sake, how does it help Barrett to sign non disclosures for a payout? They have to pay him out anyways right? Now he can't blame the club for pushing him out and that will surely hurt him even more trying to find the next job.

They painted him out to be a quiter!

The latest one I heard had ciraldo going to the dogs- If true it makes me wonder what flanagans plans are....

I don't think Ciraldo is that stupid.

He's mates with Barrett, and although he has been given money to keep his silence, I'm sure he would have known what Barrett has been dealing with.

They have some decent signings for next season, but with the rumours of TPJ and Burton wanting out ASAP, that sort of cancels that out.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope Barrett fights them legally for his own sake, how does it help Barrett to sign non disclosures for a payout? They have to pay him out anyways right? Now he can't blame the club for pushing him out and that will surely hurt him even more trying to find the next job.

It’s better to play the game and talk positively of the previous club - even if your having to lie through your teeth. It’s the professional way.

You fight them in court and the next employer knows you will do the same to them and you really harm your job prospects!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I'm not sure if Steve Hansen is still involved with the dogs but he came out today and said it was the wrong decision. He had big wraps on Baz, but then again I think it was Baz who reached out to him to get involved with the club in the first place. He could be just sticking up for his mate

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor

i thought it was telling when the commentators mentioned during a game, looking into the coaches box - I wonder if they can get any more in there (or some such). Ref was about TB and Gould both being in there and wondering who the players were actually listening to .

Reactions: 1 user

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
So thankful Covid saved us from Phil Gould's helpful interference. Personally I feel he always has an agenda & it usually ends with some poor sod getting shafted.
Was never a fan of Cleary but I admired the way he stood up to Gould. The Panthers are proving that was a good move. Phil Gould has shown himself to be a poison best avoided imo & not a great representative for our game.
i think in this case his helpful interference was part of the purchase. He and NB were a bit of a package deal as i remember it. They are mates and NB seemed quite happy to have Gould involved

So how this works is that Barrett gets paid shit load more for keeping his mouth shut then he would if he just got fired.

Barrett won't coach again in the NRL so they know he needs the money.

Gould while being involved a lot he has very direct approach to getting results. At whatever costs necessary and his actions from his position held is difficult to argue those actions arent for the benefit of the club they are always a time will tell proposition.

Barretts first year was with a poor team across the board. Second year they got recruits but hardly any in positions they needed eg. Engine room props, a class hooker and dymanic edge forwards. All of which he was getting next year and now hisbhard work is undone. And he never gets the chance to work with the roster he has built.

Why Gould sacked Cleary in the first place was a mystery and the only reason they hired him back was because Nathan was likely to link back with his dad at the Tigers if they didnt.

We'll officially he quit, so in that case they don't have to pay him out. Everyone knows he was pushed so I think they've given him a payout anyway to keep him quiet.. Gus is trying to save face by saying Trent quit 10 days after he said Baz isn't going anywhere, a payout was probably a handshake agreement to save Gus's arse.

Reactions: 1 users