General Penalty rule change?

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
I would like to see the penalty rule changed in the NRL so that anytime a team is awarded a penalty they are entitled to finish the set, regardless of how much time is left on the clock.

Seems like a real no brainer to me, and would stop the winning team giving away cynical penatlies in the last few seconds of the game to kill the other teams chances when they are less than a score behind.

Does anyone know if this has ever been trialed? Seems like such an obvious thing to do, that I am wondering if I am missing something.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
They tried something like that in one of the first All Star games. Pretty sure instead of finishing the set it was a restart of the set.

From what I can remember there were some long sets and it sped the game up a lot.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
They tried something like that in one of the first All Star games. Pretty sure instead of finishing the set it was a restart of the set.

From what I can remember there were some long sets and it sped the game up a lot.
Thanks, that sounds positive. I was thinking they still get to kick for touch and then play out a normal set (provided they don't knock it on or otherwise turn it over etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Upcoming Match

Canberra Raiders GIO Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

20 Sep

5.7 Total Avg Rating
5.4 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 7 ratings