Post Match 2023 Penrith vs Warriors - Week 1 Finals (Post Match)

vs

-

MATCH COMPLETE

01 Jan 1970

Match Stats

Tries
Conversions
/ Field Goals /
/ 2P Field Goals /
Try Assists
% Possession %
/ Set Completion /
Time in Opposition Half
Metres Gained
Dropouts
Dummy Half Runs
/ Kicks/Kick Metres /
40/20
20/40
Offloads
1 on 1 Steals
Line Breaks
Line Break Assists
Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Rate the Match !

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
The best thing about yesterday is now the whole team has finals experience.

They will be much better prepared for next week’s game.

Come home, reset, sleep in their own beds, train well, run out in front of the home crowd. The return of SJ

3 more games

We pretty much fucked it from the start.offsude on the first kick chase is what webby singled out.

Little things.
Their first try was just after that, set up by an offside kick chase from them identical to ours but not pulled up.

They were allowed a lot of latitude in the ruck to fuck around, they are very good at that and then 4th, 5th tackle if they have kept you in your 30m they back off to avoid a 6 again - smart.

10m - pffft

Block runners on their kicks - ho hum

Also would have liked a slow mo replay on that try down the sideline, am sure there was an arm touch the sideline.

Sure they were better but it's a lot easier to be better when you have all the ball.

Yes I am one eyed but Gee only uses half an eye.

We just got to get better and better so the calls go out way.

No Inruin comments allowed.

Not too disappointed and to me there's some tactics in the selection and game plan.

Webby would know the Panthers very very well. He knew what was coming and would have prepared accordingly.

SJ aside, we probably just weren't at the same level or good enough. Not a criticism, just facts that no amount of whnging about selections, ruck interference, offside or Mr Gee will dilute.

We've done well this year. In fact, so well we get another shot at the title with a home game next week. Unbelievable after the debacle of the last few years and we ain't finished yet. Plus the bonus of the reggies doing their thing.

As I said at the start, maybe some tactics by the coaches with the TMM/Walker combo instead of Ronaldo. Once they knew SJ was doubtful and more importantly could break down if he plays next week, might be better insurance to give what could be an in game positional switch some practice. Just a thought.

Dunno whether anybody else saw it but both Tohu and AFB were arguing with the refs about the Penrith 10 metres tonight.
We did not get many restarts, maybe 1 or two and we were able to roll up field and get in attacking position. Otherwise we are just kicking from the 40/50 and they’re getting back…..we need some dummy play to catch them offside as they’re like the all blacks/crusaders of old. Too good to get caught/ref unwilling to penalise a dominant team. The dark arts, and very hard to break down with the quality they have

We did not get many restarts, maybe 1 or two and we were able to roll up field and get in attacking position. Otherwise we are just kicking from the 40/50 and they’re getting back…..we need some dummy play to catch them offside as they’re like the all blacks/crusaders of old. Too good to get caught/ref unwilling to penalise a dominant team. The dark arts, and very hard to break down with the quality they have
Thought Egan tried to catch markers not square all day and got no joy, as soon as we got the inside the 10 penalty against us straight away I didn’t think we would see any 50/50 calls go our way. Panthers at another level but our defence was excellent under constant pressure.

You know if you just bring in Volkman in to replace Johnson you cause a lot less structural changes and get someone that can actually kick.

With the team we rolled out:
TMM switched to the right side - New defensive combination
Walker on the left - New defensive combination, lose middle play off the bench, bench reduced with Lussick added

Don't know what the reason was in the end, surely if there was a smidgen of doubt in Johnson you would have had added Volkman to the extended bench.
Ryno
Someone responded to me earlier that Volkman could not play for some reason
Does anyone havre more info on that ?
I agree with your points and will double down that walker has been pants all year at stand off
Webster has been getting that wrong for once ie having faith in walker

lol blaming the coach is laughable.
only thing I’ve ever second guessed webby about is ford over Curran. But he’s got them up and going so what do I know, could be an attitude thing.

That game was just frustrating because warriors never got a chance to play like we know they can. We definitely won in spells during that game , and we weren’t too bad close to the line. Defense was immense for large periods too. (Although disappointing when some players gave up towards the end)

Don’t get me started on the to’o try or the ruck. Every top tier team is bending the officials their way, we need to be able to counteract that. This is what guys like Reynolds, Cameron smith, Munster are really good at.

Anyway, fk Penrith…
The coach is the only person who can be blamed...

Did the players lack effort? Did they show no resilience? No they played their guts out. What we lacked was any semblance of a game plan. Going through the motions we normally would, was always going to end in defeat.

Webby picked a mobile bench and then never used an mobile attacking game plan.

Was just watching the replay and at the point where Peachey stayed in the ruck, even Flanagan went as far as to say he thought it should have been a penalty. Then a dubious challenge that looked as though a panther touched it but our challenge was retained. At 20-6 after just scoring, if we get that penalty we’re entitled to there’s a possibility we can mount some pressure. Instead they go and score after the challenge is unsuccessful. We were given nothing.

My biggest takeaway from yesterday's game is how easy it is to manipulate a penalty nowadays, it seems if the crowd makes enough noise and sufficient players throw their hands up the ref will find a penalty in the set. It farks me off as much as Liam Martin does!

Last edited:
The coach is the only person who can be blamed...

Did the players lack effort? Did they show no resilience? No they played their guts out. What we lacked was any semblance of a game plan. Going through the motions we normally would, was always going to end in defeat.

Webby picked a mobile bench and then never used an mobile attacking game plan.
the coach got us to top 4 in the first place.

is it coach's fault that the ref allowed penrith right of way in the ruck? or a ref who can rule knocks on and accidental offsides on the fly that the bunker can't see? or the bunker can't seem to see to'o grounding a ball short and rolling it over the line?

is it coach's fault we don't have a half capable of kicking distance to get us out of trouble, something we've relied on all year with johnson?

was it webby's gameplan to complete at 72%? lower than penrith?
was it's webby's gameplan to have twice as many errors and missed tackles as penrith? Can't blame the coach for knocking on to start the second half in our own end.

come off it... we're 4th over 15th last year with much the same side. The difference is the coach. Loads went against us that game, before the game even kicked off. We needed a lot going our way to beat penrith, and it didn't. We didn't even get to see the warriors play the game we've seen them play. Maybe if they did and we got beat I'd be more inclined to look at the coach but until then.... Jazz can you please stop dropping the ball on our own 10 metre thanks

Pre game I thought that there must have been a clear game plan to take advantage of our midget bench. Well, there must have been, right?

I guess we were forced to play a style that we didn't want to by a very good Panthers team.

Bench balance and timing of interchanges have been sorely lacking for a while now. How many times must we see pointless interchanges too late in the game or players not used at all! Where are the learnings?! Frustrating.

Back