Staff Phil Gould

Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
May 29, 2012
Sydney
Well that didn't seem to work so good last night. Early days...............

He tweeted till his thumbs were sore in response to the Eels and Dragons game.

One mention of the warriors when he was asked, and in that reply he said he only watched parts of the game.

(in his defence he may have been travelling).

He got called out on it though and his "Every waking moment working on the Warriors" statement.

Lets hope he watches the replay.

gubbbs

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 26, 2016
After you mentioned it I had a look at his twitter. Actually a bit bizarre how much there is about Dragons/Eeels and basically nothing about our game.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
I would be surprised if Gus is going to be out using his media platform to question refs in Warriors games. I don't remember him doing it when he was at Penrith, as the optics just don't look great when you're alligned with that club. It's a lot easier for him to poke holes at refs/bunker when it's not a club he's alligned with. That's just my opinion, happy to be proved wrong.

Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
May 29, 2012
Sydney
I would be surprised if Gus is going to be out using his media platform to question refs in Warriors games. I don't remember him doing it when he was at Penrith, as the optics just don't look great when you're alligned with that club. It's a lot easier for him to poke holes at refs/bunker when it's not a club he's alligned with. That's just my opinion, happy to be proved wrong.

We paid for a cuntsoltant ... i want him to get fired up.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Doesn't he write a weekly column? Would expect we get mentioned in that.

Also, I have a feeling all the commentators are encouraged to not fire up or spend too much time criticising officials
He does a podcast I used to listen to on occasion "Set of six with Gus" with James Bracey the 9 host. Dislike him as a commentator, but enjoy when he's just talking footy.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Gould is not a magic bullet that's going to use his position in the media to fix every injustice, bias, cure cancer, eliminate hunger etc

I think we need to temper expectations.

If he can get the Warriors, NZRL and ARL on the same page to help produce better quality youths sooner that will be a minor miracle in itself.

Anything else is a bonus.

gubbbs

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 26, 2016
Doesn't need to be a magic bullet just needs to raise the profile of the issue. It really is an issue. Cleary raised it for the panthers last week and we suffered for it. The only thing that will fix it is pressure (or two refs calling everything they see like early 2018...).

Reactions: wizards rage

DANZ

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 3, 2013
The thing I love about the Gould appointment is how he has come out and said he wants to grow our local coaches.

There’s a reason why Kearney and Peyton have said we don’t have many true footballers in our team and that’s because the pathways our Kiwi boys generally come through are with coaches who are very much volunteers who don’t necessarily understand how to teach skills, tactics and attitudes required for quality footy.

I for one have reached out to ARL and the Warriors to request more work with our coaches. The ARL tries but I don’t think they have people who get it either, the Warriors had nothing.

To me it makes more sense training up coaches than it does just focusing on players. If you get the Warriors helping coaches then those coaches will naturally promote the Warriors as an option for their players. In turn, training up coaches means you would likely get a greater pool of players to choose from with the skills, attitudes and understandings required to play tough footy instead of just the one or two out and out athletes from each team.

Phil Gould if you’re reading or if anyone has a contact please get in touch, I’m keen to learn!

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Doesn't need to be a magic bullet just needs to raise the profile of the issue. It really is an issue. Cleary raised it for the panthers last week and we suffered for it. The only thing that will fix it is pressure (or two refs calling everything they see like early 2018...).

Early 2018 we got some very favourable calls in games against the Raiders, Dragons, Bunnies that could have resulted in different outcomes.

Let's not be those fans who scream up and down about every injustice while ignoring the times when we benefit.

Guvna Mac

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 26, 2015
Early 2018 we got some very favourable calls in games against the Raiders, Dragons, Bunnies that could have resulted in different outcomes.

Let's not be those fans who scream up and down about every injustice while ignoring the times when we benefit.

Cmon man i watch a lot of footy and yes all teams have been on the rough end of the pineapple occasionally but none get shafted like our boys systemically. How many times has the refs boss had to apologise to our club after a howler that has cost us victory in the last couple of years! I admit sometimes we get a favourable reffed game but geez it aint that often.

Flaco

Warriors Bench Player
Jan 7, 2020
The thing I love about the Gould appointment is how he has come out and said he wants to grow our local coaches.

There’s a reason why Kearney and Peyton have said we don’t have many true footballers in our team and that’s because the pathways our Kiwi boys generally come through are with coaches who are very much volunteers who don’t necessarily understand how to teach skills, tactics and attitudes required for quality footy.

I for one have reached out to ARL and the Warriors to request more work with our coaches. The ARL tries but I don’t think they have people who get it either, the Warriors had nothing.

To me it makes more sense training up coaches than it does just focusing on players. If you get the Warriors helping coaches then those coaches will naturally promote the Warriors as an option for their players. In turn, training up coaches means you would likely get a greater pool of players to choose from with the skills, attitudes and understandings required to play tough footy instead of just the one or two out and out athletes from each team.

Phil Gould if you’re reading or if anyone has a contact please get in touch, I’m keen to learn!
Good points. I think that the ARL and NZRL is aware of the urgent need to upskill coaches. Coaches mostly start as volunteers. Some prove successful on their native wit and intelligence; others continue to coach in their own idiosyncratic ways; some get gigs on account of who they know; some on account of whether they played professionally. The educational pathway is invisible to coaches because there is no single formal coaching credential pathway, or at least none that every coach is expected to travel, and none which is as long as a coach wishes to travel.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings