General P. Ah Van

JonB_old

What did people think of Patrick? I thought he was technically very good player. He did well under the high balls he was given, I think he could do with a little more time in the weights room because he got smashed alot, didn't look to break tackles with the ball.

I think he could develop into a regualr first grader.

warriors4life_old

Yeah, he looked pretty good and he's still only just turned 18, could turn into a great player for us.

da mad maori

Yep gotta agree. This kid has the goods.
Having said that I thought Toopi did a good job as his "minder".

PB_old

Good player. Not a winger though, and played well considering. Got caught out with Toopi on a short left hand D resulting in a try but that's about the only blemish. Liked his chasing of Bell. Good desperation even though they still scored. I look forward to him securing a centre berth when Toopi leaves.

Now for Vuna and Rapira.

Iafeta_old

He was not too bad, although I must admit I'm still more impressed by Cooper Vuna - where is he these days?

On the try down his side, I think that was more a result of Clinton Toopi being stood up, he got caught inside, so Patrick had to react and head in field to try and shut it down incase Toopi didn't get him and that was all she wrote.

PB_old

Yeah, Orford found his man outside Toopi and it flowed from there. As senior he could have called everyone out but I don't think the communication was there. So they both wore the result instead.

JonB_old

I thought the two big factors in that try were the communication ( as previously mentioned) and toopi let the guy get outside him, defence as i know it should be push people in, rather than out, the opposite of soccer defencive patterns.

sebastian_old

He may be underdeveloped but he had a better game than byrne.
I don'y care who replaces him, just get rid of byrne.His heart is NOT in the team anymore. Drop him till he gets his head right.

I though he had a great game on debut. He didnt have much time to prepare for it, but he looked cool as a cucumber especially under those high balls. It seemed to me the pressure didnt faze him at all. What particularly impressed me was when he got hit by Menzies, he got straight back up to play the ball. That showed character and toughness. I definently wouldnt mind seeing him start again next week.

one-eyed-warrior_old

He was pretty good under the high ball. Hes skinny but so is byrne and look at the tigers fullback. Hes young and has alot of potential. He seemed to handle the pressure better than a few of the regulars. Good job patrick. Welcom to the whanau

L N_old

for his 1st up game in the NRL
the kid did exceptionally well
i tip my hat to the youngster

for a kid that was playing in the njc...this year
and hasnt even represented the jks yet

the youngster deserves a big wrap
for his debut performance
did really well to handle the situation
when thrown into the deep end

he has done himself proud
and i doubted this youngster

but he has shown with more gametime
and more time to develop physically
cause he did show mental toughness
beyond his years

will be a quality player
all the best to the lads future

mattyj_old

Does he have a history of playin in the halves? From what i know of him he is a NZ touch player.

Touch players usually have great fundamentals of passing into holes and having a dart when things open up.

Thats all Benji had under his belt when he went over to Keebra.

Wonder if its an option for him?

Skinner_old

mattyj said:
Does he have a history of playin in the halves? From what i know of him he is a NZ touch player.

Touch players usually have great fundamentals of passing into holes and having a dart when things open up.

Thats all Benji had under his belt when he went over to Keebra.

Wonder if its an option for him?

He has played stand-off before, but to be honest, he is less than
memorable in that spot.

Cheers

L N_old

watching him come through the junior grades
through Te Atatu, NJC, and Batercard
hes always been an outside back

even at Kelston college
he had quality halves in front of him at the time
robson godfrey
brett clarke.....a player that i rated very high
but unfortunatley didnt seem to kick on

warrior_girl81_old

i liked him. he couldve looked like a deer in the headlights but he looked confident and did his job or at least tried his hardest. he fits in well i say.

danco_old

he has a big heart and next year could be his year, he will get some gametime this year and can only improve,

Fobin_Hood_old

Iafeta said:
He was not too bad, although I must admit I'm still more impressed by Cooper Vuna - where is he these days?

On the try down his side, I think that was more a result of Clinton Toopi being stood up, he got caught inside, so Patrick had to react and head in field to try and shut it down incase Toopi didn't get him and that was all she wrote.

Partick Ah Van's alot more versitile than Cooper Vuna and can play in the halves as well as cover the wings centres and fullback. Dont get me wrong Cooper Vuna's a fantastic footy player but Ah Van's versitlity gives him the edge. Ive seen alot of these boys play in the junior ranks along with the Bartercard Cup. Cooper Vuna's playing for the Tamaki Leopards in the bartercard comp. The warriors elite squad have alot of hot young talent especially in the back line with Marvin Filipo, Miguel Start, Robinson Godfrey just to name a few. Filipo and Start in my opinion are on the verge of making their debuts at some stage during the season.