General Passing Skills

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Is it just me or are the Warriors the worst passing team in the comp?

There's a small window of an overlap out wide, but when we try to get the ball through the hands, for some quick draw and pass, it all falls apart.

We rely almost entirely on easy passing and them some one out brilliance to get over the line. But if we could get our backs to run in tight formations, and move the ball quickly to the man in space, I do believe we'd be a lot better in these tight games.

Thoughts?

Reactions: francis faafua

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017
So what's the breakdown then IYO.

Why are we failing out wide to get the ball to the correct player when it's on?
I’m thinking it’s about timing and running lines which we are novice at.

Re: the passing game I agree with the above names mentioned who have the required skill set however your point is still valid with a heap of the squad.

Drills = Skills

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I’m thinking it’s about timing and running lines which we are novice at.

Re: the passing game I agree with the above names mentioned who have the required skill set however your point is still valid with a heap of the squad.

Drills = Skills
Amen to that.

I'd have them running a no look passing drill. Where they all have to keep eyes front while passing the ball along the line at pace. And then once that becomes second nature, set up some obstacles to make it hard for the receiver to be in the correct position to catch the no look pass. I'd even get them practicing no look flick passes etc. Have a whole team full of legends in no time.

Good training makes you smarter.

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
I'd say it has to do with positioning.
Yes there are some shockers , but mostly I think our lines to flat on the edges in attack. Blake Shaun and Isaac are pretty handy at passing flat along the line, others aren't so much. RTS is someone who could stand to improve.
A deeper edge could be better. A lot of our passes if they don't hit the mark go behind the player.

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
Our left winger was the highest try scorer till he got injured. So there doesn’t seem to be an issue getting it out to that wing.
It’s well known that Kata doesn’t pass that’s well known. Mannering throws the odd shocker, that’s hardly new news. Jazz is a makeshift hooker, so his passing isn’t what you would expect.
Other than that we are pretty good.
We came up against a top team who’s defence was outstanding and we struggled to break their line last week.
Are we sure this thread isn’t a knee jerk reaction?

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I wasn't thinking about the act of passing the ball being deficient. I'm pretty sure all our guys would go alright at Freddies Pass Off.

It's the ball being passed perfectly behind a player, or not being passed at all when it's clearly on. These are the skills that are missing. It's the where and when to pass skills that aren't working. And the where to be to receive the pass skills. The decoy skills to draw defenders away from the guy who's getting the pass. All those mental skills are where we are the worst in the comp IMO.

Prove me wrong.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Amen to that.

I'd have them running a no look passing drill. Where they all have to keep eyes front while passing the ball along the line at pace. And then once that becomes second nature, set up some obstacles to make it hard for the receiver to be in the correct position to catch the no look pass. I'd even get them practicing no look flick passes etc. Have a whole team full of legends in no time.

Good training makes you smarter.
I would advocate a crowbar over the kneecaps for anyone doing no look passes.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I would say hands down we have the worst passing centres in the league with Kata and Beale.

But then we might have the best group of ball playing forwards with Tohu, Blair and Paasi.

Jazz is the worst passing dummy half I have ever seen at any level. Makes Nathan Friend look like a passing magician.

SJ has one of the more underrated passes in the league if I'm honest. Some of the passes he can make, very few players in the history of the game can do.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I would advocate a crowbar over the kneecaps for anyone doing no look passes.
I was thinking it would be a good drill to make support runners run in proper formations. If the guy passing isn't looking then he's relying on his outside man to be where he's supposed to be.

Obviously during the game looking where you're passing is a no brainier. But this drill would mean that looking is much easier.

Unless it's a set play of course, where slight of hand is required to fool the defense. Then the no look pass can create an opportunity for the receiver.. As a team we're not anywhere near that level of passing atm. But we could get there.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
While definitely the game on the weekend there was some sloppy passing going on which stopped momentum at times, ive thought in general this season our passing and ball control has been pretty good....in fact an improvement on past seasons.

I think our standard block play out the back (which involves crisp accurate passing, dummy runners getting their timing right, 2nd receivers getting the ball at depth so having to position themselves correctly) has been right up there with the best of clubs. Fusitua especially on the right has been a recipient on the end these plays for a number of his tries this year. If we're not an effective side at shifting the ball I don't think Fusitua gets as many tries as he has. In fact that whole SJ/Tohu/Hiku/Fusitua right edge had been fairly potent in that regard.

I guess with all the injuries and new personnel on board the combinations maybe haven't quite clicked and people have struggled to get timing/ Also don't underestimate the loss of Harris and Pulu who are genuine edge back rowers and can shift the ball effectively. A lot of the passing issues on the weekend seemed to me when we went ad lib and players hadn't re-aligned to put themselves in a position to receive the ball.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
The passing late in the storm game was pretty atrocious but all in I don’t think we are that bad. Noticed some of the support runners(especially Ken- maybe a factor in the Kata no pass?) run extremely flat with no depth- is this just a laziness issue or a timing issue?

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 9, 2012
Our left winger was the highest try scorer till he got injured. So there doesn’t seem to be an issue getting it out to that wing.
It’s well known that Kata doesn’t pass that’s well known. Mannering throws the odd shocker, that’s hardly new news. Jazz is a makeshift hooker, so his passing isn’t what you would expect.
Other than that we are pretty good.
We came up against a top team who’s defence was outstanding and we struggled to break their line last week.
Are we sure this thread isn’t a knee jerk reaction?
You mean right wing

But kata is definitely the problem. Also, Fusitua scores from the air a lot. And we also run a lot of plays to the right. We don’t go left often

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Upcoming Match

Canberra Raiders GIO Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

20 Sep

5.7 Total Avg Rating
5.4 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 9 ratings