Player Paul Turner

Cces

Cces

I just noticed that Paul Turner no longer features amongst the players on the club website. Has he been released early to create another 2021 roster spot?

Reactions: 3rdstriker
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
I just noticed that Paul Turner no longer features amongst the players on the club website. Has he been released early to create another 2021 roster spot?

I’m assuming still on our ‘books’ until end of this season ??
Same as HIKU - seen in Akld having a good time last Saturday night / Sunday morning

Reactions: J_P and bruce
Wrighty

Wrighty

It would have been interesting to see how things played out if Turner had been fit all year
This.
That injury hurt us a surprising amount as apart from being an option at half, and we ended up scraping to Peta Hiku at one point, he also had a good game at Centre in one match if I recall correctly.

Five&Last

Five&Last

I wonder if Paul Turner is regretting his decision to sign for the Titans? With Campbell coming through and them signing Trai Fuller it’s going to be pretty crowded in the Titans spine next year. He would probably have had an opportunity here.
Not Trai, it’s Shalin Fuller. Honestly Paul Turner could not have picked a worse spot to develop as a half. Also have Toby Sexton coming through and have Tom Weaver on a development contract who is considered the best 18 year old halves prospect in the game.

Gold Coast finally starting to take advantage of their catchment area. I’ve always said that they have best junior talent pool outside of Western Sydney and Auckland.
Keebra Park and Palm Beach Currumbin are factory lines for top end players.

Paulo24

Paulo24

Not Trai, it’s Shalin Fuller. Honestly Paul Turner could not have picked a worse spot to develop as a half. Also have Toby Sexton coming through and have Tom Weaver on a development contract who is considered the best 18 year old halves prospect in the game.

Gold Coast finally starting to take advantage of their catchment area. I’ve always said that they have best junior talent pool outside of Western Sydney and Auckland.
Keebra Park and Palm Beach Currumbin are factory lines for top end players.
and one of the hottest up and coming young fullbacks, as well as Brimson. Would be good to have him back...

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
It is interesting that despite his attacking stats and shortcomings in his game there doesn't seem to be anything but support from the Eels fanbase for Dylan Brown. He is a year younger than Chanel Harris-Tavita, which is crazy.

The Warriors had a choice between him and his good mate Paul Turner and chose Turner. Daniel Anderson scouted Brown in Auckland and invited him to the Eels.

Cces

Cces

Is Metcalf better than Turner?
I agree with Waipiro that they're very much alike. Some people consider PT a #7 but you could count the number of games he's played there in the last 4 years on your hands & still have a few fingers spare

Last edited:
Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Don't Warri Be Happy
Contributor
Maybe.
I actually like them both but it’s an interesting point- could’ve kept turner for a lot less than we’ll have to pay metcalf.
I read at the time Turner went to the Titans for less than what we offered him to stay .
I liked watching Turner play and was sad to see him go.
But from the outside I would think all sane thought left when Walsh got the fullback spot.
At his age I made stupid calls myself because circumstances changed. Still can 😄

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
249. PAUL TURNER

Paul Turner was awarded the Sonny Fai medal as the Jersey Flegg Player of the Year in 2019.

In Round 15 2020, Turner made his first grade debut against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in place of Chanel Harris-Tavita who failed his HIA.

In 2021, Turner played 2 games in Round 5 and 6.

On 4th May 2021 Turner the Warriors announced that Turner was leaving the club to continue his career elsewhere despite the Warriors offering more money. The Warriors were in negotiations with the Brisbane Broncos to do a straight player swap with Reece Walsh but after the deal was done the Broncos discovered they couldn't accomodate Turner.

On 7th June 2021 the Gold Coast Titans announced they had signed Turner on a 2 year deal starting 2022...

Turner a Titan from 2022

Titans.com.au
Mon 7 Jun 2021, 10:01 AM
Screenshot 2022 12 23 125514 AM

The Gold Coast Titans have signed exciting backline prospect Paul Turner for the next two seasons.

The 20-year-old will be fit and ready to start the pre-season with the Titans in November.

Turner made his NRL debut with the New Zealand Warriors, playing at halfback in their round 15 game against the Bulldogs.

In 2021, he played from the interchange bench before sustaining a shoulder injury that ruled him out for the season.

Titans Coach Justin Holbook says he’s excited to work with Turner next season.

“To have Paul Turner join our Club is very exciting , he had a few clubs to choose from and he chose to become a Titan," Holbrook said.

"Paul is a young player that we would have seen a lot more of this year had he not been injured.

“Paul is versatile where he plays, he prefers the halves but he is equally as good at centre or fullback.

“That’s what you need in a player, as squads now we use a lot of players, so you need players that are versatile and can play a number of positions and Paul fills that role.

“He’s a really hard runner of the football that is extremely skilful, so that’s a really good mix especially with the new rules and how fast the game is getting.”

Reactions: bruce