Staff Phil Gould

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Imagine having Phil Gould as the General Manager of the Warriors..

Now wake the f**k up and don't shit the bed as you realise you're dreaming and Cameron George is not stepping down for any mf!!
Exactly! Why couldn't the warriors offer a different role so he could be more close to the club? Huge sigh warriors! Ruin my weekend for the tenth time this year😤

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
yea really disappointed we have lost gould. As everyone else has stated, why couldnt we offer a general manager of football role?? No one better and available that would be a perfect fit for the role. Felt like Gould and POS were the point of difference for our team and were building nicely. Our front office seems to be fine and cant do much more with the covid situation. Our problems lie in the football department. Im not confident in our coaching staff to get any better. We need a leader in that department. Wayne Bennett would be our man but doubt he would want to come to the warriors.

Canadian_WarriorFan

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 13, 2013
Here's the link to his speech on 9.
Underneath the spin, it's an acknowledgement it hasn't worked and everyone is moving on.

TBH, if you take things at face value (I know :) makes sense. He wasn't able to do the things he wanted to because of COVID and Bulldogs gave an offer that worked for Gould. Sure it sucks that we can't keep the guy but I don't blame the Warriors and Phil.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
With the owner taking such measures to get Gould onboard, surely he hasn’t seen changes where he thinks such knowledge isn’t necessary anymore. Gould was for pathways and juniors but it isn’t translating to the team and results. The role Gould’s taken at the bulldogs is the one he should have been with us. Surely there’s things going on behind the scenes.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Covid aye.

Stinking Covid probably is not done with us yet either unfortunately.

It has certainly hit the NRL, Players losing their jobs due to idiot behviour, Warriors losing their homes, Warriors losing games while two starters are in Iso.

We lose our home game.

Now we lose Phil.

Like I say, it is probably not done its worst yet, worse case being the comp collapses this season ends and that is all we get.

Actually that is not the worst, the worst is the NRL going broke from it and having to cut the Warrors for budget reasons.

Don't think it will get that bad, but I am sure we will have some more curve balls.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Covid aye.

Stinking Covid probably is not done with us yet either unfortunately.

It has certainly hit the NRL, Players losing their jobs due to idiot behviour, Warriors losing their homes, Warriors losing games while two starters are in Iso.

We lose our home game.

Now we lose Phil.

Like I say, it is probably not done its worst yet, worse case being the comp collapses this season ends and that is all we get.

Actually that is not the worst, the worst is the NRL going broke from it and having to cut the Warrors for budget reasons.

Don't think it will get that bad, but I am sure we will have some more curve balls.
Now all the teams are in Queensland where the Govt.have quickly applied restrictions & lockdowns it will only need one F-up from one player to see the whole NRL shut down

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
He was only a consultant, but his influence and presence was a massive boost for our club. It's such a massive shame, and to be honest, it really is almost impossible to do his role with the club with COVID, especially with this latest outbreak. It could be another 1-2 years before he could travel to NZ freely without worrying about getting stuck. Pretty hard to do your job in that situation.

COVID has hit our club more than any other club. It's hit our development pathways, the players, families, fans and the management team. We haven't had a home game for almost 2 years.

It feels as though the last month we have been hit with the reality of their situation, and the results on field reflect that.

Teeps4Shore

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 17, 2021
Let’s not shit the bed here. His role was around junior pathways and development and he can’t freely travel. It restricts his impact. I’m sure Mowhawk and him have a handshake agreement to release him (for the next couple of years) to sort out the dogs who are shot to bits with infighting and politics. The key bit is he still will work with us on an ad hoc basis.

this arrangement can’t work under COVID conditions, a situation likely to be with us until 2023. Get prepared for no home games in 2022 as well. Until NZ and AU are vaccinated, this is the reality we face.

I wish him well at the dogs. I suspect we are in much better shape as a club than we know - first grade squad coming together, front house ok… look we have everything in place now bar a few more tweaks to be successful.

Mohawk isn’t fucking around here - he wants us to win and be a top club and I am sure this is happening, all be it COVID has made it difficult to fire on all cylinders

our culture is good. Our players have shown to be tight knit and whist results haven’t been as good as we have hoped, this club is on the rise. We are in good shape. Our people and players care. That’s a really good sign.

Gould has a soft spot for the Warriors and I will not be surprised to see him back here in a couple of years when all of this settles down in some capacity.

don’t be surprised if we appoint an director of football that he has helped line up for us for 2022. Given the tone of the announcement, he won’t have left us in the lurch.

visguy

Waterboy
Jul 11, 2013
Let’s not shit the bed here. His role was around junior pathways and development and he can’t freely travel. It restricts his impact. I’m sure Mowhawk and him have a handshake agreement to release him (for the next couple of years) to sort out the dogs who are shot to bits with infighting and politics. The key bit is he still will work with us on an ad hoc basis.

this arrangement can’t work under COVID conditions, a situation likely to be with us until 2023. Get prepared for no home games in 2022 as well. Until NZ and AU are vaccinated, this is the reality we face.

I wish him well at the dogs. I suspect we are in much better shape as a club than we know - first grade squad coming together, front house ok… look we have everything in place now bar a few more tweaks to be successful.

Mohawk isn’t fucking around here - he wants us to win and be a top club and I am sure this is happening, all be it COVID has made it difficult to fire on all cylinders

our culture is good. Our players have shown to be tight knit and whist results haven’t been as good as we have hoped, this club is on the rise. We are in good shape. Our people and players care. That’s a really good sign.

Gould has a soft spot for the Warriors and I will not be surprised to see him back here in a couple of years when all of this settles down in some capacity.

don’t be surprised if we appoint an director of football that he has helped line up for us for 2022. Given the tone of the announcement, he won’t have left us in the lurch.
Hi there great post a well thought out summary

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
So does this weaken Brownies position?
Dead Man Walking unless he can pull some new coaching tricks out of his proverbial, I have no inside knowledge but expect that without Gould he is probably a lone voice explaining how things are getting better while the management will only be looking at the results and seeing things go from bad to worse. POS probably has a lot of influence and I doubt he is supporting him as that could undermine his own work in getting the right people here.
Expect he will get until mid next year to show some serious progress but that might change if we finish bottom four with the team he has to work with and the easy(ish) run home.
So yeah, I think Gould moving on destabilises him for sure.

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Dead Man Walking unless he can pull some new coaching tricks out of his proverbial, I have no inside knowledge but expect that without Gould he is probably a lone voice explaining how things are getting better while the management will only be looking at the results and seeing things go from bad to worse. POS probably has a lot of influence and I doubt he is supporting him as that could undermine his own work in getting the right people here.
Expect he will get until mid next year to show some serious progress but that might change if we finish bottom four with the team he has to work with and the easy(ish) run home.
So yeah, I think Gould moving on destabilises him for sure.
i reckon he has a few rounds into next year to bring an "entertaining" brand of football. Otherwise they will line up a replacement. Now that could be dependent on who the assistants are next year.
in saying that if they bring an expert in to replace Gould or get a head of football or what ever that could change depending on the relationship they have to brown

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Underneath the spin, it's an acknowledgement it hasn't worked and everyone is moving on.
I didn't hear that.

I heard that he would have loved the job but covid is stuffing it up big time, he loves our club and will continue to support it.

I don't think that will stop him signing juniors for the Bulldogs but we definitely have a friend in a high place that we didn't have before.

Gould has been to a few clubs and has never lost his loyalty, especially to the Rorters. He is passionate about the game and sees NZ and the Warriors as really important to it. So I am not worried about that part, at all.

I really feel sorry for Robinson and Autex. WTF would have signed on for this shite, but he and they have balls and they will do their best to sort it.

Also, Blair and Iro were always noted as very professional players. I for one was very disappointed in Blair's performance on the field for our club, but I have no doubt that he tried his best off the field to engender a professional attitude.

Like with with Iro, people don't change and Tony was a very intelligent, passionate and forthright supporter of the club. After he got shafted by Mad Mick Watson I think he lost a bit of spark with the organisation i.e. why smash your head against a block wall, at least it is a job.

As for Stacey his attitude goes without saying.

As everybody knows I regard Eric Watson as a cancer to our club, and now that the crook is long gone things can only improve.

I still don't rate Brown as a coach though...just saying like.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
if they bring an expert in to replace Gould or get a head of football or what ever that could change depending on the relationship they have to brown
Gould was almost in tears on that clip. He is a very loyal person. He will do whatever he can to help the club, as long as it doesn't clash with the Bulldogs.

He has a world of contacts, if you can remember back to when Ivan Cleary was poached to Penrith it came out that he had been texting Ivan for years. The saying goes that Gould always get what he wants, well he will not want the Warriors to go down.

What worries me is I can see at least one more season with no games at MSS. Not only is that going to cost Autex money, but only the true blue fans are going to stick around...that will be the true test.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings