General Peter Jessup talks to new Warriors coach Brian McClennan

Jesbass_old

Is he a league man? I don't take much notice off journalists, really. (and yes, do take offence JB. ;))

Jks.

I asked the same question to either Stanaway or Ackerman in 2009 when I was looking for media coverage for the Sonny Fai wristbands.

Whoever it was said they were of the understanding that he used to play the game and played some junior or reserve grade in Australia...Penrith, I think? It was an offhand comment made almost 3 years ago, so I could be way off base!

Jesbass_old

Pete's League thru & thru. Glenora Bears man

Bruce, is there any truth to the story I just told? As I said, I could be way off base, haha!

What position did he play? A gut feeling says he may have been a hooker?

bruce_old

He played seniors in Akl. Not sure what position but probably not winger.

He also played for one of the Manly feeder clubs but never made the first grade team. He does have some good stories from his time around the traps though.

Jesbass_old

He played seniors in Akl. Not sure what position but probably not winger.

He also played for one of the Manly feeder clubs but never made the first grade team. He does have some good stories from his time around the traps though.

Ah, Manly...that's it. Not Penrith. I knew he was in the juniors or reserve grade or something but never quite got to the top level.

Lego_Man_old

I've got beef with this comment:

My bet is that Bluey’s mark on the team will become apparent very quickly and that given a chance to select his own squad over the next two-three years, the Warriors will finally march to the Holy Grail.

What's wrong with the current one? I cant visualise any changes that would do anything other than make it worse. Apart from adding a good centre.

Jesbass_old

I've got beef with this comment:

What's wrong with the current one? I cant visualise any changes that would do anything other than make it worse. Apart from adding a good centre.

You don't think our roster might change at all, (apart from signing a centre), over the next two to three years? I can't see any 2011 NRL squad being identical (apart from one addition) in 2014.

Jesbass_old

No, it would be squad. Imagine signing a contract to coach an NRL team and being told that you just had to make do with the players that were there. One day, you'd wake up, look in the mirror, and realise your name is Stephen Kearney.

Lego_Man_old

You don't think our roster might change at all, (apart from signing a centre), over the next two to three years? I can't see any 2011 NRL squad being identical (apart from one addition) in 2014.

Yes, but the comment clearly implied that there was something deficient with the current squad that would take 2-3 years to remedy. On current form i'd lock in this side for 3 years (jncluding 2012 signings) no problems. Other than retirements etc.

casso_old

mid 70's

Q what did u and Lowie talk about at Lang Park sitting behind the goalposts in the mid 1970's when u were there with all you're mates ie.nobody?

Bennet was coach of Souths and Lowe was coach of Norths in the Brisbane rugby league.Bennett used to sit behind the goalposts all season and nobody would go near him.One day when their teams were playing Lowe approached him and they were talking,I always wondered what they talked about.
BTW Bennet could play.U didn't make any test team from the Brisbane comp. in those days unless you were very good,
Also Lowe won the comp. that year with a bunch of nobodies really.He was a great thinker on the game and also a master motivator of men.I always wondered if he didn't
have illness problems if he wouldn't of been the equal or better of Bennett,

Patu_old

Yes, but the comment clearly implied that there was something deficient with the current squad that would take 2-3 years to remedy. On current form i'd lock in this side for 3 years (jncluding 2012 signings) no problems. Other than retirements etc.
I don't know if Bluey would see the current team as deficient as such, but he obviously has his own ideas about what he thinks the make-up of the team should be. He'll have to decide who he wants his centres to be, what to do with Kris and Fish, who to use as interchange hooker for Friend, how long Friend plays, what to do should Maloney leave at the end of the year, not to mention how to manage injuries to players next season...

a.c.e_old

I really dont know what kinda coach Bluey is. Would he have the boys use a bit more of that flair that the Warriors of old are well known off? We currently have the players that can pass at will if given the licence. the Warriors of old they would let in some soft trys towards the back of the game too. It was come out in the first half, bash the crap out of the opposition, lead by heaps and hold on towards the final 10 to 15mins for a win. Or the miracle 3 trys in 5mins to pull out a victory.

Or would he continue on the new found defencive form currently in the squad that Cleary has worked on and has become more apparent this year? Warriors now a double edged sword where they can win games in attack and defence.