General Warriors Preseason 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see the picture of CHT for some reason, is he massive now?

Can't see the picture of CHT for some reason, is he massive now?

Not really- looks in good nick though.

IMG_3852.jpeg

Last edited:
I have always had a critical view on how Rugby league players train, having watched a cousin doing Olympic Training for eight years, and me own daughter going into juniors for NZ at aged 12 - training up to four hours a day six days a week and going to school....it has always struck me that the Warriors development systems could be doing a lot more....

I guess that goes for the whole sport, it is rubbish at peak performance trainning compared to Olympians.

And the proof of that is the constant massive gains made in League fitness over the last thirty years which continually proves how far off the performance ceiling this sport has been when it comes to fitness.

I have to be fair to league though, compared to say Athletics, or Swimming, it is a tiny sport in terms of a comparison.

The good news is that the Warriors are not far off the best in show, when it comes to preseason trainning - our lot came out very fit last year after stealing intellectual property and human resources from the best in comp - we literally had one preseason and came out as fit as the Penrith's of the world....no prizes for guessing how that happened.

Getting back to my original point, we need to find a way to train our B team and our C team, as well as little girls in NZ are being trained in Gyms by Eastern European coaches - borderline child abuse - and find a way for them to have to do four hours a day low impact some days, low impact extreme cardio...like my 12 year old girl chewed through like a machine six days a week because it was treated as normal and because 13 year olds were breaking world records and winning Olympic golds.

Quite honestly Rugby league preseasons are a joke compared to teen age girls training to win Olympic Gold medals and breaking all time world records.

Think about it, what it takes to turn a child from the cradle to the GOAT in a sport of all time before their thirteenth birthday and the Warriors running sand dunes at Huia.

Lots more needed....

Last edited:
I have always had a critical view on how Rugby league players train, having watched a cousin doing Olympic Training for eight years, and me own daughter going into juniors for NZ at aged 12 - training up to four hours a day six days a week and going to school....it has always struck me that the Warriors development systems could be doing a lot more....

I guess that goes for the whole sport, it is rubbish at peak performance trainning compared to Olympians.

And the proof of that is the constant massive gains made in League fitness over the last thirty years which continually proves how far off the performance ceiling this sport has been when it comes to fitness.

I have to be fair to league though, compared to say Athletics, or Swimming, it is a tiny sport in terms of a comparison.

The good news is that the Warriors are not far off the best in show, when it comes to preseason trainning - our lot came out very fit last year after stealing intellectual property and human resources from the best in comp - we literally had one preseason and came out as fit as the Penrith's of the world....no prizes for guessing how that happened.

Getting back to my original point, we need to find a way to train our B team and our C team, as well as little girls in NZ are being trained in Gyms by Eastern European coaches - borderline child abuse - and find a way for them to have to do four hours a day low impact some days, low impact extreme cardio...like my 12 year old girl chewed through like a machine six days a week because it was treated as normal and because 13 year olds were breaking world records and winning Olympic golds.
Just goes to show mush peak conditioning & cardio make a significant difference in a team as a whole & an individuals performance come game time…..the Warriors came out this year very fit & that in itself helped exponentially how deep into the finals they got regardless of skill & talent…..

My son played rep union/league & touch albeit age grade but his touch training was through the roof…..his coach had them heaving with nausea on fitness sessions most days, I felt sick just watching them. It was definitely borderline child abuse but come comp time they were firing and just wearing the opposition down with sheer fitness.

And like you said League is a very minute sport compared to gymnastics etc and those kids, especially from Eastern countries are flogged to the bone……I don’t think we can even begin to comprehend what they are forced to endure but boy does it make them superior athletes.

But you’d be surprised what the body can take mentally & physically being pushed to the edge…..but theres a ceiling for sure & there’s no team in the NRL that have reached and/or broken through it but they will get there, I put this down to the game originally for hard ass working class blokes just wanting to play a bone crunching game for sh*ts & giggles, players are getting bigger/faster & stronger by the season, gone are the days when you would have a few beers before running on to the field. “Legal” supplements help otherwise Connor McGregor secretly endorses using your nose like a Dyson for fish scale quality yayo pre walkouts.

Webster said last year our guys were fit and always have been. One thing he stated that he changed was putting them in match type situations so they could see they could do repeated efforts like defend their line for multiple sets then work the ball out from their line. Basically get them believing they could work through situations.

Running long distances is different to the repeated efforts you get in a game. Yes it helps build a base but it is different.

How we train our young players in both codes (union and league) probably needs improving. A lot probably don't do extras outside of when the team is together or do the grind some individual sports do. When it gets to the elite level the NRL training is fine and is up there with a lot of modern training methodologies. You need to remember this is a unique sport in terms of workloads. I'd compare it to MMA. You need the cardio to grind for long periods and a good aerobic base. Then you have all of the short sprints on both sides of the ball. Then there is the tackling, the impact itself takes it out of you. Now add in the grappling they do.

It is different training for a sport with a single dimension compared to something like boxing, MMA league or union which have changing demands. The previous paragraph I didn't even mention strength which is another area that needs to be covered.

I used to do a lot of fitness outside of my team sessions. Cricket I'd open the bowling, run around the outfield come back and bowl. Or do all my overs in one hit. The last ball would be the same as the first as I wouldn't slow down. Get on the league field and the first few games are still a shock.

This part of the world would be ahead of others in terms of the two rugby codes. My father used to mention when he first moved here from the UK guys would turn up for work sweating or a bit short of breath. He was surprised when they said they were training for the upcoming season as no one used to do that in the UK.

Webster said last year our guys were fit and always have been. One thing he stated that he changed was putting them in match type situations so they could see they could do repeated efforts like defend their line for multiple sets then work the ball out from their line. Basically get them believing they could work through situations.
Exactly this. We have had a number of fitness coaches over the last how many years, from Corvo to Wiki. Physical fitness has always been there or thereabouts. Mental fitness, individuals knowing their roles, working together... Has long been an issue for this club. How many times in the last 10 years have people posted something like 'we aren't a smart team'? That is what Webster has bought in and what has made Penrith so successful also. Training for game situations, resilience and mental strength. That has been the difference. And the more we do it, the more ingrained it becomes. We have had one preseason and one full season under Webster. The improvement has been huge. There will be incremental improvements this season that build on these foundations.

Seen Siale Faeamani in some of the preseason photos.

Any other train and trials people seeing in the photos? Apart from the ones everyone knows about obviously

That snippet from the Sydney Morning Herald is the first time I've seen the signing of RTS linked with any salary cap exemption.

I've asked the question when it was first announced that he was coming back that union players being exempt would come back every few years but never actioned. It would annoy the powers that be and the other clubs if we registered his contract referencing it or applying for it.

Then after his signing Sua'ali'i signed with the ARU the NRL management and media when a bit nuts and exemptions came up again. The chances of us signing a current All Black is slim to none unless it's 100% exempt from the cap for the entirety of the contract and the owner decided to free up huge amount of money. Even then the money would likely be better off long term on development.

A player on the fringes of All Black selection or Super Rugby/NPC level is more likely.

Jeez the boys look tight again, feeling like big things on the way. TSS in the third clip with his hair cut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back