Staff Peter O'Sullivan

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
In the past who have been the Warriors recruitment managers? Or has this been part of the Football Manager / coaches role?

Dean Bell
Tony Iro

Jim Doyle got the likes of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck here.

Does Dan Floyd work in this space at the Warriors too?

John Ackland was a talent spotter for the Dogs - SBW, Hutch Maivia, Roy Asotasi …

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
The Dolphins poaching POS is more of a blow than any players ever could be.

I would rather keep POS and give the Dolphins our whole playing squad than lose our most influential staff member. That’s how much he is worth.

Sad news. But well done to the Dolphins - Dolphins are such smart animals and surprisingly vicious 🤣

gubbbs

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 26, 2016
This sucks, has put me off the NRL more than any of our shit games. POS was the bright spot where it felt like regardless of on field results we were doing something really well. Then to just have him poached by a new club who also gets a super coach. Warriors are just always going to be second class citizens in the NRL.

If I knew this was a possibility I feel like we should have just resigned Sean O'Sullivan. Worth it as a package deal with his pops.

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
I feel the owners should be looking to explain what's going on to the loyal fan base and how they plan to address this current situation.

And please take Kodi with you now, POS 🙏

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
I don't know how POS contract with the Warriors was setup, but hopefully with him leaving they have been able to make some agreements with him on things to honour. And hopefully any signings to occur just after November 1st are already pretty much locked in and don't require his input.

Monumental loss for the Warriors. I feel he was the only chance the Warriors could have at becoming a regularly competitive team.

I feel extremely deflated and unsure why I bother riding the highs and mostly lows of the Warriors.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
A tough one to take with us starting to get a squad that looks promising along with some moves happening that look like we could be positioning ourselves for a few key recruits.

He took a while to get going which lead to criticism. But he had a cap that was a mess along with a coach that wasn't conducive to recruiting talent. But once he got some cap space and started making some move things really picked up.

We now have a forward pack that can compete up front consistently compared to the small one that would compete every few weeks.

We have also been more proactive than we would typically be. Getting rid of guys that aren't performing.

Better use of our cap with getting unwanted guys with their previous club picking up some of the tab.

The Townsend short term contract was some unique thinking that the club wouldn't of done in the past. Gave us a chance to keep our season on track. It didn't work out but that was more bad luck with the injury in the first game.

Like other promising off field recruits it feels like the job isn't complete. Recall him starting here saying building a squad for the Warriors first premiership would of been a great achievement.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
I don't know how POS contract with the Warriors was setup, but hopefully with him leaving they have been able to make some agreements with him on things to honour. And hopefully any signings to occur just after November 1st are already pretty much locked in and don't require his input.

Monumental loss for the Warriors. I feel he was the only chance the Warriors could have at becoming a regularly competitive team.

I feel extremely deflated and unsure why I bother riding the highs and mostly lows of the Warriors.
My only counter argument here and is that you can recruit the best players you want and who'll come but It means SFA if they don't do anything while they're here.

Sometimes your best player turns out to be one of the players fans put on the "Why The Fuck Did We Sign Him?!" List while your worst player is high up on the "Fuck Yes!! We Signed Him!!" List.

If I was running the Warriors there would be several legal barriers being put in place right now between the Warriors and Dolphins. Would it be legal to accept a request for an early release by a Warriors player on the proviso that they didn't sign with the Dolphins?

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Its not just scouting the young talent or recruiting big names its the balancing of the cap so we spend in the right areas or get value for money.

Those will be tough skills to replace and something we have struggled with in the past.

Bennett would of been good enough on his own as players want to play under him. He would of had a year off from the day to day grind of coaching to concentrate on the roster. Hiring O'Sullivan shows they mean business. He will be the one positioning them for the future.

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
Ouch. We severally lack NRL experience and management, he needs to be replaced with someone top notch. Especially considering our junior set up has been decimated by COVID. Tough thing is, anyone good is not looking for a job. Especially this time of the year.

POS would have an agreement with us, no poaching Warriors juniors, for next season at least. Surely. We'd be getting screwed if not, POS knows us inside out. Massive advantage if he was keen to take some guys with him..

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Ouch. We severally lack NRL experience and management, he needs to be replaced with someone top notch. Especially considering our junior set up has been decimated by COVID. Tough thing is, anyone good is not looking for a job. Especially this time of the year.

POS would have an agreement with us, no poaching Warriors juniors, for next season at least. Surely. We'd be getting screwed if not, POS knows us inside out. Massive advantage if he was keen to take some guys with him..
That’s why we need to cut ties with Redcliffe immediately. Relocate to Ipswich Jets for next year.

If George can’t see how much this could fuck up by being based in Redcliffe and having our few juniors around Redcliffe staff (coaches and POS), then he needs to go as well.

RiceOwl

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2015
Obviously super disappointing, but I think a point that has been largely missed IMO is this may be a consequence of our clubs challenges with Covid and not being based here in NZ. If I was a staff member I would struggle being unsure of where I’d be based from both a professional and personal POV.

I’m a podcast he mentioned he looked forward to having the NZ talent at his disposal on the doorstep but he hasn’t been able to do this at all.

The media speak highly of us having to relocate, but the knock on effects of Covid on this club in particular are huge.

I just hope there is some parting gifts for us come Nov 1st…

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Warriors showing some serious ineptitude once again again by not signing his son to atleast keep the old man here. In my mind his sons not even a bad player and probably deserved a contract anyway. Ah well fuck all aboard the shit show once again!

• Haha
Reactions: zegy and francis

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Obviously super disappointing, but I think a point that has been largely missed IMO is this may be a consequence of our clubs challenges with Covid and not being based here in NZ. If I was a staff member I would struggle being unsure of where I’d be based from both a professional and personal POV.

I’m a podcast he mentioned he looked forward to having the NZ talent at his disposal on the doorstep but he hasn’t been able to do this at all.

The media speak highly of us having to relocate, but the knock on effects of Covid on this club in particular are huge.

I just hope there is some parting gifts for us come Nov 1st…
Well said. The club has done well to remain competitive and improve the squad while essentially being nomads.

We have already seen that staff may not return next year depending on travel status between the two countries.

They have also had to manage being based overseas with the first grade squad and a selection of the juniors who are close to first grade ready. While having a skeleton staff here basically keeping the lights on with local recruitment.

While our competitors have played in front of reduced crowds or basically back to normal we have had to try and create a home away from home.

The last 2 years plus however long they remain in Australia next season are going to have huge ramifications for the club over the next few years. Financially it would have to be draining, they will then have to return home and rebuild the club.

ramraider78

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2012
Auckland , New Zealand
In the past who have been the Warriors recruitment managers? Or has this been part of the Football Manager / coaches role?

Dean Bell
Tony Iro

Jim Doyle got the likes of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck here.

Does Dan Floyd work in this space at the Warriors too?

John Ackland was a talent spotter for the Dogs - SBW, Hutch Maivia, Roy Asotasi …
I remember when Dan just put the cones out and collected the gear lol John is the riddler, those are great players of the past but nothing current, he's found? Correct me if I'm wrong. POS replacement should be an Australian with a decent profile.

Reactions: Defence and tajhay

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
POS biggest strength was identifying talent and picking the right juniors to invest in. So from that POV I think his job has left us in a good spot with the next crop of juniors.

However when I read George's comments about what they'll do in POS absence my immediate thought is - we're fucked.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings