General Panthers - Screwed In 2012

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
INJURY-ravaged Penrith must battle without fresh troops because the salary cap is preventing coach Ivan Cleary from selecting any more new players this season.

On top of heavily back-ended contracts causing long-term headaches, the struggling Panthers are now in a complete bind because their second-tier salary cap is at breaking point.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Penrith are already within $5000 of the $350,000 limit after using 30 players in the first nine weeks.

General manager Phil Gould last night conceded Cleary's team selection was now at the mercy of NRL cap auditor Ian Schubert, who must be consulted for relief should the club wish to blood juniors.

But Schubert will only agree if there's no fit bodies - who've previously played in the same position - available.

"The rules are there, so it looks like we'll be unable to blood any kids in first grade this season for development purposes," Gould said.

"Being brutally honest, it's going to be a tough ask to make the finals so a big focus was giving some of our younger players a taste of NRL.

"But we can't do that without breaching the cap. We're effectively in the position where the salary cap auditor is picking the team for us."

Even before the loss of NRL squad members Michael Gordon, Nathan Smith, Nigel Plum, Greg Waddell and Junior Tia Kilifi to long-term injury, Penrith were hamstrung.

Released forwards Junior Paulo (Parramatta) and Yileen Gordon (Moore Park) account for one third of the second-tier cap, while three-quarter Junior Vaivai cannot play NRL until an outstanding criminal charge is resolved.

This weekend, only five players are eligible from NSW Cup feeder side Windsor Wolves.

And with Luke Lewis and Michael Jennings certain to be picked for NSW, the squeeze will grow even tighter ahead of next Saturday night's trip to Townsville. To make matters worse, Penrith have just been fined $30,000 for breaching the second-tier cap last season.

Cautious not to re-offend, football manager Phil Moss is in regular contact with Schubert. And Gould will raise the plight among broader western Sydney issues when he personally meets NRL boss David Gallop on Monday.

"One of the key things is that our young players are the key to this club going forward," Gould said. "We want to promote them, but at the moment we can't.

"At the same time, the club has to take responsibility for the situation it's in. I want to build a culture here where there are no excuses for under performance."
Sauce: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/penrith-at-mercy-of-salary-cap-auditor/story-e6frexnr-1226352488946

Geez, it's gunna be a long year for the Pennies. i wonder if Cleary expected to walk into such a mess?

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
If he's able to do anything with this mess over the next couple of years he is a genius. As for the long term problem apparently their cap for next year is pretty much already used up.

Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Poor Ivan, he has been given a very lame duck me thinks...this will take YEARS to resolve.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
If he's able to do anything with this mess over the next couple of years he is a genius. As for the long term problem apparently their cap for next year is pretty much already used up.
Apparently it's only going to get worse too. Jennings deal goes up to 700k in the next few years. I just feel terrible for Ivan. I hope he's being given AT LEAST three seasons to even get to where he was in his second year here. Penrith are an absolute rabble.

Reaction score
warriors4life

warriors4life

Waterboy
Reaction score
Wow, what a terrible future they have. Their entire salary cap locked in to a squad that's not going to contend for a premiership anytime soon.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Well they just beat Dragons in golden point 13 - 12

Reaction score
esoj

esoj

U20's Player
Reaction score
they certainly were quite fired up in the game tonight. a good gutsy win that the panthers definitely needed

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
Well done to the Panthers. Cleary has taken on a tough gig, and is doing admirably with the resources available to him.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Panthers win is great for us because we are now IN the top 8 for reals.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
That was actually an entertaining game. Dragons were utter crap in that first half, looked lost without Sowie. Glad for Ivan..

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
With the Exception of John Money ( English Premiership and NRL Premiership ) Which Warriors Coach ever had an easy path to NRL Glory.....?

Next closets would be the current Coach in terms of inheriting a Club in a healthy state.

Cleary can Measure himself on the Anderson meter ........inherited a s!t Warriors team , got to a GF ....inherited a Sh!t secound Gig and Made another GF....no excuses Ivan.......( tongue in cheek ) Daniel did it .....the post Warriors legacy is paved with shards of glass.....lets see if he is a true Warrior....

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I don't think there is such a thing as an easy path to NRL glory, far too many factors come into it. Injuries, suspensions, players lost to rep games, the draw, eg the broncos seemly guaranteed a friday game almost every week while other teams might play a monday night then a friday etc, hell even the travel some teams have must have an impact on performance. If having a good team on paper meant you won the GF there would be four teams winning every year.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I don't think there is such a thing as an easy path to NRL glory, far too many factors come into it. Injuries, suspensions, players lost to rep games, the draw, eg the broncos seemly guaranteed a friday game almost every week while other teams might play a monday night then a friday etc, hell even the travel some teams have m20ust have an impact on performance. If having a good team on paper meant you won the GF there would be four teams winning every year.
Absolutely.
Easy path is not the right term too loosely applied. Ivan Cleary and Daniel Anderson Picked up the Club at times when things were in tatters or in Cleary's case , struck by personal tragedy.

Neither Coach had any NRL Experience as head Coach pre the Warriors....Neither came in on the back of A Achievement by the previous Seasons Squad.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I agree like you said John Monie took over an almost unchanged Jack Gibson, premiership winning eels team and that is certainly a big step up, the same can be said about Wigan also a strong team on the rise in a premiership where money talked and Wigan at the time had the biggest cheque book, again a huge benefit. However this Warriors squad does actually have quite a different look to last years when you look at the comings and goings. Myself I'll judge Blueys success come september not may. Afterall there were a few people around that spent alot of last year saying Cleary was mud for 3/4 of the season, then had to eat their words. As for personal tragedy if your refering to Sonny that wasn't his first year and people have tragedy in their lives that is part of living and something that must be accepted. Although it may have affected some performances for the worse you would hope it also affected some for the better.
Parra and the roosters both made the GF in the last few years, neither showed much the following year and in parras case there were rubbish before that GF and have really stunk since, in both cases they started the next season with the same coaches surely that should have meant success for both if one good year means a second.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Certainly wouldn't argue one good year is followed by a second. Anderson turned the Eels around two clubs in Crisis before he inspired a freak turn around in attitudes.

As for Bluey I still maintain he has come into the Warriors with the Most Coaching experience at the most settled time for the club since John Monie.

Cleary versus Anderson comparisons are valid in terms of both being placed in crisis scenarios in their NRL reincarnation. Sonny's death according to Steve Price had a profound effect on his mates 2009 , certainly not Cleary's first year...pre and post end of season results bare out that it stands alone as a Horror year in Cleary's tenure.....unknown teritory for most NRL coaches, As you say it affects people in differrent ways , no one has really ever talked about how it affected Cleary on a personal level , a very private man , we tend to think of the players by in large , as you say it affects some people for the better , we will never know in Cleary's case.

In terms of Bluey's results, September 2013 is when I will be satisfied i have a picture of how Bluey goes , two seasons. First season to reset the systems and build a relationship with the Club. Second Season to compare whether he is going forward.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
As for Bluey I still maintain he has come into the Warriors with the Most Coaching experience at the most settled time for the club since John Monie.

In terms of Bluey's results, September 2013 is when I will be satisfied i have a picture of how Bluey goes , two seasons. First season to reset the systems and build a relationship with the Club. Second Season to compare whether he is going forward.
I agree, you would have to believe that this year is even more settled than Monies first. While I know some first year coaches do have major success in reality two years is a better gauge. Systems, personalities and squad make up will generally take some time to sort out, but with the current players and the juniors coming through I would be stunned if within 3 years the Warriors weren't a regular top 4 team over the next 10 years and have something to show for it within 5.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Bloody good effort by the Panthers. Probably made Ivan feel like he was still coaching the Warriors though. Refs were KILLING them in the last 20. Fagons still couldn't get the job done though, justice prevails, etc. haha

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Just watched the replay . It's almost spooky the way the Cleary template is played out in that game , the whole structure is like watching us for the last six years without a kick to Manu. Dam fine win alright , true winning ugly Cleary footie, just what the Panthers needed, it will suit their less impetuous / less precocious talent.....a team of tradesmen should adapt to Cleary's style faster than the Warriors....no need to import tradesmen he's got plenty, maybe the cap restrictions won't bite so hard.

Top Bottom