Internationals Perenara in halfback frame for Kiwis

• Thread starter warriors4life_old
  • Start date

warriors4life_old

From nzherald.co.nz

By Michael Brown

Eels rookie Marcus Perenara has emerged as a possible bolter to wear the No 7 jersey in the Anzac test as the Kiwis recover from the news that ace No 6 Benji Marshall is out.

Marshall dislocated his shoulder playing against the Cowboys on Friday night, sidelining him for two months.

Marshall was almost inconsolable in the Wests Tigers dressing room afterwards and Kiwi coach Brian McClennan might have had a tear in his eye too. It will rob him of his most potent attacking player for the May 5 test.

Marshall's injury has complicated an already difficult scenario in the halves with Stacey Jones out with a broken arm, Lance Hohaia struggling for form in the Bartercard Cup and Thomas Leuluai facing an energy-sapping journey from the UK that McClennan might be reluctant for him to take.

McClennan may now consider either Jerome Ropati or Nigel Vagana for the No 6 jersey against the Kangaroos. Ropati has been solid for the Warriors there in recent weeks and Vagana, who played five-eighths for much of last year's Tri-Nations, is expected to return soon for the Sharks after off-season ankle surgery.

Perenara, the brother of Henry who has played more than 60 NRL games, might be an option at No 7. He makes his NRL debut from the interchange bench this afternoon against Penrith when he is expected to spend some time at five-eighths.

"If he can play four or five NRL games and play well, he is a chance, a very good chance," McClennan said. "We could look at Lance [Hohaia] as a No 9 and a back up No 7, but I think you've got to be playing NRL or Super League to play in a test."

McClennan has yet to hear whether Karmichael Hunt will declare his allegiance to the Kiwis.

warriors4life_old

Haven't seen the younger Perenara play so can't really judge him, but if Karmichael wants to make the team he better make up his mind soon.

That is fantastic news!! Ive had my hopes pinned on the Perenara boys for years. So much talent in that family. Cant wait to see Marcus make his debut today - expect big things from him!!

missing teeth_old

How'd he go? i heard he almost killed a guy. Maybe he can take out johns in the test for us.

Warrior_Hot_Stepper_old

missing teeth said:
How'd he go? i heard he almost killed a guy. Maybe he can take out johns in the test for us.
He took out Gower , perenara was put on report, he has nothing to worry about the tackle was legal.
He had a solid game, give him a few more games and see how he goes.

I was impressed with his tackling, apart from one miss (which unfortunately let to a try!). Didnt get much of a chance in attack as he was playing hooker and 'played it safe' basically, didnt do any dummy half runs or anything. Smith might be looking at him to keep the bench warm until PJ gets back. Hope so, he's got 'potential' written all over him!

commonsense_old

nah i wouldnt choose marcus over hohaia. experience counts a lot in the test arena and although lance is playing in b/c he has plenty of test experience.

i hope he gets picked in the no7. he will show everyone what he can do there... esp ivan cleary.

Warrioraholic_old

I cant believe everyone is leaving lance out of the picture. I bet if Stacey had a say he would say how good Lance really is, he must do something to piss everyone off behind the scenes cause on the field I cant fault him

Warrior_Hot_Stepper_old

commonsense said:
nah i wouldnt choose marcus over hohaia. experience counts a lot in the test arena and although lance is playing in b/c he has plenty of test experience.
i agree, marcus would have to do something that Mashall can do to be even considered. Hohaia Would have to play at no7 for the test, and hopefully he can find some form very soon.

jahc_old

Warrioraholic said:
I cant believe everyone is leaving lance out of the picture. I bet if Stacey had a say he would say how good Lance really is, he must do something to priss everyone off behind the scenes cause on the field I cant fault him
I cant believe it either. Yes hes playing Bartercard at the moment. But he has 3 seasons of NRL experience under his belt, AND hes played quite a few tests already. Surely he must be the best option for the Kiwis at the moment.

MiXmasterreece_old

Would love to take a gamble on Peranara, Smith, Chase or the bulldogs kid (i forget his name) but it just aint realistic.

Would Prob go with

6. Vagana (If not fit then god knows)
7. Lance
9. Faiumu
14. Halatau

warrior_girl81_old

i want hohaia!! i just wish theyd get over whatever their problem is and bring him back, especially for the kiwis. if not then give peranara or vagana a go (if fit).

tmaster_old

They won't put Marcus in ahead of Lance. I think a guy like Billy Ngawini or Jeremy Smith have more experience than him. If Lance is available they would have to pick him.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings