Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have a new expressway between Auckland and Hamilton. If anyone can do a trip in both directions without hitting any road works, especially on the new piece that is less than 5 years old without hitting road works. They should buy a lotto ticket as chances are it's your lucky day.

I have to drive through there often. Either to get to family, to Hamilton to meet family halfway, or for work. When it opened you got a drive that wasn't disrupted. The last few years there is usually a few sections where it is down to one lane for repairs which creates a queue. Or you get redirected to the other side of the road which then impacts that direction as it's down to one lane.

I've stopped on that expressway quite often and admired how much road seal they are putting down.
Mate I spent 20years in the South Island. The Central Otago scam is well known. Use substandard asphalt, water ingress, freezes, lifts, potholes. Get paid to do it all again.

Need to bring back capital punishment for damages to society.

Mate I spent 20years in the South Island. The Central Otago scam is well known. Use substandard asphalt, water ingress, freezes, lifts, potholes. Get paid to do it all again.

Need to bring back capital punishment for damages to society.
Putting contracts out to tender and accepting the cheapest option without asking why or checking the quality or grade of materials used, effectively forcing quality down so everyone can compete on price is also an issue.

Last edited:
Been behind on this thread so had a few pages to browse through. Been a bit feral the last few pages.

This government is incompetent. Ardern's Labour government when they got in could have lost the vote for the speaker if National pushed hard enough as Ardern and her ministers didn't realise they had enough ministers in the house to vote. The government typically nominates a speaker from within their ranks.

A lot of people misread the article on the axing gender/sexuality guidelines in school. They are removing it not adding lessons on pronouns.

As a father of two young children I'd prefer they concentrated on teaching them maths, english, maori, science, geography. I'd prefer they added more on presenting to prepare them for the workforce and also add more on financial literacy. When they get older sex education. The most important thing in that article was consent. That should also be done at home via parents.

Are you comparing getting your driver's license at an age where society and lawmakers have deemed them mature enough to take on the responsibility of that and compliance is easily controlled and enforced, to a 35 being incapable of making the informed decision whether to smoke or not but a 36 year old can?
It was Luxon that made a fairness comparison based on age

As a matter of interest can you direct me to the post you made arguing against the previous government enacting the Smokefree legislation?

Old Winston it doesn't matter which side of the isle he deals with he'll run his mouth and the senior people in the governing party will make excuses or brush it off.

Think he gets the Foreign Affairs & Trade role not by asking but more so they can get rid of him for long stretches overseas. Either that or he's doing a Baldrick on everyone and its a cunning plan for him to get the Foreign Affairs portfolio.

It was Luxon that made a fairness comparison based on age

As a matter of interest can you direct me to the post you made arguing against the previous government enacting the Smokefree legislation?
It was you who made the comparison between drivers licensing and smoking age restrictions.

I didn't make any posts arguing against it. I don't see it it as a big deal either way. Smoking is declining at a rate that will or should continue with the current laws, regulations and increases in tax on it. Which has been my response so far to people making a big deal about it being repealed. The biggest issue that needs addressing is vaping. Yet for the last 5 days and how many pages this is the big issue out of the coalition agreement. If the current government doesn't do anything about vaping that they promised then I will be one of the first to be criticising them for it.

As a father of two young children I'd prefer they concentrated on teaching them maths, english, maori, science, geography. I'd prefer they added more on presenting to prepare them for the workforce and also add more on financial literacy. When they get older sex education. The most important thing in that article was consent. That should also be done at home via parents.
Here’s the problem, people are stupid. And parents are just as fucking dumb. The quality of the education system is one thing, but trusting modern day parents to convey themes they struggle with is even worse.

Parents can’t even comprehend the fact that school entrant children should be getting taught the names for reproductive organs and their general functions. And you think they should dominate the sex conversation?? 😂😂

Old Winston it doesn't matter which side of the isle he deals with he'll run his mouth and the senior people in the governing party will make excuses or brush it off.

Think he gets the Foreign Affairs & Trade role not by asking but more so they can get rid of him for long stretches overseas. Either that or he's doing a Baldrick on everyone and its a cunning plan for him to get the Foreign Affairs portfolio.
He got co deputy pm didn’t he? He won’t be going anywhere.

Reactions: kos
Was it the Key govt give Fulton Hogan the roading contract for 20 years to do pretty much what ever the wanted?
Haha no idea. I know they owned it for the entire time I was there. Not suggesting ever of suing them for negligence and getting in a suitable contractor.

Same as the building industry. Billions lost; 100s of lives lost, innovation and productivity lost.

It was you who made the comparison between drivers licensing and smoking age restrictions.

I didn't make any posts arguing against it. I don't see it it as a big deal either way. Smoking is declining at a rate that will or should continue with the current laws, regulations and increases in tax on it. Which has been my response so far to people making a big deal about it being repealed. The biggest issue that needs addressing is vaping. Yet for the last 5 days and how many pages this is the big issue out of the coalition agreement. If the current government doesn't do anything about vaping that they promised then I will be one of the first to be criticising them for it.
The benefits of the legislation have been modelled for the financial impact on the health system and live saves....
Modelled by qualified experts - not some completely unqualified guy on a Warriors forum pontificating on the topic .. seemingly because he desperately wants a three headed government to work.

Why not address smoking - which is proven as highly addictive, deadly and a drain on health resources... and address vaping? It doesn't need to be one or another.

And you think the tobacco industry don't also control the vape industry?

Here's the report from treasury

The benefits of the legislation have been modelled for the financial impact on the health system and live saves....
Modelled by qualified experts - not some completely unqualified guy on a Warriors forum pontificating on the topic .. seemingly because he desperately wants a three headed government to work.

Why not address smoking - which is proven as highly addictive, deadly and a drain on health resources... and address vaping? It doesn't need to be one or another.

And you think the tobacco industry don't also control the vape industry?

Here's the report from treasury
From one unqualified guy on a warriors forum to another - cool story bro.

Even the report you are referencing warns there is significant uncertainty in outcomes.

This smoking argument is laughable.

National is extending free breast cancer screening and will save 100’s of lives - so Labour were evil for not having this policy despite the obvious health benefits, lives saved, etc? Yay for National aye? I haven’t heard your equal praise that a balance argument would bring for National and flames for Labour for not implimenting this…

You lefties have your knickers in a twist when both parties have different priorities, ways of helping people and ways they are not helping people.

The continued pages and pages and pages of bleeting about a single minor issue is as cringeworthy, unbalanced and frankly unhinged as Winston’s single minded attacking of the media 🤣

National is extending free breast cancer screening and will save 100’s of lives - so Labour were evil for not having this policy despite the obvious health benefits, lives saved, etc? Yay for National aye? I haven’t heard your equal praise that a balance argument would bring for National and flames for Labour for not implimenting this…

You lefties have your knickers in a twist when both parties have different priorities, ways of helping people and ways they are not helping people.

The continued pages and pages and pages of bleeting about a single minor issue is as cringeworthy, unbalanced and frankly unhinged as Winston’s single minded attacking of the media 🤣
According to National, extending breast cancer screening potentially saves up to 65 lives a year.

According to Time, The smoke free NZ laws that are being repealed are estimated to save up to 5000 lives annually.

Your comparison is laughable.

Wasn’t the breast screening extension a result of a question asked at the leader’s debate by the moderator to both leaders and both said they were prepared to do so - it just so happens that National now have the opportunity to follow through on it.

Wasn’t the breast screening extension a result of a question asked at the leader’s debate by the moderator to both leaders and both said they were prepared to do so - it just so happens that National now have the opportunity to follow through on it.
Yeah, Labour were also going to do it.

National had also announced it in 2022 as a policy. Good on them for following through with it.

The contributions for our right wing comrades really are at an all time low in the face of the shit policy being served up.

Back