Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Look I get it bro, I do. But IMO there are more positives than negatives.
He was named as bulldogs club captain I doubt they would have done that lightly.
It is reported that pretty much all RFM did was take some other players grievances to the bulldogs management. (For the record, although ruthless. I kinda support the bulldogs crushing any chance of a rebellion) None the less, it would seem to me that RFM is the unwitting casualty of that scenario. And I dare say he won’t make the same mistake again with us…… Nothing a contract stipulation can’t fix.

Now, the thing with Josh Curran and RFM. I’d argue that RFM is more the body type we need, at half the price.
This is our window (apparently). SJ will probably retire at the end of the season, AFB is probably leaving and Tohu is getting old. This is it. No one is confusing RFM as the second coming of Jesus, but we need as stronger squad as we can this year and RFM is better than any of our juniors (Atm). We get an ok experienced forward for nothing. If we have to pay more than half his salary then fuck that, then it’s a hell no. But bang for buck, come on guys be reasonable.

And we still have AFB’s money for 2025. Hopefully we get a good trade, I believe we will.
I get all that, it’s been reported that all he done was approach management on behalf of players but we don’t know that for sure, could be more in it….

Everyone is also assuming he will cost nothing. He’s on $400k can the dogs afford to pay $300k of that to play for another team? Maybe, but If so why arnt shit teams lining up for a $100k experienced player? I just think there is more to it…..

I get all that, it’s been reported that all he done was approach management on behalf of players but we don’t know that for sure, could be more in it….

Everyone is also assuming he will cost nothing. He’s on $400k can the dogs afford to pay $300k of that to play for another team? Maybe, but If so why arnt shit teams lining up for a $100k experienced player? I just think there is more to it…..
Teams wont be lining up for for the same reason us Warriors fans aren't jumping up and down at the prospect of signing him. Hes an aging and injurie prone journeyman. If the team want him gone and he wants to be back in NZ then its probably the easiest outcome for everyone. Paying $300k a year and solving a problem is still a better result for the Bulldogs than $400k per year and the drama of him clearly being shunned. People forget that a club releasing a player doesn't end the contract. RFM could easily say im only prepared to leave if its to the Warriors. Remember when the Tigers were paying $750k a year for Farrah to play for the Rabbitohs.

Reactions: CWC
Look I get it bro, I do. But IMO there are more positives than negatives.
He was named as bulldogs club captain I doubt they would have done that lightly.
It is reported that pretty much all RFM did was take some other players grievances to the bulldogs management. (For the record, although ruthless. I kinda support the bulldogs crushing any chance of a rebellion) None the less, it would seem to me that RFM is the unwitting casualty of that scenario. And I dare say he won’t make the same mistake again with us…… Nothing a contract stipulation can’t fix.

Now, the thing with Josh Curran and RFM. I’d argue that RFM is more the body type we need, at half the price.
This is our window (apparently). SJ will probably retire at the end of the season, AFB is probably leaving and Tohu is getting old. This is it. No one is confusing RFM as the second coming of Jesus, but we need as stronger squad as we can this year and RFM is better than any of our juniors (Atm). We get an ok experienced forward for nothing. If we have to pay more than half his salary then fuck that, then it’s a hell no. But bang for buck, come on guys be reasonable.

And we still have AFB’s money for 2025. Hopefully we get a good trade, I believe we will.
This... Spot on

there would be absolutely zero nrl contracts where a team takes on a player from another team and pays less than the nrl min salary for taking over that persons contract. people are dreaming.

Surely no one thinks wed be getting RFM for nothing, or less than the minimum registered contract for the NRL which is $120k.

But, Curran was on $480k I think? If we get RFM for $200k that saves us nearly $300k.

Still almost kinda pointless them paying $200k for RFM, and then the lowest contract they could register is $120k so they've really only saved themselves 80k

Fonua-Blake
Egan
Barnett
Ford
Niukore
Harris

Ale
Faitala-Mariner
Sifakula
Walker

We should be aiming for young, fit and explosive forwards. Faitala-Mariners 30 and has no aggression.

Our pack couldn’t keep up with the tempo of the broncos. All we need is 1 more gun prop to really for a premiership next year and that’s not going to happen if we sign him

Last edited:
I don't read into all the players following clubs etc on social platforms as a possible clue as to their next moves.

I think what seems more realistic is a possible negotiation between the Bulldogs and Catalans in Super League with the release of Sio Siua Taukeiaho still yet to be granted. I think we may find that Raymond Faitala-Mariner has nothing to do with the Warriors.

Ok, just so there’s no confusion.
RFM is on a reported 400k, I would not accept anything less than the bulldogs paying half that. Which would mean we only pay 200k on our cap.

200k for an decent, experienced forward (with all his flaws) I think is more than fair. (That’s 200k at absolute most btw)

Just for the record, I would be flabbergasted if the club actually considered him a replacement for AFB.

there would be absolutely zero nrl contracts where a team takes on a player from another team and pays less than the nrl min salary for taking over that persons contract. people are dreaming.
Was there a stipulation that Lodge had to get a minimum contract from the Roosters on top of his full salary from us?

Was there a stipulation that Lodge had to get a minimum contract from the Roosters on top of his full salary from us?
I'd say he'd have signed minimum contract at worst.
Not the NRL's lookout that Mohawk had a brain fart/guilty conscience when agreeing to pay off Lodge more than was legally required. There's another thing: Does the payoff show entirely on the Warriors cap for 22 and 23 or was some of it personal from Mohawk? That might also make a difference to the minimum salary requirements for contracts when a player is released mid-season.

He was released from his contract from us through the settlement. We weren't subsidising his deal with anyone. Once released he was able to get any deal from whoever he wanted.
yes, different scenario.

In the RFM case, how would it work in terms of contracts and salary cap allocation? If he is on $400k at the Bulldogs and if we choose to sign him with the Bulldogs saying they will contribute to some of his salary, do we register the contract for $400k or do we register it for what we are actually paying him? If it's the full $400k then is it possible, in theory, for us to pay him less than the minimum or even nothing, as long as in total he is being paid what the contract is worth? Contract is $400k, so as long as it is being paid and its coming off someone's salary cap then everything balances?

yes, different scenario.

In the RFM case, how would it work in terms of contracts and salary cap allocation? If he is on $400k at the Bulldogs and if we choose to sign him with the Bulldogs saying they will contribute to some of his salary, do we register the contract for $400k or do we register it for what we are actually paying him? If it's the full $400k then is it possible, in theory, for us to pay him less than the minimum or even nothing, as long as in total he is being paid what the contract is worth? Contract is $400k, so as long as it is being paid and its coming off someone's salary cap then everything balances?
i thought what ever you pay comes off your salary cap? if we paid $100k and the bulldogs paid $300k then those are the same amounts that come off the cap. Lodge hurt bad because paying him out still hurt our cap for ages after.

If they are paying 100% of the contract, I guess they might as well release him.

If he is making 400k, and I think the minimum contract is 220k, if this is happening, I would be hoping the Dogs are paying at least 100k of that so we are just paying him the minimum.

I hope for Ray's sake that he can get the full 400 out of the Dogs for shafting him and then get the minimum from us as a free agent, rather than striking a deal with us to pay a percentage, but that is probably dreamland
Releasing him isnt the same as paying him out. Releasing him just gives him the option to break his contract. Normally you just find a another team you want to play for and the team that released you picks up the difference. but it all depends on who wants to go.

i thought what ever you pay comes off your salary cap? if we paid $100k and the bulldogs paid $300k then those are the same amounts that come off the cap. Lodge hurt bad because paying him out still hurt our cap for ages after.

Interesting....can anyone confirm how this works?

I would have thought if he had a 400k contract with Dogs, who then let him sign for us for $200k and they pay the rest, that his contract with us would only be $200k of our salary cap.

Or else, what's the point? We may as well give him the whole $400k if we're going to be charged that way against our cap

If they are paying 100% of the contract, I guess they might as well release him.

If he is making 400k, and I think the minimum contract is 220k, at least under the old cap, so if this is happening I would be hoping the Dogs are paying at least 100k of that so we are basically paying him the minimum.

I kind of hope for Ray's sake that he (and the RLPA..) can get the full 400k out of the Dogs for shafting him and then get the minimum from us as a free agent, rather than striking a deal with us to pay a percentage, but that is dreamland
If they release him they still have to pay the $400k and it comes off their cap. He can then be picked up by another club, similar to how Lodge was.

What I was getting at, perhaps not articulated very well, was do we have to contribute the minimum ie $220k or as long as the contract is above minimum and is being paid by someone then its ok. For example if we take over the Bulldogs contract of $400k with the condition that $300k is paid for by the Bulldogs off their cap and we only pay $100k from our cap is that acceptable by the NRL?

Back