Sports What sports did you used to play?

My "claim to fame" with running was for one season in my teens, I ran with the Auckland Presbyterian Harriers club.

Because of my age, I run in the colts class. There were only four of us in the class that season but it included the clear favourite for that year's Handicapped Road Champs, Aaron Strong, who later went on to represent NZ at the World King of the Mountain running events on six occasions. Fortunately, he had a national championship event the next week so he decided to run in the senior class instead. Another runner in our class had to work so didn't show up leaving two of us.

The only other runner had the advantage that he was faster than me except going up hills where I was stronger. Another advantage I had was it was being run around the streets of Mt Albert and because I went to tech out there, I knew the course better than my opponent. Because it was a handicapped race, based on other events throughout the year, I had a 30 second head start on him. There was a reasonably flat section of road before a steep hill where the colts course split away from the seniors course.

It turns out I had another advantage.... I could follow directions, which he couldn't, he got lost when our course split away from the seniors because he was following the wrong runner and carried on straight when he should have turned left. He got disqualified and I became the Auckland Presbyterian Harriers club handicapped colts road race champion for 1989. The fact that the only other person in the race got disqualified may have had something to do with me winning it.

Played everything, I loved sports…..excelled at Rugby and Athletics mostly. Played Softball etc. Dabbled in cricket as a kid, volleyball. The list goes on…..never played League though which sucks. But my Dad (RIP my beautiful Dad) was an astute sportsman and played Rugby and League for Auckland many moons ago. Started Skateboarding around 11 years old and everything else took a back seat until I discovered Basketball and played that until I discovered girls and partying 🤷🏽‍♂️

Played League for MtWellington Seniors along side,Doug Elwood,Ray Townsend and Bill Burgoyne,and against guys like Roy Christian,Henry Tatana,Brian Lee,Roger Bailey,Robert Orchard,Victor Yates,Lee Morgan Ken McCracken,Roger Tait,Ernie and Albie Wiggs and many more.
Thinking back I probably wasn't that great of a player,but I suppose not to bad as I always kept my spot in the team.
Attended both Warriors Grand Final matches,and also the first ever warriors finals match against the eels with the Mad Butcher.
Late 30s I joined the YMCA Marathon club and completed 7 marathons.(very slowly),Rotorua 3 times,best time just under 3 and a half hours.
Have always been a bird lover-Both types,but I'm referring to the feathered variety and have raced Pigeons for many years.
Regarded as one of the best,if not the best in the Country having won many Classic Races.
Unfortunately early this year I was diagnosed with BFL, Bird fanciers lung and advised to give the sport away.
3 months ago the birds were auctioned off with great interest throughout the Country among the Pigeonracing fraternity.
By the way the breathing has improved,don't think I'm about to cark it

Grew up deep south with a Rugby mad family uncle All-black colt .. a Grandfather that was a selector for Southland Rugby .

.So had to play!! RUGBY or nothing started played from 7 to 17yrs old for up to 3 teams at a time(club, School, inter-region weight division comp) ......my oldman loved many sporting codes so NRL was often watched Tigers/raiders my teams till WARs come along... loved playing league with mates and even during some Rugby practices we would play a league like game at times..

Also thought I would have made a better League player than Rugby .. used to love the tackle and hard run (played Flanker/2nd five)but was pretty woeful in the scum ruck and style of rugby play back in the day 90's ...but nil League teams where I grew up till much older age..

Only other sport I play or prob more of a GAME is GOLF started in my mid 20's still playing 20yrs later .. love the game sometimes playing couple of competitions per week..

In my 4 score years less a few I have

Played Rugby on Eden Park #1
League on Carlaw #1
Tennis on Stanley St centre court
Played cricket through school years
Have run 14 marathons
Social indoor bowls
Snooker
Darts
Currently golf 3 times a week
Enjoy long distance walking - this year walked 17kms to raise funds for homeless and was supported by this forum
Just back from European holiday where my wife and I walked a total of 757 kms

In all sports more of a trier than a star

In my 4 score years less a few I have

Played Rugby on Eden Park #1
League on Carlaw #1
Tennis on Stanley St centre court
Played cricket through school years
Have run 14 marathons
Social indoor bowls
Snooker
Darts
Currently golf 3 times a week
Enjoy long distance walking - this year walked 17kms to raise funds for homeless and was supported by this forum
Just back from European holiday where my wife and I walked a total of 757 kms

In all sports more of a trier than a star
Well done you. Whereabouts in Europe did you walk out of curiosity?

Played League for MtWellington Seniors along side,Doug Elwood,Ray Townsend and Bill Burgoyne,and against guys like Roy Christian,Henry Tatana,Brian Lee,Roger Bailey,Robert Orchard,Victor Yates,Lee Morgan Ken McCracken,Roger Tait,Ernie and Albie Wiggs and many more.
Thinking back I probably wasn't that great of a player,but I suppose not to bad as I always kept my spot in the team.
Attended both Warriors Grand Final matches,and also the first ever warriors finals match against the eels with the Mad Butcher.
Late 30s I joined the YMCA Marathon club and completed 7 marathons.(very slowly),Rotorua 3 times,best time just under 3 and a half hours.
Have always been a bird lover-Both types,but I'm referring to the feathered variety and have raced Pigeons for many years.
Regarded as one of the best,if not the best in the Country having won many Classic Races.
Unfortunately early this year I was diagnosed with BFL, Bird fanciers lung and advised to give the sport away.
3 months ago the birds were auctioned off with great interest throughout the Country among the Pigeonracing fraternity.
By the way the breathing has improved,don't think I'm about to cark it
Interesting yarn. You must have been playing when I was playing for Point Chevalier. I was probably the same standard as you. Always picked but never the star.
Hopefully you health remains good for a long time yet.

I played with myself alot
Pocket billiards eh.

Reminds me of a joke Billie T James said about being poor.

When asked by his Dad, what do you want for Xmas?'

'Dad I want something to wear and something to play with'

' So the old man brought me a pair of second hand shorts and cut holes in the bottom of the pockets'

Last edited:
Pocket billiards eh.

Reminds me of a joke Billie T James said about being poor.

When asked by his Dad, what do you want for Xmas?'

'Dad I want something to wear and something to play with'

' So the old man brought me a pair of second hand shorts and cut holes in the bottom of the pockets'
Theres nothing better than having a hole in your pocket from wear and tear and having a little jiggle. Makes scratching and adjusting invisible.. opposed to whole junk grab over the pants 😅🤣

Back